Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Learned my lesson and paid my tuition (missing flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Learned my lesson and paid my tuition (missing flight)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been told that when I have a domestic flight connecting to an international segment, the domestic check in and bag drop deadlines apply, although this situation always makes me nervous. I think I tested it a couple times without any bad outcomes.

If this is still correct, it sounds like the OP should have been allowed to check in and check a bag for his/her flight, although it was close. If OP was in line and the problem was not being served quickly enough, it should have been possible for a station manager or similar employee to override the deadline and allow the OP to check in and drop a bag.
This is accurate. The cut off applies to the nature of the flight (domestic/international) from the bag check point. The check off times are determined based on the infrastructure constraints and volume at the airport. It makes no difference to the SAN crew if the bag is flying SAN-LAX or SAN-LAX-PVG.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Regardless of the luggage cut-off, it's always wise to arrive a bit early for the first leg of an international journey. Because the check-in-agent or GA will need to check your visa, passport, etc to check eligibility for your international destination. Even if all your ducks are in a row, a poorly trained agent (worse at contract outstations that don't deal with this often) can cause a 10-15 minute delay. And if there is a genuine problem, it can take longer.
kthomas likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by runningformqm
i​​​m more surprised that they reiussed without repricing it as lax-pvg
In this case, I disagree. Since OP was physically at the airport close to check cutoff (albeit late), I don't see any attempt at hidden city malice. It would seem pretty heavy handed to reissue LAX-PVG given that.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by hjz131
I agree, I feel extremely thankful to Delta. I was on an OY fare from LAX-PVG (used miles to upgrade from PS -> D1), does that change anything? I know Delta is more relaxed about award tickets.
How many miles for that, if you don't mind sharing?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
In this case, I disagree. Since OP was physically at the airport close to check cutoff (albeit late), I don't see any attempt at hidden city malice. It would seem pretty heavy handed to reissue LAX-PVG given that.
Also, I think LAX-PVG is typically a lot less than SAN-PVG pricing?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Indeed, the 5x was clawed back and reposted as the normal 2x.
Yep, I noticed that as well.

I wish they have a term like all skymile depositions are final, no changes can be made afterward....
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kthomas
How many miles for that, if you don't mind sharing?
I spent 45k each way to upgrade from G to D1, but this 45k is only for LAX-PVG and I still fly C+ for SAN-LAX (although everyone gets their upgrades at their upgrade window).
kthomas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.