Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overcrowded SkyClubs...A Thing Of The Past?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite

I'm sure that I speak for everyone here who visits DL's SkyClubs....it will be interesting to start hearing from anyone who has visited a SkyClub from today forward, to hear if there appears to be less people inside, particularly at the more popular ones at the major hubs, and also at LAX, SFO etc. I would guess that there could be a drop-off in the numbers, but only time will tell! All this of course would be due to the new 2019 SkyClub entry requirements, and other factors such as the Medallion demotions, which could have an effect!
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by audidudi; Feb 1, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:59 am

Wonder how the P&L is affected with fewer patrons. I “hope” that rev stays relatively flat while utilization shrinks. Then they can put a little more into the food and power in every seat.
Viperfreak2 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I doubt there will be any noticeable effect in Delta's hubs. Maybe some outstation Skyclubs will be a little less busy where people might fly other airlines more regularly but had membership with Delta. Of course, the outstation hubs were already not very crowded on average... so, net net, I'm not really sure what Delta really accomplished with the rule change.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know people who decided not to renew their SC membership as a result of the same day DL or partner flight requirement. They'll largely be gone from the lounge (unless they acquire credit cards for access when flying DL or pay for single entry passes) but so will their annual membership fees.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I’m one who didn’t renew my membership because of the new requirement. I do travelers assistance volunteer work at MSP 1-3 times a week and would sometimes use the SC before or after a volunteer shift. Now I’ll just use it when on international itineraries.

Delta hasn’t lost money on my absence because I paid with SkyMiles. But I was a low-cost member as I don’t drink alcohol.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I have not seen any difference
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I’m one who didn’t renew my membership because of the new requirement. I do travelers assistance volunteer work at MSP 1-3 times a week and would sometimes use the SC before or after a volunteer shift. Now I’ll just use it when on international itineraries.

Delta hasn’t lost money on my absence because I paid with SkyMiles. But I was a low-cost member as I don’t drink alcohol.
While not as value as $1, SkyMiles are still money for all intents and purposes. They are a liability on Delta's balance sheet created whenever they gain revenue from flights from a SkyMiles member. From a financials perspective it is a good as money (well, at least as good at .5 cents per SkyMile or so or whatever Delta values them at all in (incl. spoilage)).
Zorak, CarmenOM and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

The previous rule still required members to have a same-day flight (on any airline) to enter. How were you able to enter without that?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
The previous rule still required members to have a same-day flight (on any airline) to enter. How were you able to enter without that?
I am sure whatever gate pass the volunteers got would work for the scanners (but I could be wrong).
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:11 am

The JAX club is always packed. Hopeful it will lighten up now, but kinda doubt it. I'll let you know next week.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:11 am

Anyone who has decent credit and no DL status can still obtain a DL Reserve card which more and more people seem to be using for SC access. I gave up my SC membership last year as the $450 DL Reserve card was a better deal and included a valuable companion certificate.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
I am sure whatever gate pass the volunteers got would work for the scanners (but I could be wrong).
Thats right. Any gate pass will get you past security and then it was only your membership card that was needed.
I have done it few times dropping off kids and picking up when they travelled as UM
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Anyone who has decent credit and no DL status can still obtain a DL Reserve card which more and more people seem to be using for SC access. I gave up my SC membership last year as the $450 DL Reserve card was a better deal and included a valuable companion certificate.
I would go with the Amex Platinum Charge card. $550 instead of $450 annual fee but you get a $200 credit per year that you can put towards DL and you get 5x points (which if you want you can transfer to Delta) on booked flights instead of 2x. Whole host of other benefits over the reserve card too
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I would go with the Amex Platinum Charge card. $550 instead of $450 annual fee but you get a $200 credit per year that you can put towards DL and you get 5x points (which if you want you can transfer to Delta) on booked flights instead of 2x. Whole host of other benefits over the reserve card too
I need the Reserve card to obtain the additional MQMs to get me from Gold to Platinum.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I'd wager that a large majority of people with the Reserve card also utilize it for the MQD waiver, which you wouldn't get with the standard Amex Platinum.

Just a theory, though.
ExArkie, TheHorta and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.