Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Interrupted travel - Delta comps hotel - do I earn hotel points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat

Subject line sums it up but, let's say, I get stuck overnight in Atlanta and Delta agrees to give me a hotel somewhere.

I'm wondering, is the rate Delta is paying for me going to earn me qualifying nights/hotel points at whatever chain they stick me in? Or will it be one of those "third party discount rates don't count" kind of thing? (Imagine it's a Marriott or a Hilton brand.) .

Anyone have experience?

(I'm clearly psycho about points, stuck at SNA for 7 hrs and all I care about is earning points out of it...)
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
When I was stranded in DTW overnight due to coming in 4 hours late and missing my connection, I was given a voucher for the Westin hotel attached to the airport. I had Platinum status with both Delta and SPG, but was not able to earn SPG points.
MSPeconomist and Brendan like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Highly unlikely but I suspect very much property rather than chain dependent.

My only airline paid overnight was the Hampton MDW, exceeded expectations but not point earning.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Probably not: no points, no elite night credit, and no status benefits are the rules with most chains, but YMMV and the individual property or front desk agent would be free to offer lounge access, upgrades, etc. as above and beyond benefits.

If you get a voucher for a decent hotel you're doing very well. If you get any comped hotel at all if the cause is weather or ATC, you're doing extremely well.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
My experience on multiple occasions is no hotel credit for Delta paid stays. I have not used a DL reduced rate paid from my pocket so no experience but I would expect no credit in that case as well.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally disqualified from points earning in the T&C's. Here's the section from SPG --

"However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by corporations on an ongoing basis, and master-billed rooms are not eligible to earn Points/Miles and Elite Night Credit."
writerguyfl and Brendan like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
This past Monday I was given a hotel voucher by Delta at the Sheraton Four Points DTW. I literally gave the woman at the front desk my voucher and she literally went through a stack of keys and gave me one that said "Distress". That was it. Simplest deal I have ever had! No points, no nights, no nothing other than a clean room and 7 hours of quality sleep!
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spudley007
This past Monday I was given a hotel voucher by Delta at the Sheraton Four Points DTW. I literally gave the woman at the front desk my voucher and she literally went through a stack of keys and gave me one that said "Distress". That was it. Simplest deal I have ever had! No points, no nights, no nothing other than a clean room and 7 hours of quality sleep!
Didn't you need to let the hotel swipe a credit card for any additional charges such as room service and phone calls?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:20 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
With the vouchers that do not give points.

The one time I misconnected, I had issues finding people to help at JFK but called the Plat desk and they authorized me to just book a hotel and asked me to send in the receipt for reimbursement for the hotel and meals.
tvnwz likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:22 pm

I've also spent numerous hotel nights over the years at an airline's expense. My hotel chain elite status is always recognized for benefits, but never for points.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I stayed at the Sheraton, Tokyo Bay, on a VDB. Got no points, no benefits, just a room that smelled like smoke.

I would have thought I would get benefits, not points. I was told that was a Sheraton thing.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spamkiller
......I would have thought I would get benefits, not points. I was told that was a Sheraton thing.
That's the rules for all frequent guest programs that I am aware of, not just Sheraton. However, some hotels grant elite benefits if you run into a nice front desk agent. As to points, you need to hope for computer mix up.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
During an overnight delay though ATL I was given a room at a $30/night Days Inn. Do they even offer a loyalty program?

​​​​​​Hindsight is that I was on work travel and I didn't think to just get our TA to put me in a proper hotel for the night I've come a long way.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Airlines are paying contract rates to certain hotels that do not include loyalty points. So the $120 you pay for the Hampton is probably going to cost Delta $70-80 but the cost of points is not built into that rate.

My only Delta comped hotel was in MSP due to a mechanical delay. Days Inn by the mall. Bed was so worn out that it was like sleeping in a crater.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
During an overnight delay though ATL I was given a room at a $30/night Days Inn. Do they even offer a loyalty program?.....
Days Inn is part of Choice Privileges which is pretty useless anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.