Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two gripes: pouring soda & no free check of carry-on eligible bags at front counter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two gripes: pouring soda & no free check of carry-on eligible bags at front counter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

Two things I wanted to get off my chest and am curious if others agree:

1. Why is it that Delta, and most airlines, pour the soda into a cup instead of just handing out the whole can (without a cup)? I drink soda out of a can in my normal daily life; I can do it at 32,000 feet as well. I would imagine that the beverage service would go about 4 times faster if FAs simply walked down the aisle handing out cans of soda (or water bottles, juice, whatever). The "cost savings" of serving only a partial can is, I imagine, quite minimal given that volume discounts airlines must get on soda, and is counteracted by the cost of cups and ice. And, handing out whole cans would also enable beverage service on those short "up and down" flights that currently do not have sufficient time to do a beverage service in Y.

2. Why is it that Delta, and the other airlines, do not allow non-status passengers to check "carry on eligible" bags for free in the front of the airport (up to one per passenger)? The airlines allow - and in fact encourage - passengers to check bags at the gate, which is complimentary. Why not just allow passengers to check small bags out front? Benefits are as follows:
For passengers:
(a) No need to invest in trial-sized toothpaste, shave cream, and other liquid-ish toiletries
(b) Faster security screening for self and others
(c) Don't need to be in a big hurry to board (and play the game of lining up early) in order to secure overhead bin space
(d) It's just generally more pleasant to navigate airports without a bag in tow.

For airline:
(a) No hassle of dealing with gate-checked bags (makes life easier for gate agents as well as baggage crews)
(b) Fewer delays caused by full overhead bins that necessitate last-minute scrambling to check bags or otherwise find a solution
(c) I doubt there would be any loss of revenue whatsoever because I imagine it is extraordinarily rare for someone to pay to check a bag that is eligible to be carried on.

For the record, I often check carry-on-eligible bags, because as an elite (and Delta Amex card holder), it's free . . . and mishandled baggage is a very, very rare phenomenon (my checked bags have not arrived with me only two times in 25 years of frequent flying). But no way would I ever pay to check a carry-on eligible bag.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Many passengers would still want a glass and ice, even if given a full can - so the current method reduces consumption overall. It’s probably as much about weight as it is cost of the beverages provided.

Other considerations could include the inability to provide all beverages in their original container (as some are stocked in bulk), and a desire to be consistent with how beverages are served to all passengers; the need for a vessel to mix sodas with alcohol for passengers interested; and the major mess and hassle of disposing of a bag full of half-drunk soda cans at the end of the flight.

I don’t think I’ve ever been denied when asking politely for a full can on Delta - just request it and they’re usually happy to oblige, if not during the service certainly immediately afterwards. (American, now that’s a different story. I’m apparently no George Clooney... but I already knew that.)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
As far as the cans go, have you ever seen the crap that can get on the lid of a soda can? It can be quite unsanitary. There are horror stories of rat feces, etc., and the airlines are trying to hedge against that.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For #2 , a surprising amount of baggage fee revenue is driven by overhead bin anxiety among the general public. Even though we, as frequent travelers, know that gate checking is usually permitted for free and even encouraged - the general passenger worries about finding space, and is willing to pay for the peace of mind of not fighting for it. I agree boarding would be more expedient, as it is on international flights where a checked bag is included... but the fee revenue wins out for the foreseeable future.
3Cforme likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:01 pm

As to your second point, $$$. They only do the complimentary gate check when it is convenient for them (e.g. when the overhead bins are going to be full).
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jwlowry
As far as the cans go, have you ever seen the crap that can get on the lid of a soda can? It can be quite unsanitary. There are horror stories of rat feces, etc., and the airlines are trying to hedge against that.
While I agree, I’m not sure this is a pro for the current system, as the flight attendant usually unceremoniously opens the can, dumping whatever’s on the tab into the drink. I’ve seen some be conscientious about wiping them off, but... not all.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Have you asked for the can and was denied?

I agree that Delta's baggage ops is pretty fantastic and the bonus if bags are late is nice when there is a delay.

And if there was a perfect solution to carry-ons, every airline would be doing it the same way. I would love to know the cost of delivering a bag to its destination if checked at front counter vs checking at gate. When Ed was on CNBC back in December, he was asked about the cost to check a bag and Ed didn't know that exact number.
That part is at 6:20 https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/12/1...d-bastian.html

Also Delta's credit card revenue is growing nicely and is a very high margin part of their business, so if they can push people to get a DL credit card and get free checked bags, that might be the solution they want to pursue most.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by andrewk829
Why is it that Delta, and most airlines, pour the soda into a cup instead of just handing out the whole can (without a cup)?
Jet Blue gives the whole can.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
This
Originally Posted by BenA
Many passengers would still want a glass and ice, even if given a full can - so the current method reduces consumption overall.
And this
Originally Posted by jwlowry
As to your second point, $$$. They only do the complimentary gate check when it is convenient for them (e.g. when the overhead bins are going to be full).

Also re cans....
There have been so many frills removed from air travel, let me have my cup and ice. I dread the ambiance of the flight attendants walking down the aisle chucking cans of soda at us like at a ball game. If I want that kind of service I will fly Southwest (they basically do that with the snacks).

I do agree about the cans being dirty, plus pouring soda into a cup, especially with ice, reduces the carbonation, which I much prefer than drinking from the can or bottle.

Don't get me wrong I am not above drinking from the can, but given the choice I prefer not.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
While I agree, I’m not sure this is a pro for the current system, as the flight attendant usually unceremoniously opens the can, dumping whatever’s on the tab into the drink. I’ve seen some be conscientious about wiping them off, but... not all.
Yeah. I am not saying it is effective, but it may be perceived as more hygienic. Plus, there is also the $$$ - they would serve roughly twice as many sodas if they 'canned' all the pax.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think $$ is the simple answer to both your questions.

More complimentary drinks = more $$
More cans on board = more weight = more $$
Adding bev service on shorter flights = more $$

I understand being annoyed by this but surely you understand your request would cost more. As the cans aren't always cold enough, and not everyone wants to drink out of a can, I don't forsee significant savings on cups or ice.

The size of airlines makes even small cost differences significant. Lets say each can now serves 2-3 people. You want it to serve 1. Since some may go half used, lets just round down to 2. Delta flies 180 million passengers a year. If half of them have just one soft drink, that's 90 million cans vs. 45 million cans. Even if the cans cost 20 cents apiece to Delta, that's VERY conservatively $9 million a year you want Delta to spend. 'Quite minimal' indeed.

As for baggage, it would mean those paying for checked baggage for reasons beyond size (liquids, firearms, etc) would get that for free. It would mean having to check sizing to decide if a checked bag is free or not. It would create more work for the GA and baggage agents. That all costs DL revenue.
Duke787 likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 31, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
I dread the ambiance of the flight attendants walking down the aisle chucking cans of soda at us like at a ball game.
Although, it might help them deal with the more 'unruly' pax. Especially as their throwing skills continued to improve.
daloosh and defrosted like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
This

And this

Also re cans....
There have been so many frills removed from air travel, let me have my cup and ice. I dread the ambiance of the flight attendants walking down the aisle chucking cans of soda at us like at a ball game. If I want that kind of service I will fly Southwest (they basically do that with the snacks).

I do agree about the cans being dirty, plus pouring soda into a cup, especially with ice, reduces the carbonation, which I much prefer than drinking from the can or bottle.

Don't get me wrong I am not above drinking from the can, but given the choice I prefer not.
Southwest is even stingier with soda- they use those tiny cups, and FAs are told to limit the number of full cans they give out as their planes can go 3-4 flights without getting re-stocked. As it is, their galleys are completely full with items for the beverage service, and snacks have to go in the overhead bin at the last row of the plane. It's less of an issue on longer flights as most get provisioned at both ends, but there are some near-transcon 738 flights that have to ration drinks and snacks on the outbound leg so they don't run out on the return.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:08 pm

Delta does not have to use 12oz cans, they could hand out 8oz cans. Also, when the flight attendants open a can to pour it, they don't wipe it down, so anything unsanitary on the top of the can is going into your drink.

Regarding bags, I only check them on international flights. I just hate waiting at the destination for bags to come out. However, if a short connection and I'm in the exit row instead of up front, I'll often gate check my bag. I've never been told no.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I find the whole can is too much.

And practically - give everyone a can, and they will be using the can/ lav throughout the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.