Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does medallion status change?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

When does medallion status change?

I assume as you qualify for a higher metal, your status changes right away. But if you don't continue to qualify, when do they downgrade you? Is it calendar year qualification? Rolling 12 months? Something else?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
February 1 unless it's a special promo or status challenge.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:33 pm

Last year it was 1/31 as the last day of old status. When you wake up on 2/1 your new lower status should be in effect.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Medallion status runs on the basis of calendar year. Status runs from the time you earn it in the previous year to January 31 of the following year. So for the 2019 status year it runs from the date in 2018 you qualified for your highest status level until January 31, 2020.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, the big question is whether DL uses midnight ATL time (the mothership) or the time zone of the address on your FF account or the time zone of the airport of your departure or ......?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
I don’t think an hour one way or the other is the key point of the question. The bottom line is that the period goes through 1/31 and 2/1 is the start of the new cycle.
MarkP24 and Mr. Tickets like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
I don’t think an hour one way or the other is the key point of the question. The bottom line is that the period goes through 1/31 and 2/1 is the start of the new cycle.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Just wondering what will happen. Was platinum June 2017 to June 2018 based on a corporate promotion. Was flying every week at the time. Stopped the weekly flying in October 2017, but the platinum continued until June 2018. Have been silver ever since, with only a few flights during that time. Wondering if silver is a permanent thing from my company, or if (and when) it will disappear.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:27 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
When you wake up on 2/1 your new lower status should be in effect.
@:-) Thanx for another good reason to stay in bed on a cold Friday morning!
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.

Last edited by davetravels; Jan 30, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, the big question is whether DL uses midnight ATL time (the mothership) or the time zone of the address on your FF account or the time zone of the airport of your departure or ......?
Originally Posted by cre95
Agreed. Still interesting to know.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Well, for selecting Choice Benefits, the cut-off time is at 11.59pm tonight EST, so I assume that at midnight tonight EST, Medallion status change will also occur!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:27 am

Someone who's going down in status should stay up to watch this and report back.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
What happens for someone who is going down in status from the 2018 Medallion year to the 2019 Medallion year, but their flight is tomorrow (2/1), and the check in is today (1/31). Once you're checked in, can your applicable status go up or down? Or, the status you used to check-in will remain the same throughout the course of that flight? Any experience here? Asking for a friend I remain DM!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Someone who's going down in status should stay up to watch this and report back.
paging davetravels ...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dEagleS
What happens for someone who is going down in status from the 2018 Medallion year to the 2019 Medallion year, but their flight is tomorrow (2/1), and the check in is today (1/31). Once you're checked in, can your applicable status go up or down? Or, the status you used to check-in will remain the same throughout the course of that flight?
I would guess that anybody expecting to use expiring status for a baggage fee waiver on 2/1 is going to be disappointed. But it's just a guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.