Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why can't agents book/price 3-stop itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't agents book/price 3-stop itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a strange example because SDQ isn't domestic and the only DL flights from Ithaca go to DTW. There's no ITH-ATL service.

Yes, it is strange. I never said it was a domestic itinerary. I agree with you that the routing rules are overbroad, Many cities that serve neither ITH or SDQ are listed as potential first/last cxn points.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sure, you can create any routing that you want. There is just no guarantee that Delta will treat it as a single trip between city pairs. I specifically said requires. And my point still stands - no US city pairs require more than two stops to get between.

I don't think anyone here understands what you're asking.

If you're asking an agent to do a change for IRROPS, then they are usually flexible, but they have no obligations to pick whatever arbitrary routing you want. If you can get to A to B within a reasonable timeframe then they have fulfilled their obligation. Given that connecting at a bunch of extra hubs actually takes longer, I'm not surprised they don't want to put you on that route. Delta does not owe you any specific routing. If you don't like how that impacts your MQMs, then ask for original routing credit. Jeez.

FFS, i was asking for routing explicitly allowed by the fare rules as posted above. I had a 4 segment trip at first, WX waiver hit, and wanted to retain a 4 segment trip, just via different (AND PERMISSIBLE) cities.

Is your purpose here to dissuade me from ever posting again? Because your arrogant hostility is not helping; I was asking why DL agents have issues (presumably technical rather than competency) with reissuing/rebooking such trips.

I'd gladly take one less cxn, btw
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The "normal" routing here would be ITH-DTW-ATL-SDQ. If you want to visit a third hub, going ITH-DTW-MSP-ATL-SDQ or ITH-DTW-LGA-ATL-SDQ might not look unreasonable.

However, one problem is that the ITH flights are normally operated with a CRJ-200 (about three times a day, so the connection times can be hard to get something reasonable) and delta.dumb tends to not offer G A P fares for the mainline connecting segments unless the flight you're trying to book is sold out in coach. It won't normally sell a FC through fare and just put you in coach or C+ on the CRJ segment.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The "normal" routing here would be ITH-DTW-ATL-SDQ. If you want to visit a third hub, going ITH-DTW-MSP-ATL-SDQ or ITH-DTW-JFK-ATL-SDQ might not look unreasonable.

However, one problem is that the ITH flights are normally operated with a CRJ-200 (about three times a day, so the connection times can be hard to get something reasonable) and delta.dumb tends to not offer G A P fares for the mainline connecting segments unless the flight you're trying to book is sold out in coach. It won't normally sell a FC through fare and just put you in coach or C+ on the CRJ segment.

THANK YOU for providing a voice a reason here. Aside from ITH-DTW-ATL-SDQ, ITH-DTW-JFK-SDQ is also readily apparent. The folks who posted upstream may not like it, but even ITH-DTW-ATL-JFK-SDQ can work esp when the timings of the ITH-DTW and ATL/JFK dont quite align.

The CR2 is a whole 'nother issue. UGH. I'm sure I'll be shamed for expressing that opinion, too.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by kop84
So which is it? And if you're as rude to the DL phone reps as you are being to people on this thread, no wonder they don't want to help you add a completely unnecessary segment.
And they called 11 times haha
I'm noticing a trend here..
Flying unnecessary segments, calling in an exorbitant amount of times and expecting a different answer even after call #8 lol Then reacting quite rudely when they weren't given answers on this that fit their motive.
Hmmm...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Thanks for posting the 25 different "runs". Problem with being rebooked is, that agents usually think "timewise" instead of segment/MQM wise. It could indeed be the case that Amadeus does not favor the schedules that you have posted. I've been having the same issue when doing the OTP-PHX BA/OW runs, I can set up the schedule with 6 stops, however, when there is 1 delay or cancellation, I end up with max 2 layovers, due to the agents not being able to book more segments.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
Had a similar experience. I've turned BOS-LGA-SAV into BOS-JFK-DTW-ATL-SAV during one of the snowstorms. I simply gave the agent on the PM line the flight numbers. Her system wouldn't let her reissue. She placed me on hold while she contacted Global Ticketing Support (or maybe the reissues desk, not sure). Took about 45 minutes on hold, but they were able to force it through manually. Instead of an even exchange (L for L), ended up with "Y" fares on each segment. IROPS typically means a lot of the published fare rules get overlooked due to it being Service Recovery.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
OP, why not post the routing as opposed to this back and forth to "think harder" to figure out?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
In asking for help or an explanation it's best to be as specific as possible.

Award routings in the U.S., and between the U.S. and Canada, appear to be limited to 3 segments on a single fare component. (I have checked a few city pairs since the 11/2014 rule changes and am pretty comfortable stating it as a general rule.) Award routings U.S. - Mexico, and U.S. non-Canada international, appear to be generally limited to four segments, again on a single fare component. As for paid routings, check the rule for the fare you're willing to pay, for the specific airport pair, from the country in which you propose to buy the ticket. Yes, U.S. carrier fares can be that specific. Without that info people are just stuck guessing.

ITH-SDQ permits 4 segments on even cheap coach fares. ITA Matrix quickly found a DL VNNA0SBZ ITH to SDQ, ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ. It is true some of the routing rules 'permit' service that isn't presently operated by Delta. I get the impression that routing rules are updated infrequently. There's probably lots of xxx-CVG-YYY or XXX-MEM-YYY that has been gone for years. Delta.com did not propose the ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ routing - nor any other 4-segment routing among all offered - for the date checked.

I don't know that it's the intent of weather waivers to enable passengers to chase MQM. The carrier's obligation is to transport one from the origin to the destination, or, with two fare components, from origin-destination1, destination1-destination2, as used to be possible DTW-MDW-MSP to beat the high DTW-MSP fares.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: DL DM
OP, I am curious about how you booked on delta.com, was it directly through a search on delta.com or via another way? I've noticed something similar in the past. If I try using the delta.com search (dummy booking for March 19), I get only 7 options, all with only two connections, either DTW-JFK or DTW-ATL. However, if I try a ITA Matrix search, then use Bookwithmatrix.com (selecting Delta under the Book With dropdown), I can purchase through Delta.com a number of 3-connection routings, for instance DTW-ATL-JFK (but other combos available too) at the same low pricing as the 2-stop. I wonder if the agents search/booking capability is somehow similarly limited as the delta.com search functionality.
tvnwz likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by davedeboston

And they called 11 times haha
I'm noticing a trend here..
Flying unnecessary segments, calling in an exorbitant amount of times and expecting a different answer even after call #8 lol Then reacting quite rudely when they weren't given answers on this that fit their motive.
Hmmm...
Especially during IROPs. I mean I fully admit to booking extra segments for extra MQMs, new routes on the flight map, or just getting extra flights, and if DL will sell them that way, DL is obviously okay with it but during IROPs, every seat OP takes on a flight to keep up his round the country trip with more-than-necessary segments is one less seat DL can use for another IROP'ed passenger and the time spent trying to force it through the system is time they can't spend assisting another passenger, so I can see legitimately why DL agents have no desire to go above and beyond to accommodate such a request during IROPs when there are more efficient options available. OP can always apply for ORC afterward.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by davedeboston
Then reacting quite rudely when they weren't given answers on this that fit their motive.
Hmmm...
OP does that a lot.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
In asking for help or an explanation it's best to be as specific as possible.

Award routings in the U.S., and between the U.S. and Canada, appear to be limited to 3 segments on a single fare component. (I have checked a few city pairs since the 11/2014 rule changes and am pretty comfortable stating it as a general rule.) Award routings U.S. - Mexico, and U.S. non-Canada international, appear to be generally limited to four segments, again on a single fare component. As for paid routings, check the rule for the fare you're willing to pay, for the specific airport pair, from the country in which you propose to buy the ticket. Yes, U.S. carrier fares can be that specific. Without that info people are just stuck guessing.

ITH-SDQ permits 4 segments on even cheap coach fares. ITA Matrix quickly found a DL VNNA0SBZ ITH to SDQ, ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ. It is true some of the routing rules 'permit' service that isn't presently operated by Delta. I get the impression that routing rules are updated infrequently. There's probably lots of xxx-CVG-YYY or XXX-MEM-YYY that has been gone for years. Delta.com did not propose the ITH-DTW-DCA-JFK-SDQ routing - nor any other 4-segment routing among all offered - for the date checked.

I don't know that it's the intent of weather waivers to enable passengers to chase MQM. The carrier's obligation is to transport one from the origin to the destination, or, with two fare components, from origin-destination1, destination1-destination2, as used to be possible DTW-MDW-MSP to beat the high DTW-MSP fares.
Somewhat OT, but AFAIK DL, including PMNW/PMDL, have never flown any ITH route other than to/from DTW. ITH service was added five or ten years ago with four CRJ-200 flights on most days to/from DTW and within the last couple years this has been reduced to three flights in each direction on most days. It's a small airport, although they built a new terminal at some point and now even have jetways.

Service originally was Mohawk, which became part of Allegheny and then USAir, now dba AA. I suspect that UA and other carriers never served ITH, although they might do Elmira, another small upstate NY airport, located about an hour's drive from Ithaca.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I suspect that UA and other carriers never served ITH, although they might do Elmira, another small upstate NY airport, located about an hour's drive from Ithaca.
There are two United Express flights a day from ITH to IAD, operated by Commutair. There are also two flights from ELM to EWR, but in April those flights change to IAD.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I get the impression that routing rules are updated infrequently. There's probably lots of xxx-CVG-YYY or XXX-MEM-YYY that has been gone for years.
Adding data point. Delta updated the routing rules for LGA-CHO on 11/26/18 (Comparing full fare basis Y using ticketing date in expert flyer, it wasn't just a discount fare change)

Before: NYC-RDU/NYC/DTT/CVG/BOS/ATL-CHO
After: NYC-RDU/NYC/DTT/CVG/BOS-CHO

Only service into CHO is from LGA and ATL, so deleting ATL had the effect of requiring non-stop routing. But if Delta is going through the step of changing routing rules, I wonder why they leave RDU/DTT/CVG/BOS in there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.