Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta same day standby - comfort upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

Plat medallions

We did standby on the way home for an earlier flight today.

The GE took her time clearing all the upgrades and standbys. Like didn’t start doing the first upgrades till boarding was already into zone 2.

there were 6 comfort plus available after the comfort upgrade list cleared per the monitors.
we were #1,2,3 (2 separate reservations) on the standby list.

Instead of clearing us into that she put us into main cabin all separated. There were like 20 other standby people after us.

Any good old reason we wouldn’t have been put into comfort since we were the 1st 3 on the standby list and all the other upgrades had cleared?

Last edited by cboy; Jan 28, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hard to believe there would be no one on the upgrade list given all the medallions out there through Silver.

That aside, the standard procedure is for the GA to first do all upgrades before processing standbys. So, by definition, standbys will be out of luck as far as upgrades go.

Folk will have different perspectives on whether this procedure makes sense or not. Some may say that standbys should be cleared first and then do upgrades. Others will be happy of the current order.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cre95
Hard to believe there would be no one on the upgrade list given all the medallions out there through Silver.

That aside, the standard procedure is for the GA to first do all upgrades before processing standbys. So, by definition, standbys will be out of luck as far as upgrades go.

Folk will have different perspectives on whether this procedure makes sense or not. Some may say that standbys should be cleared first and then do upgrades. Others will be happy of the current order.

we could see the list of upgrade requests on the monitors. I was surprised too. The list for first was like 20 people but for comfort it was only 3 people.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you ask the GA to please assign you C+ seats if possible?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Weird. My last standby - I got cleared into C+. Asked agent if I could get into F but she said no (it's the rules). Instead, they cleared a deadheading pilot into F.

​Upgrade list was cleared and there was 1 open seat in F.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kxc262
Weird. My last standby - I got cleared into C+. Asked agent if I could get into F but she said no (it's the rules). Instead, they cleared a deadheading pilot into F.

​Upgrade list was cleared and there was 1 open seat in F.
If you had requested the FC upgrade and were cleared onto the flight before the pilot was assigned a seat, complain to DL.

Do you know whether the pilot was on the standby list (NRSA travel) or had positive space (deadheading)?
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ask the GA to please assign you C+ seats if possible?
Yep. I went up while there was no one around about 1 hour before the new flight time (it was delayed 1 hour from the original time) she was absolutely unhappy and unhelpful. When I asked for our seats she said “you board with the standby boarding pass when we tell you and find out at the gate”

she called zones 1-3 then called us over the PA and said please board now. I walked past the desk and asked for our seats and she said again “just use the standby boarding pass” at this time there were still 6 open c+ seats available on the overhead monitors so we were hoping for those seats but that didn’t happen.

im just wondering if I should mention it to DL
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you had requested the FC upgrade and were cleared onto the flight before the pilot was assigned a seat, complain to DL.

Do you know whether the pilot was on the standby list (NRSA travel) or had positive space (deadheading)?
Definitely will do that. I cleared off the standby list before the pilot.
Pilot looked like he was deadheading due to luggage/uniform.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:14 pm

if you are on standby, can you really officially request an upgrade (be put on the electronic upgrade list)? yes you can ask, but is the policy that you are not on the official seat upgrade list if you are standby, then it's up to the gate agent to assign whomever they want to which seats? And would they likely assign starting in main cabin so C+ and F seats go empty if possible?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by cboy

Yep. I went up while there was no one around about 1 hour before the new flight time (it was delayed 1 hour from the original time) she was absolutely unhappy and unhelpful. When I asked for our seats she said “you board with the standby boarding pass when we tell you and find out at the gate”

she called zones 1-3 then called us over the PA and said please board now. I walked past the desk and asked for our seats and she said again “just use the standby boarding pass” at this time there were still 6 open c+ seats available on the overhead monitors so we were hoping for those seats but that didn’t happen.

im just wondering if I should mention it to DL
did your party of 3 want 3 middle seats in C+?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
did your party of 3 want 3 middle seats in C+?
better then 3 middle seats in main cabin which is what happened with empty c+ seats.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I know you get to keep your original cabin if you do SDC, but with standby you get what you get.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatt
I know you get to keep your original cabin if you do SDC, but with standby you get what you get.
I wonder what the rules are for SDC...like how many seats have to be available or how much time before the flight is needed to get it...they couldn't confirm us I think it was cause it was too close to the flight time but not sure.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I'm at MCO on board my plane headed to ATL. The standby's cleared before any upgrades were, including two standby's into comfort+, so I'm "stuck" in Y. They started clearing F well after they called them for boarding, same with W. Not a clue if those two were NRSE, didn't see any when I walked by.

To rub salt in the wound, they skipped Sky boarding and went from comfort+ to main cabin 1.

Big question, when can you clear from standby into comfort+ before those on the upgrade list?
jrl767 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.