Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver for Jan 27th - when will they issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Waiver for Jan 27th - when will they issue?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, for wind speed, you can look at the wind chill numbers and work back.
Yes, I'd love to work backward with this formula
WindChill = 35.74 + (0.6215 × T) − (35.75 × Wind^0.16 ) + (0.4275 × T × Wind^0.16 )
*The ^ are exponents

But seriously, the winds during the snow in MSP should be about 15-20kt with stronger gusts likely in the heavier bands. I get your point though -- stronger winds mean lower wind chills
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Flying from YYZ on the 28th, weather waiver already issued.

Screw that though...I'm cancelling the ticket and staying home.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
WindChill = 35.74 + (0.6215 × T) − (35.75 × Wind^0.16 ) + (0.4275 × T × Wind^0.16 )
*The ^ are exponents

But seriously, the winds during the snow in MSP should be about 15-20kt with stronger gusts likely in the heavier bands. I get your point though -- stronger winds mean lower wind chills
The forecast is that wound chills will get down to -40F to -50F and the (new) governor is considering declaring that all (public?) K-12 schools in the state are closed, which AFAIK has only happened twice in history, where the first time it also applied to (public?) colleges and universities. Is that cold enough for you?

BTW, for those of the metric persuasion, -40F = -40C.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Not just a Delta issue, but does anyone know why airline website/app IT can't deal with weather waivers? It works perfectly fine with normal IRROPS, but it doesn't comprehend when there is a weather waiver in place.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Waiver is up, for Chicago area Jan 28.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...winter-weather
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
MSP can handle a fair bit of snow. 9 inches over 10 hours is not that bad but over 4 hours it is though. It is about the rate of snow fall, not the amount.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
*The ^ are exponents

The solution is pretty trivial with a simple spreadsheet. Hope all stay inside and warm as much as possible - that’s arctic cold action.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MfromL
I'm flying from AMS to MSP tomorrow (operated by KLM, sold by DL) and I just had a call with DL to double check. No advisory in place, it might change later, but the flight as of now is programmed.
Sounds like we may have been scheduled to be on the same flight. From your later post here it sounds like they didn't issue the waiver until after I had gone to bed, so we didn't even realize what we were traveling into…a 2hr delay at MSP, arriving home at 1:30am.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
For the record, the original flight in question arrived 10 minutes early at ORD last night.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There were two situations discussed in this thread: The OP was traveling Florida-ATL-ORD and then someone else MAD-AMS-MSP (on the late KLM operated nonstop) who was rebooked onto MAD-CDG-MSP.

The third person apparently stayed on the KLM AMS-MSP flight and then experienced a two hour delay on MSP-ATL or MSP-BNA.

I tried to check arrival times on the DL app, but today DL seems to not know what day it as since I can only see flight status as late as "Tomorrow January 26, 2019."

The snow started quite late in the evening yesterday (later than predicted). It's cold and white here today. As expected, traffic was an absolute mess, with people being advised to allow at least an extra hour for their morning commute.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
DTW not in the list

Very surprised DTW was not on the list. Just about all other cities around the area seem to be as well as UA/AA
I just called Delta about my trip tomorrow to DTW and said no waive
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:35 pm

Like MSP, DTW has lots of equipment and experience in dealing with winter weather. Things work and the airport stays open and operational.

OTOH, ATL does not and in fact they have a weather waiver.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Like MSP, DTW has lots of equipment and experience in dealing with winter weather. Things work and the airport stays open and operational.

OTOH, ATL does not and in fact they have a weather waiver.
As well as MSP is on the list
Everything but DTW
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
They issued one for NYC today, just switched my flight Wednesday morning to Tuesday afternoon should beat the snow.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Sounds like we may have been scheduled to be on the same flight. From your later post here it sounds like they didn't issue the waiver until after I had gone to bed, so we didn't even realize what we were traveling into…a 2hr delay at MSP, arriving home at 1:30am.
Actually I was originally supposed to be in KLM655, AMS-MSP, Jan. 27th. I got the rescheduling, didn't sleep, showed myself at the airport for the new flight at 4 am (MAD-CDG-MSP, with DL43), and AF staff told me that DL had messed up the rebooking and that I didn't show up in their system. After calling DL, they fixed the issue and AF checked me in. We departed the gate 5 minutes late from MAD, and had to be de-iced (the previous night the temperatures dropped to 4º C, around 39º F... I know safety is first but it seemed a bit odd). When taxing ATC changed the configuration of the runways (which I've experienced before in MAD, especially in the mornings, both when taking off and landing) so we got further delayed, and landed in CDG with a 40 minute delay.

I had to connect from 2F to the M gates in 2E and decided to take –mind my stupidity for not knowing better– the buses instead of exiting and taking the tram and re-clearing security. It was a nightmare with more that 400 people waiting for buses. At the end I made it to the gate just after they had taken out my bags out of the plane and it was being pushed back. AF rebooked and CDG-AMS-MSP (in the same flight I was meant to be in!). Arrived at MSP rather rested and went to sleep.

The delay did get me a nice voucher from AF because of the EU regulation (more than 3 hours and 3.500 kms) and a meal ticket that I quickly exchanged for a lot of croissants and pains au chocolat.

Tomorrow I'll fly from MSP to LIM, when the temperatures will reach a historical low and I've been told some machinery might suffer problems, including planes. So wish me luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.