Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta benefits when flying with KLM?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
For what it is worth...Last year there were some reports (also from FB members) that seat selection in J is not possible after a certain occupancy rate.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No, the benefits don't extend to others on your reservation like they do with DL, I just learned this myself. In practice though, you should be fine with everything except seat selection & luggage, which you need to pay for.

I say this because she will be able to check in with you, go through security with you, use the lounge with you, board with you, etc.

Regarding luggage: as a DM you are entitled to Sky Team Elite Plus benefits (the same for GM/PM/DM). This provides 1 additional free checked bag over the allowance. On TATL flights this means you get two bags (as a coach pax) so you could each have one and you'd check both under your name. However, on inter-europe flights, you will only get one free bag (because the standard allowance is zero), and you'd need to pay for a second.
Thank you for confirming that what I saw is expected behavior. Before I posted this I did pay for the seat of my partner. Primary concern was luggage allowance, so I will just see how that goes and it sounds like it will be a judgement call for the check-in agent.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've found that DL status isn't always communicated correctly to KLM. Once on a KLM flight in J, I noticed the FA skipping around with meal orders and asked what was happening. I was listed as a kettle on the flight manifest, despite my status showing correctly on my boarding pass. I was crediting to DL of course and don't have a FB FF account. OTOH, on another trip, AF thought I was a 2000 (their special invitation only unpublished level), so it might just be random.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
KLM like most airlines doesn't give free upgrades. Even FB elites don't get them
I've always heard this, but in Dec. flying AMS-TXL the gate agent came onboard and upgraded two separate Flying Blue elite members from Economy Comfort to "Europe Business" or whatever they call it. I don't remember their status levels, but both had FB elite bag tags on their carry-ons. (I remember the details as I was paying closer attention than usual because F was virtually empty, and I was hoping for an upgrade myself as a DL DM/SE+, but, alas, it didn't happen.)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've found that DL status isn't always communicated correctly to KLM. Once on a KLM flight in J, I noticed the FA skipping around with meal orders and asked what was happening. I was listed as a kettle on the flight manifest, despite my status showing correctly on my boarding pass. I was crediting to DL of course and don't have a FB FF account. OTOH, on another trip, AF thought I was a 2000 (their special invitation only unpublished level), so it might just be random.
I learned a while back (admittedly by trial and error) that just having a Flying Blue account helps out tremendously in making sure SE+ benefits are recognized and carried over. You link your Flying Blue profile to your Skymiles number and voila - miles are still credited to Delta, and you can choose SE+ seats online without having to call. Not to mention how much easier it is using the AF/KLM apps to check in and get a mobile boarding pass instead of going to the counter in Europe.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
I've always heard this, but in Dec. flying AMS-TXL the gate agent came onboard and upgraded two separate Flying Blue elite members from Economy Comfort to "Europe Business" or whatever they call it.
This is probably an op-up situation. Did other people come and board into Y after this happened? Even though the Europe biz section is adjustable, there can still be extra seats if they need one side of the aisle but not the other.

You link your Flying Blue profile to your Skymiles number and voila .
Can you explain how to do this linking? I've never been able to figure it out.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:00 pm

Re Seats on KLM for Delta elites:

Silver and above do not have to pay the seat selection fee for normal seats - and this applies to at least one other in the same reservation, based on my experience.

Reduced price or free extra leg room, select, or economy comfort (free only for Plat and above) does not apply to anyone else in the reservation except the elite member(s).
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
This is probably an op-up situation. Did other people come and board into Y after this happened? Even though the Europe biz section is adjustable, there can still be extra seats if they need one side of the aisle but not the other.
I've always heard this, but in Dec. flying AMS-TXL the gate agent came onboard and upgraded two separate Flying Blue elite members from Economy Comfort to "Europe Business" or whatever they call it.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
KLM like most airlines doesn't give free upgrades. Even FB elites don't get them
Nope, it was immediately before the door was closed. The GA pulled the jetbridge back on the way out. It was a fairly empty flight in all cabins. There were 2 rows of Europe Biz and 3 of Economy Comfort; before the upgrades only 1 person was seated in Biz, and I think 4 in EC (incl. the 2 pax that were upgraded and me). No one got moved up to EC. It was a ~1 hour flight so the missed upgrade wasn’t a big deal, just an interesting data point.

Can you explain how to do this linking? I've never been able to figure it out.
You link your Flying Blue profile to your Skymiles number and voila .
Just looked back at my FB profile and it seems I misspoke - the accounts themselves aren’t linked. But when you have a flight booked on AF/KLM and have an FB account, you can add the flight to your FB profile using the AF/KLM confirmation number (if the flight is booked with DL or another partner, you’ll have to call to get the conf. number). In the flight details you can change where to credit miles, which should then validate SE benefits. At least that’s how I remember it happening in December.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I just went into my Delta booking for an inter-Europe KL flight and confirmed seat availability for my wife and myself at no charge. However the extra leg room seats (whatever they are called just behind business showed up as a charge for each of us << $20. I then logged into the KL site and easily brought up the res using my Delta PNR. However when it brought up the res on KL it did display in small print in the upper LH corner the actual KL record locator.This suggests to me that the reservation computers between DL and KL are linked automatically. That page on KL also confirmed free baggage allowances for each of us(.I get 2 checked bags and she gets 1 checked bag.)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Asked a similar question on the KLM forum with no response so hoping more luck here.

Flying EZE - SCL on the KLM 789. With my PM status it's letting me select economy comfort free of charge but they want $17 for my wife (since she is only silver despite being on the same PNR). If I call, will they waive her fee or do they only provide the economy comfort benefit to the actual person who is PM (in which case I'll just suck it up and pay the $17).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Normally the benefit (the free EC seat), is only applicable to you as the status holder. Your wife has to pay for EC.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Asked a similar question on the KLM forum with no response so hoping more luck here.

Flying EZE - SCL on the KLM 789. With my PM status it's letting me select economy comfort free of charge but they want $17 for my wife (since she is only silver despite being on the same PNR). If I call, will they waive her fee or do they only provide the economy comfort benefit to the actual person who is PM (in which case I'll just suck it up and pay the $17).
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Normally the benefit (the free EC seat), is only applicable to you as the status holder. Your wife has to pay for EC.

They will not waive the fee, at least in my experience. Also, the luggage benefit does not extend to anyone else but you, though she should get her Sky Team Elite luggage benefit. I believe the only benefit that extends to her (one to one guest) is lounge access, as well as being able to use priority lines/boarding with you.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Grouchy
They will not waive the fee, at least in my experience. Also, the luggage benefit does not extend to anyone else but you, though she should get her Sky Team Elite luggage benefit. I believe the only benefit that extends to her (one to one guest) is lounge access, as well as being able to use priority lines/boarding with you.
Okay no worries I'll go ahead and snag the seats and just pay for hers. Good to know re: baggage. Ticket included a bag for both of us so we should be fine (don't think we'll need a 3rd but can cover it from my PM/STE+ allotment if necessary) -- now just have to decide where to sit on the 789 (first row of EC isn't available at all)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
On a related note, I had an interesting check in experience in AMS for my return flight of my DL reservation on DL metal flying with my spouse last week. Delta check in in AMS is handled by KLM, and the baggage allowance for the return flight was 2+1 in stead of 2+2 on the outbound: one extra bag for me as GM, this was extended to my wife (who does not have status but was on the same reservation) on the outbound but not the return...Also, gate agent initially did not tag our 2nd bag (we were traveling with a total of 2) as priority, and when I asked GA she said my wife was not entitled to Skypriority benefits....I had her retag the bag and put it in my name. GA also said my wife was not entitled to SP security and gate benefits. Her seating zone on the KLM issued BP labeled as Sky, but didn't have the red SP tag on it. We just ignored her and had no problem going through the SP entry, but still odd, especially since we had no such issues checking in via Air France 2 weeks ago, or out of AMS multiple times before. New policies, or just grumpy GA? I understand different benefits when flying non-DL metal, but not differences between in and outbound on DL?

Last edited by Dutch101; Mar 18, 2019 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Last year flying as PM, I could get the EC seats for myself but not for mom on both KL and AF.

Even with empty EC seats they would not let her join me, but they did let me move back into the main cabin to join her.

Only thing I remember getting was a guest into the lounges.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Wimsta
Only thing I remember getting was a guest into the lounges.
Right, because this is a Sky Team Elite Plus benefit. The key thing when traveling on a ST partner as a medallion is to look at the Sky Team Elite/Elite + benefits and not at the Delta benefits. Delta benefits only apply when flying Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.