Wiki Posts
Search

Delta benefits when flying with KLM?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta. Silver
Delta benefits when flying with KLM?

Hello and a Happy New Year to everybody.
Hello and a Happy New Year to everybody
My wife and I travel socially from Dublin to Orlando a couple of times a year in economy. For the last number of years, we have managed to retain our Silver Medallion status. There is one benefit which we thoroughly enjoy. i.e. exit row seats. We are used to flying Dublin to Orlando via either New York or Atlanta, and have never had a problem although I do now realise that I need to be aware of and avoid the reasonably new BASIC.
I am in the early stages of booking a trip later in the year. Delta's website is suggesting that I might like to return from Atlanta with KLM via Amsterdam This is on a KLM plane, but is presumably a "codeshare" as it is shown as DL9667. Against this leg is shown as ECONOMY. V.
So I suppose the simple question is. If I book this, will I be able to pre-book my seats on the KLM leg in the same way on the way back in the same way that I can with Delta on the way out? Bearing in mind that once I hit the button, there is no turning back.
I have tried to answer this myself, but I'm afraid I cant convince myself.
So if in doubt ask the experts
Monoboy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
I hope others post insights but i have a couple upcoming connections utilizing KLM from AMS to other areas and when booking thru DL, I can't even get a seat assignment. I have dealt with this before and simply called KLM (which ironically is the same call center/phone number as DL) and requested a seat assignment successfully. In doing so, i have never received an upgrade to Comfort Plus or even First but am happy i can get a seat assignment. Having boarded KLM flights before, i have noticed that the only perk offered is Sky Priority boarding. Wish i had more info but home your post gets some attention and hits so i can see if i have been missing out.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Monoboy
I hope others post insights but i have a couple upcoming connections utilizing KLM from AMS to other areas and when booking thru DL, I can't even get a seat assignment. I have dealt with this before and simply called KLM (which ironically is the same call center/phone number as DL) and requested a seat assignment successfully. In doing so, i have never received an upgrade to Comfort Plus or even First but am happy i can get a seat assignment. Having boarded KLM flights before, i have noticed that the only perk offered is Sky Priority boarding. Wish i had more info but home your post gets some attention and hits so i can see if i have been missing out.

I just booked an inter-Euro KLM flight in coach and had no problem over the phone with the DL US call ctr booking a so called exit row seat with no extra leg room on a B737-7. I asked for something better and it was no-go (I'm still hoping to do better at the airport check-in. This seems to prove that Delta can assign seats, but not upgraded extra cost seats unless you pay the difference either at booking or via the DL web site at a later date.
Monoboy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:34 pm

Does Delta not have the 24 hour cancellation policy when booking from E.U.?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Air France and KLM Standard Seat Selection

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ction-q-a.html
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kate10010
Does Delta not have the 24 hour cancellation policy when booking from E.U.?
All DL tickets have 24 he cancellation .
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Monoboy
KLM like most airlines doesn't give free upgrades. Even FB elites don't get them
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:45 am

You should be able to pre book seats but will likely still have to pay more for the extra leg room seats if I read correctly. Easiest way to check is to book the ticket then try to book seats and if there’s an issue cancel within the 24 hr period (reason for my earlier question). When you click the button there IS turning back
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hi everyone, I did some searching but wasn't able to find the answers I'm looking for.

I booked directly via KLM as a DM, which I understand should get me one of the top levels at KLM as well. I can see that I get 1 free checked bag, and I was able to pick exit or economy comfort seats for free. These benefits however did not transfer to my wife, who gets 0 free checked bags and has to pay for exit or EC seats.

Is that expected? I am fairly certain that when I fly Delta all my bag and seat choice benefits also transfer to travelers on my PNR.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kate10010
You should be able to pre book seats but will likely still have to pay more for the extra leg room seats if I read correctly.
KLM charges for advanced seat assignments for all seats, not just extra leg room seats. However, this fee is waived for all Sky Team Elite (and +) members, who are able to select a standard seat for no charge. Sky Team Elite+ members (for Delta thats GM/PM/DM but not SM) are able to reserve Economy Comfort seats at a discounted price.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
KLM charges for advanced seat assignments for all seats, not just extra leg room seats. However, this fee is waived for all Sky Team Elite (and +) members, who are able to select a standard seat for no charge. Sky Team Elite+ members (for Delta thats GM/PM/DM but not SM) are able to reserve Economy Comfort seats at a discounted price.
+1. I flew J class from LAX/AMS//LAX and was annoyed that I could not confirm my seat assignment until 24 hours prior to departure. I was grateful for the advice I received in this forum and thread.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Hi everyone, I did some searching but wasn't able to find the answers I'm looking for.

I booked directly via KLM as a DM, which I understand should get me one of the top levels at KLM as well. I can see that I get 1 free checked bag, and I was able to pick exit or economy comfort seats for free. These benefits however did not transfer to my wife, who gets 0 free checked bags and has to pay for exit or EC seats.

Is that expected? I am fairly certain that when I fly Delta all my bag and seat choice benefits also transfer to travelers on my PNR.
Monday bump, hoping to find out if my Delta DM benefits should transfer to another party on the same PNR
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Monday bump, hoping to find out if my Delta DM benefits should transfer to another party on the same PNR

No, the benefits don't extend to others on your reservation like they do with DL, I just learned this myself. In practice though, you should be fine with everything except seat selection & luggage, which you need to pay for.

I say this because she will be able to check in with you, go through security with you, use the lounge with you, board with you, etc.

Regarding luggage: as a DM you are entitled to Sky Team Elite Plus benefits (the same for GM/PM/DM). This provides 1 additional free checked bag over the allowance. On TATL flights this means you get two bags (as a coach pax) so you could each have one and you'd check both under your name. However, on inter-europe flights, you will only get one free bag (because the standard allowance is zero), and you'd need to pay for a second.
pulpfiction78 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by obscure2k
+1. I flew J class from LAX/AMS//LAX and was annoyed that I could not confirm my seat assignment until 24 hours prior to departure. I was grateful for the advice I received in this forum and thread.
In J?

I'm currently booked in KL business (via GUC) and was able to select seats immediately after my GUC was confirmed, approx 1 month before the flight.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
In J?

I'm currently booked in KL business (via GUC) and was able to select seats immediately after my GUC was confirmed, approx 1 month before the flight.
Yes, J pax should be able to select seats (as well as all elite pax in all cabins), I think Obscure was given bad info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.