Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ed Bastian Thoughts on SLC Hub/Possible Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Delta's commitment to SLC

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...tah-delta-ceo/
Monoboy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quoting from the article that Happy Dad linked to:

He let slip in comments to the Salt Lake Chamber that will likely lead to nonstop flights to Seoul, South Korea.
“I was discussing the possibilities, not making any announcement,” he said later in an interview. “But there’s no question that the new airport will create more international opportunity, and one of the things I’d like to be able to do is create an Asian route.”He adds Delta attempted that once unsuccessfully with flights from Salt Lake City to Tokyo.
“The principal reason it did not work is that when people got to Tokyo, there were limited destinations” for connections. But Korean Air, a Delta partner, “offers 80 destinations throughout Asia on a nonstop basis out of Seoul.”
Additional details provided by Bastian are that that the Skyclub in the new SLC airport will be 3X the size of the existing one and that SLC will be a base for the A220.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM
SLC-ICN would be a good move for DL. It would be much less competitive (thus they can have higher prices) than the west coast to ICN and afford people good connections to and from for the rest of the US.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wxman22
SLC-ICN would be a good move for DL. It would be much less competitive (thus they can have higher prices) than the west coast to ICN and afford people good connections to and from for the rest of the US.
I think any flight would be O/D focused. I don't know a lot of people who want to take a 3hr+ domestic flight to connect to a TPAC flight.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I think any flight would be O/D focused. I don't know a lot of people who want to take a 3hr+ domestic flight to connect to a TPAC flight.
Ummm, there are countless airports in the mountain time zone that don't have direct flights to Asia.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
Anyone who does not have a nonstop to ICN and can get a better connection in SLC than at ATL, DTW, SEA or LAX will definitely connect in SLC. And that appears to be a lot of mountain, southwest, and midwest communities. Connections rich on both ends of ICN-SLC. Not O/D restricted on either end.

I see the only new flights DL adds to Asia will be from US gateways to ICN and PVG to feed their JV partners. I don't see any new cities in Asia being added to DL's network unless they get a new JV partner. I mean when you give up HKG, you are probably not looking to add new Asian destinations strictly for O/D traffic.
happydad100, Duke787 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat
can we get slc-hkg please?!
bcrdukes and jamiestr like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by runningformqm
can we get slc-hkg please?!
Should be 4 times per day!
michael_v, bcrdukes and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
$50 million in profit share to SLC based employees, $1.3bn network wide, is a pretty nice boost.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Anyone who does not have a nonstop to ICN and can get a better connection in SLC than at ATL, DTW, SEA or LAX will definitely connect in SLC. And that appears to be a lot of mountain, southwest, and midwest communities. Connections rich on both ends of ICN-SLC.
What cities - with decent numbers of travelers to Asia - have DL service to SLC but not SEA or LAX? Double connects xxx-SLC-ICN-xxx will yield junk avg fares: UA's xxx-SFO-xxx will get the premium traffic from shorter travel times. DL is going to need some decent volume of traffic SLC-ICN or SLC-xxx to make this viable.
hi55us likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What cities - with decent numbers of travelers to Asia - have DL service to SLC but not SEA or LAX? Double connects xxx-SLC-ICN-xxx will yield junk avg fares: UA's xxx-SFO-xxx will get the premium traffic from shorter travel times. DL is going to need some decent volume of traffic SLC-ICN or SLC-xxx to make this viable.
I don't know how many people need to go from Montana or other great plains cities to Asia. But, that would be the catchment area along with SLC. If you have to connect anyway, SLC is preferable to both SEA and LAX for connections.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I don't know how many people need to go from Montana or other great plains cities to Asia. But, that would be the catchment area along with SLC. If you have to connect anyway, SLC is preferable to both SEA and LAX for connections.
I'm not sure about that. The SLC SC is pretty bleak. I'd rather have a layover in SEA at least outbound (inbound international is a different story) but then again coming from RDU I'd go via ATL / DTW / MSP for a TPAC before going through LAX / SLC / SEA (exception SYD obviously)
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I can't see it happening any time soon. The A332 struggled on even SLC-NRT and had to have have cargo and seats blocked. If it happens it will be with a Korean Air 787.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:22 am

I'm not so sure about this move. I think it's worth noting that neither OZ or UA have made a DEN/ICN connection yet despite their partnership.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
True, adding a SLC-ICN route will not make DL competitive with UA in TPAC for folks traveling to major Asian destinations that UA serves.
SLC has a loyal base of DL FF's who would choose it to HKG connecting in ICN over connecting in SFO on UA.
Ed might also be thinking that LAX-ICN (twice daily on KE) and SEA-ICN (twice daily split DL and KE) would continue to be busy enough to allow SLC to siphon off a little connecting traffic from those gateways to ICN.
That plus a nice subsidy would not hurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.