Wiki Posts
Search

Flying via Detroit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Flying via Detroit

Booking a ticket to DCA and on my return there is a convenient flight going via Detroit rather than MSP. This is a new connection starting in March. I really like the MSP airport and have not been in the Detroit one for 20 years. Any down side in going thru Detroit? I have about an hour to make the connection which will be on to a SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION . Is it a long walk from a Delta gate to the connector? Thanks!!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Audie
Booking a ticket to DCA and on my return there is a convenient flight going via Detroit rather than MSP. This is a new connection starting in March. I really like the MSP airport and have not been in the Detroit one for 20 years. Any down side in going thru Detroit? I have about an hour to make the connection which will be on to a SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION . Is it a long walk from a Delta gate to the connector? Thanks!!
An hour is plenty of time if on time. You will be walking though and could be walking a long way. Normally DTW has a tram, but the tram is undergoing service through April.
https://www.metroairport.com/about-u...amara-terminal

You connection may go out of A or it may go out of B/C. The main terminal at DTW is ~1 mile long from A1 to A77 or whatever the highest number gate is at the other end. If you have to go out of B/C, you have to walk through the underground tunnel (unofficially known as the "LSD Tunnel" - you'll understand it if you have to take it to get B/C. If you come in at A1 or A77 and have to go to the far end of either B or C, it will also be up to a 1 mile walk. There are at least moving sidewalks which cut down some of the walking and time.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
DTW is a great connecting airport, transfers are very efficient. There are lots of moving sidewalks, an optional train runs the length of councourse A if you prefer. The musical tunnel between concourses is quite fun too
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
DTW is a great connecting airport, transfers are very efficient. There are lots of moving sidewalks, an optional train runs the length of councourse A if you prefer. The musical tunnel between concourses is quite fun too
As I noted above, unfortunately the tram is down for renovations through April. OP is planning to transit DTW in March so OP will not have the option of utilizing the tram.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
An hour is plenty of time if on time. You will be walking though and could be walking a long way. Normally DTW has a tram, but the tram is undergoing service through April.
https://www.metroairport.com/about-u...amara-terminal

You connection may go out of A or it may go out of B/C. The main terminal at DTW is ~1 mile long from A1 to A77 or whatever the highest number gate is at the other end. If you have to go out of B/C, you have to walk through the underground tunnel (unofficially known as the "LSD Tunnel" - you'll understand it if you have to take it to get B/C. If you come in at A1 or A77 and have to go to the far end of either B or C, it will also be up to a 1 mile walk. There are at least moving sidewalks which cut down some of the walking and time.
A few years ago, my travel patterns led me to a lot of connections via DTW, most of which were 30-35 minutes, and I always ended up with connections going from the far end of B to the far end of A or if I was on mainline equipment, one end of A to the other. At a very brisk walk, not using the tram, it would take about 10 minutes. A slow walk shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. If there is a wait for the tram, I would usually race the tram and win (barely). Never missed one connection. IIRC, A1 is actually not the farthest gate, its actually like A4 or something because of how the gates loop around the end. Hour connection is ample.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
I travel through DTW quite frequently (and MSP on occasion.)

Most SkyWest/Delta Connection flights are going to be in the B/C concourse. I can count the number of times I've flown on a CR2 in or out of A concourse on one hand, and still have several fingers left. (If you're flying a CR9, you have a better chance of A).

In my experience, DTW is much easier to navigate than MSP, and your "worst case" connection means about a 20-minute walk, less if you run. Put another way, getting from B20 to A1/A77 is a fair bit shorter and faster than getting from A/B to F at MSP.

Overall, MSP is more of a "pleasant" airport, but DTW is quite a bit more efficient.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by reimero
Most SkyWest/Delta Connection flights are going to be in the B/C concourse. I can count the number of times I've flown on a CR2 in or out of A concourse on one hand, and still have several fingers left. (If you're flying a CR9, you have a better chance of A)
Most SkyWest/Delta Connection flights are not CR2s
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

My trip will not be until May so the tram will hopefully be in operation. Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I think I will do the Detroit connection.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Most SkyWest/Delta Connection flights are not CR2s
Fair enough. But most of the CR2s and 7s are in B/C. 9s tend to be more in A.

Looks like flights from MSN-DTW are CR9s. So they'll probably be in A.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
I connect through DTW weekly. It is much easier to get through than MSP.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I think I will do the Detroit connection.
Make sure you check out the "jumping" fountain in the middle of the "A" concourse, especially if you have children along.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

I just checked the aircraft and all it says is CRJ
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:41 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Heavens to Betsy!!!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:29 pm

I'm sorry.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I really like the MSP airport and have not been in the Detroit one for 20 years. Any down side in going thru Detroit?
The you haven't been to the Detroit airport at all. There is nothing the same as it was 20 years ago. I have no idea why anyone would "really like the MSP airport."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.