Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying via Detroit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Seriously, OP. Northwest opened the McNamara Terminal is 2002 and abandoned the Davey terminal overnight. Almost as soon as it opened they began an extension to the C gates for more CRJ gates (and seating). Delta's upgauging means that part of the extension is now closed off. All the other carriers went into a new North Terminal constructed on the site of the Davey, abandoning the Smith Terminal. Other than the Big Blue parking deck constructed in the early 90s, passenger facilities are all 'new.'
beachmouse likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by indufan
The you haven't been to the Detroit airport at all. There is nothing the same as it was 20 years ago. I have no idea why anyone would "really like the MSP airport."
People like airports where they know the way between gates, hence the question.

but any airport with a Sky Club is OK with me
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kjnangre
DTW is a great connecting airport, transfers are very efficient. There are lots of moving sidewalks, an optional train runs the length of councourse A if you prefer. The musical tunnel between concourses is quite fun too
MSP is my home airport. Detroit is the better terminal experience. Now to await the Minnesotan mob at my door...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
MSP is my home airport. Detroit is the better terminal experience. Now to await the Minnesotan mob at my door...
I certainly think MSP has better food and shopping options, but besides that I would recommend DTW for connections.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Wink

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
People like airports where they know the way between gates, hence the question.

but any airport with a Sky Club is OK with me
That probably sums it up best! Give me credit for trying something new
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
DTW is a dream to connect through. Northwest did a fantastic job back in the day, and Delta keeps it looking and feeling like its brand new.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
MSP is my home airport. Detroit is the better terminal experience.
Unless you like to watch planes out the windows. Then MSP is far better. DTW sucks for this with those stupid little black dots. The Chick-Fil-A is also much more conveniently located at MSP than it is at DTW.

My preferred airport is usually the connecting airport that will net the most MQMs though.
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RRDD
Make sure you check out the "jumping" fountain in the middle of the "A" concourse, especially if you have children along.
You mean the "flight route" fountain. It was designed for NW to represent the flight paths they flew.
dmarge18 and ryw like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Millertime
I certainly think MSP has better food and shopping options, but besides that I would recommend DTW for connections.
COuld you expand on the food options in MSP that you like? I am always looking for a good meal, and I end up going through MSP a lot.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
You mean the "flight route" fountain. It was designed for NW to represent the flight paths they flew.
Never knew that! If I can finagle a DTW connection sometime soon again I'll have to look at it with a new perspective.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Millertime
I certainly think MSP has better food...options,...
But do they have Kyries Coney Islands at MSP???
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Never knew that! If I can finagle a DTW connection sometime soon again I'll have to look at it with a new perspective.
Mileage run time!
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Unless you like to watch planes out the windows. Then MSP is far better. DTW sucks for this with those stupid little black dots. The Chick-Fil-A is also much more conveniently located at MSP than it is at DTW.

My preferred airport is usually the connecting airport that will net the most MQMs though.
Doesn't look like OP has status, so extra MQM's are of no benefit and RDM's will be based on fare. Appears OP is LSE-based, so no way to avoid the dreaded CRJ. MSP flights will clearly be shorter than DTW, but total time in seat will likely not be much different, so I'd probably just go with whichever connection is most convenient. There's no carts in DTW (just wheelchairs), so if you have mobility issues, that might be a consideration. Will need to go through underground tunnel (about 1000 ft., with moving walks) as LSE flights will use concourse C, while DCA flights will use concourse A.

Looks like the last time DL flew DTW-LSE was around 2014.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:48 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
Doesn't look like OP has status, so extra MQM's are of no benefit and RDM's will be based on fare. Appears OP is LSE-based, so no way to avoid the dreaded CRJ. MSP flights will clearly be shorter than DTW, but total time in seat will likely not be much different, so I'd probably just go with whichever connection is most convenient. There's no carts in DTW (just wheelchairs), so if you have mobility issues, that might be a consideration.

Looks like the last time DL flew DTW-LSE was around 2014.
In cases where my final destination is close to one main hub, I might be more apt to go through the hub that is a reasonable driving distance from the final destination though if other alternate airports are also a reasonable drive from the final destination and have service from both hubs that may be less of a factor though I do still take in “risk reduction” and “best back-up plans” (in addition to what nets the most MQMs ) when selecting flights.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by reimero
I travel through DTW quite frequently (and MSP on occasion.) In my experience, DTW is much easier to navigate than MSP, and your "worst case" connection means about a 20-minute walk, less if you run. Put another way, getting from B20 to A1/A77 is a fair bit shorter and faster than getting from A/B to F at MSP. Overall, MSP is more of a "pleasant" airport, but DTW is quite a bit more efficient.
Agree 300% If you land at a far G gate, it's quite a hike back to the main corridor at MSP. (particularly if you forget about crossing over to get the A tram, or miss the A tram).

Though, MSP is not quite as pleasant without Surdyk's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.