Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL South Pre Check 1/14/19 Heads Up

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by micstatic
around 645a today it took me 40 minutes to go thru clear/precheck in the south terminal. can't wait for this to be over or better yet privatize tsa. Most of us travel all over the country. Atlanta is always worse than the other airports I use.
That is because of the design of the airport, it has as many pre-check lines as my local Airport in Huntington, WV - 1. At least at ORD, CLT you can just walk down to another pre-check line pretty quickly not so in ATL
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by dgparent
That is because of the design of the airport, it has as many pre-check lines as my local Airport in Huntington, WV - 1. At least at ORD, CLT you can just walk down to another pre-check line pretty quickly not so in ATL
ATL has 3 Precheck screening areas: North Terminal, Main (South) Terminal, and International Terminal. All 3 eventually lead to the same gates.
North and Main (South) Terminal are under the same roof.
On Monday one could have taken the bus to International and gone through security with 20-30 minutes to spare vs remaining in line at South checkpoint.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Not only is private airport screening and security proven, time and again, the be vastly superior and more competent than TSA.GOV, but it also helps immunize air travel from .GOV bureaucracy.
That may be true in the short term, but the private contractors still rely on payments from DHS.

Unfortunately there's nothing that the airlines can do about this. They can't pay TSA workers, or even provide them with incentives. Even if DL offered to pay for the TSA at ATL, the money would still require an authorization from Congress.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not only is private airport screening and security proven, time and again, the be vastly superior and more competent than TSA.GOV, but it also helps immunize air travel from .GOV bureaucracy.
Hmmm. Right, I'm sure they can off-shore it to India somehow--maybe Skype them in? And I always get superior, competent service from all my local, private enterprise operations such as Walmart.

Not to mention the private sector never has bureaucracy. Navigating medical insurance is easy as pie. And we all know how easy it is to deal with airline bureaucracy.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Whatever you do that gives you this kind of insight sounds really cool. How do I do that too?
I do mathematical models of all sorts of operations stuff, not just queues.

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
That comment made me want to go to Georgia Tech and get a Masters or PhD in Industrial Systems Engineering.
Maybe the OP has a shortcut to his/her understanding of lines.
But after that comment, we really shouldn't call lines "lines" because the math behind them is anything but linear.
Georgia Tech has one of the best IE programs in the world (I didn't go there but I know enough people who did that I would recommend it to anyone).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I do mathematical models of all sorts of operations stuff, not just queues.

Georgia Tech has one of the best IE programs in the world (I didn't go there but I know enough people who did that I would recommend it to anyone).
Yes, and one of the things that the department--it's huge--does well is Revenue Management (not collecting tuition but doing research on how DL can make more money).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
We had heard that Thursday morning was pretty backed-up at TSA and upward of an hour for Pre-check in the domestic terminal and it would only get worse going into the long holiday weekend.

Based on advice, we used the International Terminal Pre-check yesterday mid-afternoon and walked right up. The online posted times showed 15-30 minute waits on the domestic side.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Anyone there today? Whats the wait like for precheck? Tia.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Hmmm. Right, I'm sure they can off-shore it to India somehow--maybe Skype them in? And I always get superior, competent service from all my local, private enterprise operations such as Walmart.

Not to mention the private sector never has bureaucracy. Navigating medical insurance is easy as pie. And we all know how easy it is to deal with airline bureaucracy.

Government does EVERYTHING worse. Everything.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
https://youtu.be/qkVsjDExLEc?t=195

Again, this is moot because the government still has to pay the private security contractors. They're more insulated for sure, but eventually the money runs out.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
It's very easy to disprove absolute statements like this, but doing so would send this thread to OMNI-land.
flatdawgs and TheHorta like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On Friday, 1/18 around 1:00-1:30, the non-Delta Pre-Check (I can't remember if that's south or north) only took about 10 minutes total. I went back over there after checking in because it looked like the Delta side Pre-Check had a slightly longer line. In either case, neither was anything out of the ordinary. There were no long lines trailing out of any of the security areas.

So far, so good.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given the TSA problems at ATL, is it feasible for people flying out of ATL to instead book a connection into (and similarly on the return) some nearby airport and drive there to avoid the mess with lines at ATL? If one must arrive at ATL two hours earlier than usual, that should be enough time too drive to someplace like Athens or Savannah, right? Plus, fares and parking might be cheaper.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given the TSA problems at ATL, is it feasible for people flying out of ATL to instead book a connection into (and similarly on the return) some nearby airport and drive there to avoid the mess with lines at ATL? If one must arrive at ATL two hours earlier than usual, that should be enough time too drive to someplace like Athens or Savannah, right? Plus, fares and parking might be cheaper.
DL will never serve Athens, nor will anyone else, sadly. No more EAS in Athens and DL will not get any O/D traffic on AHN-ATL to justify it. And not enough AHN travelers will pay a premium on AHN-XXX over the ATL-XXX fares for the convenience.

This is the behavior that North and Middle-Georgians have done for decades to snag lower fares over the hub-captive fares at ATL, but to avoid security delays? I have to say I booked a few departures from GSP over ATL in the early days of TSA but now with Pre-Check and improved Sky Clubs, I'll take ATL. I also have no problem parking at Main in ATL, taking the bus to terminal F and go through security there if need be.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Jan 21, 2019 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: A few
Tue AM update: At 06:30 all lines were full, the shortest appeared to be TSA Pre on the North side that began with a line outside the glass partition.

Clear on the South side was backed up to the terminal entrance and back to the check-in kiosks. The center security lines were backed up into the atrium and media crews were already set up.

I decided against the Clear line and went to Pre check North, took about 20 mins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.