Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access for DL at San Juan?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lounge access for DL at San Juan?

I'm flying DL out of SJU. In the recesses of my mind, I recall that there was once a Delta lounge there. But no longer. I see that there are 2 Priority Pass lounges at SJU, though. Both are "Global Lounge Network" lounges. One is in Terminal A. The other is in Terminal C. Sadly, DL flies out of Terminal B! But I think all the terminals are connected after security. Does anyone know which of these two lounges would be the better one to try to visit, when factoring in convenience to the DL gates and lounge quality? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a recent thread on tripadvisor about the lounge in C. "7 - 10 minute walk from DL gates. This lounge is quite small and not very exciting. Open bar. snack-type foods"
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm flying DL out of SJU. In the recesses of my mind, I recall that there was once a Delta lounge there. But no longer. I see that there are 2 Priority Pass lounges at SJU, though. Both are "Global Lounge Network" lounges. One is in Terminal A. The other is in Terminal C. Sadly, DL flies out of Terminal B! But I think all the terminals are connected after security. Does anyone know which of these two lounges would be the better one to try to visit, when factoring in convenience to the DL gates and lounge quality? Thanks.

Delta flyer here with a lot of frequent travel to SJU. Terminal A is not reachable from Terminal B and C once you get past security so you're stuck with the Avianca lounge (Priority Pass) at Terminal C . The lounge is reachable by elevator just after you pass through Duty Free.

It is a small lounge and doesn't offer too much outside the basic amenities. With that said, SJU possesses very minimal power outlets for use so if you need to charge up at all the lounge is going your best option. It also has never been that crowded during the times that I have been there.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The Avianca lounge at C gates used to be good but lately is depressing. I only go there for the beer, as most of the time there isn’t a lot to eat. Still better than hanging out at the gate.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuffaloBills10
Delta flyer here with a lot of frequent travel to SJU. Terminal A is not reachable from Terminal B and C once you get past security so you're stuck with the Avianca lounge (Priority Pass) at Terminal C . The lounge is reachable by elevator just after you pass through Duty Free.

It is a small lounge and doesn't offer too much outside the basic amenities. With that said, SJU possesses very minimal power outlets for use so if you need to charge up at all the lounge is going your best option. It also has never been that crowded during the times that I have been there.
Thanks. Well, that makes the choice simple. From what I can tell, both lounges are operated by the same company, so I guess it doesn't matter much than I can get to C and not A.

BTW, does TSA Pre work "normally" at that checkpoint?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. Well, that makes the choice simple. From what I can tell, both lounges are operated by the same company, so I guess it doesn't matter much than I can get to C and not A.

BTW, does TSA Pre work "normally" at that checkpoint?
Yes, TSA Precheck at SJU works just like it does in the continental US, separate line and everything.

There is an extra USDA APHIS agricultural check everyone has to run their bags through (checked or otherwise) before heading to check in / security; it's right at the entrance to the terminal and they put a removable sticker on your bag indicating it (similar to Hawaii if you have gone through there) - it's super quick, 5 minutes or less.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
You can get to terminal A from B/C gates, I do it all the time to eat at the Carl's Jr. I was there just before Christmas and it was the first time I saw the sign for the lounge in A. I might check it out when I fly through in 2 weeks.

As others have mentioned,I use the one in C for free WiFi and outlets for charging devices. I'll grab a water or two but haven't had food as it didn't look that good.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ajwright
... extra USDA APHIS agricultural check everyone has to run their bags through (checked or otherwise) before heading to check in / security; it's right at the entrance to the terminal and they put a removable sticker on your bag indicating it (similar to Hawaii if you have gone through there) - it's super quick, 5 minutes or less.
I consider that as one of the stupidest processes I have every personally witnessed!!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The alcohol at the Avianca lounge, which is accessible with Priority Pass, is good but the food is pretty bad.

Also, the food at Air Margaritaville, at the beginning of the concourse leading to the Delta gates, isn't any better and is pretty overpriced for what it is.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
I consider that as one of the stupidest processes I have every personally witnessed!!
It does serve a purpose, that's why they do it. I've seen them catch all sorts of odd produce people try to take back to the mainland.

I'm in SJU a few times a year and the Aviana lounge is normally where I stop. They have a decent coffee machine, but that's about it. The "food" is sad and terrible. They do have a self service bar, but I'm normally flying out in the morning so all I care about is coffee.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
It does serve a purpose, that's why they do it. I've seen them catch all sorts of odd produce people try to take back to the mainland.

I'm in SJU a few times a year and the Aviana lounge is normally where I stop. They have a decent coffee machine, but that's about it. The "food" is sad and terrible. They do have a self service bar, but I'm normally flying out in the morning so all I care about is coffee.

You get the sticker on your bags, and then walk away from the area...then can do anything you want to the contents of your bags...you could put a case of produce in a bag after it has been inspected and they would never know.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
You get the sticker on your bags, and then walk away from the area...then can do anything you want to the contents of your bags...you could put a case of produce in a bag after it has been inspected and they would never know.
The bags are still subject to security screening. I've seen agriculture inspectors at the security checkpoints so I presume there are also inspectors at the behind-the-scenes baggage screening stations.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The bags are still subject to security screening. I've seen agriculture inspectors at the security checkpoints so I presume there are also inspectors at the behind-the-scenes baggage screening stations.
My bag was flagged for AG inspection at the TSA checkpoint this past summer, even if it had the sticker they still went through it manually.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This.

USDA staff are at the TSA checkpoints as well. The pre-scan is likely to prevent a backup at the main security lines.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
For those still interested. I arrived on Seaborne at B2 (same terminal as Delta) walked about 10 minutes over to the PP lounge in terminal A and am still inside security.

Having now sampled both lounges I can say I like this one slightly better especially since I didn't have to walk through the duty free between terminals B&C.

This lounge is a lot quieter given the time of day I am here. There's less of a buffet spread, but it's the same type as the other lounge. Drink selection seems to be about the same. Furniture is all new. Probably the only negative is lack of a bathroom inside the lounge as it's a bit smaller than the old one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.