Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Delay Rerouting Rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Delta Delay Rerouting Rules

A solid amount of flights out of SFO end up delayed for various SFO things; ATC congestion, bad weather, etc. On DL, almost every delay triggers the “select alternate flight” feature of the app.

I’ve used this feature several times to get more MQMs/MQSs but I’m curious where the rules for what you can re-route to come from.

For example, I once changed SFO-BOS to SFO-LAX-JFK-BOS. (DL then paid me 10k miles to switch back to SFO-BOS because of overbooking.) How does the app decide what routes I’m allowed to select?

Also, is it ever possible to add a stopover? In my current changed routing, I changed SFO-SEA-CVG to SFO-SEA-ATL-CVG. But would it ever be possible to add a stopover in SEA?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
... is it ever possible to add a stopover? In my current changed routing, I changed SFO-SEA-CVG to SFO-SEA-ATL-CVG. But would it ever be possible to add a stopover in SEA?
if you have any human interaction during the initial rebooking you might be able to get a longer-than-4-hours layover — which would technically be a stopover rather than a connection — but I sure wouldn’t hold out hope for much more than one or two flights later

that said, if you were rebooked onto the SEA-ATL redeye, you might have a case for a morning flight as long as you were explicitly willing to pay for overnight accommodations

I make that last point from experience: a couple years ago I booked a sunrise BWI-ATL-SEA at ~T-15 hrs when there was a weather waiver in place for the next day ... went directly to DCA, asked for either of the two remaining ATL flights and the earlier ATL-SEA (763 with lie-flats) in the morning; counter agent quickly confirmed me on the later flight once I said I already had a hotel reservation

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 11, 2019 at 8:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.