Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why don't they let me book flight to nearby cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't they let me book flight to nearby cities?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Question Why don't they let me book flight to nearby cities?

Why does Delta not allow flights for cities that are within a few hours drive of the original airport? If I want to fly PBI-ATL-TPA or EYW or JAX why is that not allowed and an error message appears that there's no availability for this route?

And yes, I could book one way to ATL and one way to destination but that is almost always much more expensive then it should be.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like DL (and AA) has chosen not to file fares in this market hence the error message.

You could book end-to-end tickets if you really wanted to
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would require publishing and maintaining fare filings for said routes as well fare bucket inventory (married segments) for the route. Not worth the time and effort for routes where there would be very little demand.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Duke787
Looks like DL (and AA) has chosen not to file fares in this market hence the error message.

You could book end-to-end tickets if you really wanted to
​​​​​​Just curious how I would do this? Looked into flying to EWR from DC recently but the dl website said it wasn't possible
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by koreanair720
​​​​​​Just curious how I would do this? Looked into flying to EWR from DC recently but the dl website said it wasn't possible
Believe you'd need a TA to do it at a minimum. Might be able to force it through an OTA as a multi-city purchase though I recall DL being funky with multi city end-to-end ticketing.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Maybe they just do not want to deal with those routes?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JTE458
Why does Delta not allow flights for cities that are within a few hours drive of the original airport? If I want to fly PBI-ATL-TPA or EYW or JAX why is that not allowed and an error message appears that there's no availability for this route?

And yes, I could book one way to ATL and one way to destination but that is almost always much more expensive then it should be.
A couple of years ago I tried to book JAX-ATL-MIA. Could have done with a set of oneway tickets but it was just easier to book the non-stop AA flight.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I had a good laugh at "much more expensive then it should be".

Sure, it might be more than you want to spend, but it's absolutely the amount of money that DL wants to charge you for the route. These are clearly markets that DL doesn't want to play in and since you'd be displacing two one-way local passengers that's what they charge you.
FlyBitcoin likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JTE458
In whose mind? Airline ticket prices are driven by supply and demand, not what it cost to operate the aircraft from A to B. This is why you'll see fares to Europe and Asia that are far cheaper than what you'll see for a short hop domestically within the US. As an average, the fares will need to average out to cover the cost of operating the aircraft but an individual fare is not based on the aircraft operating costs. If instead of two one-ways for PBI-ATL and ATL-TPA you booked two one-ways to make PBI-ATL and ATL-LGA, you'd see similar results to your PBI-ATL/ATL-TPA multi-city construction. At that point it's two one-ways and it doesn't matter if the origin is just up the road from your original origin or over 1,000 miles away.

Also, as noted above, airlines have to publish their fares with the DOT. It's not worth it for the airline to publish fares for routes like this that they know few, if any, passengers will be flying such a route. The ROI simply isn't there. Instead, you can piece it together as two one-ways in a multi-city ticket if you truly desire to fly it but then you're paying two one-ways and DL will price it as such.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by koreanair720
You can book it. Just use the multi-city tool. DCA-ATL-EWR. Best deal is about $907 and takes just under 8 hours. UA has 5 non-stops and takes about 40 minutes in the air (perhaps less).

As you can imagine, not going to be much demand for that kind of schedule vs. 45 minutes on UA and not appreciably more on Amtrak (considering city center to city center).
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Often1
You can book it. Just use the multi-city tool. DCA-ATL-EWR. Best deal is about $907 and takes just under 8 hours. UA has 5 non-stops and takes about 40 minutes in the air (perhaps less).

As you can imagine, not going to be much demand for that kind of schedule vs. 45 minutes on UA and not appreciably more on Amtrak (considering city center to city center).
I ended up driving
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Parental approval is required.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

While you can book such connections on a single ticket, the connection has to be longer than 4 hours when there is no fare filing on the routing. In many cases, it will be cheaper to book on separate tickets as end-on-end fare combination requirements in cheaper fares will likely force you into a higher fare class when attempting to book on a single ticket. If the connection is less than 4 hours, you can only book such routings on separate tickets. The system will simply not allow you to combine the fares on a single ticket (no matter what the fare class).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 11, 2019 at 6:23 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
It all depends and I can’t quite find the rhyme/reason to it... like in Michigan you can have LAN-DTW (less than 100) booked round trip... but I can’t make ALB-NYC (ANY of them) work. Not even with ridiculous connections.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
It all depends and I can’t quite find the rhyme/reason to it... like in Michigan you can have LAN-DTW (less than 100) booked round trip... but I can’t make ALB-NYC (ANY of them) work. Not even with ridiculous connections.

Have you considered it might have something to do with the fact there are non-stop LAN-DTW flights while there are no non-stop ALB-NYC flights. Likely a requisite for the through fare filings from LAN. Same for MBS-DTW and AZO-DTW. Meanwhile, no LAN-FNT, LAN-AZO, LAN-MBS, FNT-DTW, FNT-AZO, and FNT-MBS fare filings. Why? No non-stop flights and no demand.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 11, 2019 at 10:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.