Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Worth it to try and upgrade to C+ from Exit Row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I’m a GM and am flying economy on a V fare with a companion from HNL to NRT and have exit row seats.

Should I request an upgrade to C+ as it looks like there’s quite a few seats available or should I just stay in the exit row?

Is there any other benefit to being in C+ besides earlier boarding? It would be less legroom and I’m not sure it worth risking my companion being placed in a middle seat or something.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

I am assuming you are on one of the 767 versions. I faced a similar dilemma on my recent flight. Be aware that they may do an equipment swap for a different version on the day of flight. Location of lav, limited recline in exit row seats and rock hard exit row seats are things to consider. No difference in service. With the version I initially had, given the available seats and lav location I thought exit row was better for the legroom despite rock hard seat. I unchecked the upgrade box and waited until day of flight to know which version I would have. They did an equipment swap to a version with a more favorable C+ section, I checked the box and received an upgrade to bulkhead aisle (despite being a hard bulkhead had ample legroom).
browan04 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by browan04
I’m a GM and am flying economy on a V fare with a companion from HNL to NRT and have exit row seats.

Should I request an upgrade to C+ as it looks like there’s quite a few seats available or should I just stay in the exit row?

Is there any other benefit to being in C+ besides earlier boarding? It would be less legroom and I’m not sure it worth risking my companion being placed in a middle seat or something.
You could end up in a middle seat in c+. Your choice. If you are riding with a companion, and have exit row, I am guessing you are in the 2 seat side. Therefore, no middle seat.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Alcoholic beverages are offered in C+ at no additional cost, if you choose to indulge that could easily save you $20+.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Wimsta
Alcoholic beverages are offered in C+ at no additional cost, if you choose to indulge that could easily save you $20+.
HNL-NRT would have free alcohol in all classes of service as its international
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by vincentharris
HNL-NRT would have free alcohol in all classes of service as its international
Good point, this wouldn't be an extra benefit in this case.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Assuming this trip is before the new boarding groups kick in, you’ll board at the same time at C+ since you’re GM. I’d keep the exit row either way.
browan04 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
C+ is basically useless honestly in comparison to exit row. I would stick with the exit row for sure.
browan04, apodo77 and DAL-767 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by vincentharris
C+ is basically useless honestly in comparison to exit row. I would stick with the exit row for sure.
Also in my anecdotal experience C+ will be jam packed while several empty seats (especially middle ones on 3-3 planes) in Y.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I never sit C+ for international long hauls only exit row seats. To get around the rock seats get yourself a butt pillow: https://www.thermarest.com/seating/lite-seat
browan04 and dalehill like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Based on location and legroom, I don't think you'll do better, and run the risk of doing worse, going from a twosey to a three-seater.

The thing that gives me pause is nine hours in that lightly padded seat in the exit row. I find that seat pretty hard and uncomfortable, and for a longer flight like HNL-NRT, I would want the more padded regular seat or remember to bring a pillow as suggested by FlyingUnderTheRadar above. In fact, I have one just like the one pictured, you squish out the air by rolling it up when you aren't using it, and mine came with a carrying case and a patch to fix holes with.

A minor quibble would be some exit row seats have no window, if you like that sort of thing.
browan04 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Exit row aisle is always my first pick. C+ bulkhead is also nice. Careful with window seats in the exit row. The door often juts out into your legroom.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by apodo77

Also in my anecdotal experience C+ will be jam packed while several empty seats (especially middle ones on 3-3 planes) in Y.
This has been my dilemma. I do AMS-EBB several times per year. I actually just bypass the free C+ upgrade and usually shoot for the aisle seats in the middle section (nobody wants those middles), in the rear half of the plane. Usually lots of empty seats, even rows, while C+ is jammed packed full due to the automatic upgrades.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We have an intl trip on 764 coming up. We did NOT pick the exit row as there is the chance of hard seat issues. Having two seats together is our #1 priority. We picked two rows behind c+ on both flights. We will deal with less room between rows just fine. Neither of us is over 5'10" so that helps a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.