Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Much Do You Drink While Flying? What do you have? Delta Flights only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Much Do You Drink While Flying? What do you have? Delta Flights only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I remember the first time I flew business internationally, the FA kept asking me if I'd like another drink and I kept saying yes because.... I have a hard time saying no to *free* things and didn't realize how much I was about to consume as a result.

They were just orange juices though.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Last Delta flight in first I had a beer as a PDB. Then another beer with my meal. As he was cleaning up my tray, the FA suggested that I have one more. I enjoyed them, but that was more than I would normally imbibe.

I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. Even though I am a pretty big guy, it hits me pretty hard. I have to watch myself as a couple drinks in the lounge before a flight will have me buzzed while getting on the plane. 3 drinks in the club and I might not be allowed to board.

It seems to hit me even harder on planes. One double vodka and I have to stop. When the FA's give me 2 bottles, I usually turn that into 2 drinks instead of a double.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Maybe a Woodford every 1:10 flights. Used to drink all the things before, during and after. For many many years. It's just not sustainable.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Well, this one’s a delicate one to reply to. My perspective on this has changed over the years. Nobody wants to be called out on their alcohol consumption, but in general, after ten years of frequent flying, I’ve noticed that an unhealthy relationship with alcohol often goes with the territory. I suspect having alcohol be free on most flights and in many hotel lounges has a lot to do with things, as does a variety of challenges that come with life on the road. Being surrounded by a cohort of others who also enjoy the hospitality booze can help normalize it, too. A drink or two at the lounge plus several at the plane plus a welcome drink at your hotel plus a nightcap all seem reasonable in isolation, but it adds up surprisingly quickly - in calories and wear on your body, if not in intoxication.

At the end of the day, consider whether you are comfortable with your own alcohol consumption. That’s something you have to consider deep down, and it may cause an angry reaction as first as you contemplate it. If you aren’t - perhaps you can’t remember the last time you had a flight where you didn’t have a drink, or even a day where you didn’t, and if that makes you uncomfortable - try dialing things back, or consider reaching out for help. There’s no shame in it, and you don’t even have to tell anyone else you’re doing it. Heck, a lot of people actually choose to do a dry January for that reason.

A good friend passed out after having bit too much to drink on a TATL flight, and while he was fine with a bit of medical care and the flight proceeded normally, it spurred him to rethink his consumption, and he dialed things back considerably after that. The amount he had wouldn’t have been a problem on the ground for him, but altitude did have an effect on the situation. Now, instead of a “four or more standard drinks per flight” guy, he’s a “one or two”/“wine with dinner” sort. He mostly achieved that with a rule where he alternates one drink with one glass of water or something else nonalcoholic to prevent dehydration.

Thats where I’ve landed, too. I drink a fair amount and am no prude/teetotaler, but I was never a four-to-six-Woodford-minis-in-one-transcon sort - I’m not waifishly small, but that amount of bourbon would completely knock me out and it strikes me as excessive. Particularly at altitude. I have been mostly a “at least one drink every flight” sort, though, and will certainly work my way through the wine list on Delta One flights to try as many of the options as are interesting.

But on days when I’m not feeling it, I’ve tried to be consciously better about not ordering something just because it’s free. Sometimes I steal one of the good teabags from the Sky Club to use on a domestic flight, and other times I’ll cook up a virgin cocktail just for something different (Fresca, splash of cranapple and a lime wedge is one of my go tos now!).

At home, I’m a bit of a wine aficionado, so we also bought a Coravin so my wife and I can pour ourselves a single glass of something rather than committing to a while bottle. That’s been great because it’s made us more comfortable buying fancier bottles, which we can enjoy on more than one occasion. I’d rather have one glass of something good than 2-3 of something terrible these days.

Separatey, come on, folks - do not be an idiot behind the wheel after flying. Stop drinking at least an hour before landing if you’re driving, use Uber/Lyft, etc. You don’t have magical superpowers others don’t, despite your tolerance, and driving while buzzed is still drunk driving.
jeet and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by griffy208
For an upcoming D1 flight - do they still do wine flights and/or pairings with each course via simple request or do I have to nag? Possible to get doubles of Macallan?
Unlike UA, DL doesn’t do formal “wine flights”, but I’ve never had a problem with trying a little bit of all the wines. Just tell the F/A you’d like to sample them all over the course of the meal, and they’ll usually be happy to give a lighter pour/swap out glassware when it’s time to switch to reds. They also serve from a cart, so it’s easy to taste one wine and then switch to the other if you don’t like it - which is my usual strategy for Chardonnays, which are hit or miss for me based on style.

Actually, the problem I encounter most often is that sometimes my glass will mysteriously refill without me being quick enough to stop it if I’m engrossed in a movie; try keeping your glass away from the aisle if you’re ready to switch out.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:10 am

I am always amused by people who spend time writing a response that says that they don't want to respond.For me:
  • Usually don't bother if it's a short flight (<1 hour)
  • Domestic:
    • Afternoon/Evening:
      • Winter selection (Woodford or Red wine) or summer selection (G&T or red wine)
      • PDB if offered,then usually 2 of whatever I am having. Varies if driving
    • Morning:May have a bloody if it's after 1000ish and I am just on a pleasure trip
  • International long hauls:
    • Mimosa if offered
    • Maybe one cocktail (see above)
    • Red wine It is hard to tell how many glassses of wine you have since they top it off, but for a long haul I assume about 3 glasses of wine.. maybe more.
Oddly, I do like beer, but never order one in flight. They so rarely seemed cold enough for me, or the selection is pitiful.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
May I introduce you to the world's greatest vodka mixer, Fresca? Zero calorie and delicious. It's only a shame it isn't in most skyclubs.

If I don't get upgraded, I always order the following: 1 cup of ice, 1 can of fresca and 2 vodkas.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:48 am

First post in a while as I'm usually just a reader but this one peaked my interest...

I've been both cutoff and readily keep "full" on a range of flights (Intl and Domestic, w/D1 included) I think it totally depends on destination and crew. Heading to Vegas with a younger crew is one thing I guess..
I know my limits both at airport clubs/bars and on-board but it all about being realistic
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A couple of discussion topics that can keep this in the Delta forum:

- How much will DL serve (per hour, for example)?

- What does Delta serve?

If it continues to go in the direction of 'How much is too much on a flight?' this thread will be sent to OMNI.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
May I introduce you to the world's greatest vodka mixer, Fresca? Zero calorie and delicious. It's only a shame it isn't in most skyclubs.

If I don't get upgraded, I always order the following: 1 cup of ice, 1 can of fresca and 2 vodkas.
Sprite Zero is a great vodka mixer for the lounges where there is a Freestyle machine Does DL have Sprite Zero onboard? Can't recall.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I recently did my first Delta One intercoms and delta first transcon domestics. I tend to drink a fair bit onnfkightsbdue to boredom, typically on longhaul ore departure fizz, stiff post deaperure G&T, cocktail, 2 to 3 wines with dinner, pudding wine or something with dessert (nice Sauternes intercontinental). Then follow up with amaretto and a few bourbons before a nap

On long domestics line the recent ATL-SJC pre departure G&T or margarita, post departure follow up, 2 wines and maybe a liqueur then a few stiff bourbons certainly no more than I would drink if at a loose end at home
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:18 am

@BenA - totally agree with you...I only drink what I can handle.

meanwhile for alcoholics like me.. see if this will inspire you guys 8 bottles of Dom from LAX-BKK on SQ in F

Last edited by jeet; Jan 10, 2019 at 1:56 pm Reason: fixed url link
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'm never in a premium cabin or even C+ so I'm paying out of pocket, and usually avoid purchasing alcohol on the aircraft although every now and then I'll get a beer or single nip of Rum/Whiskey.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by OHDL1
OP...I'm of the view...that's it's none of your business.
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
To be honest what I drink is no one's business
hey yall, this may come as a surprise, but you're not legally obligated to answer, and if you decline, nobody will notice.
stormlover, jeet and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:00 pm

Huge fan of the 18th Amendment, wish they'd outlaw the devil's elixir in the air.

At the very least we could cutdown on needless and costly diversions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.