Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We can take any open seat we want to when commuting for work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

See below for full story. Not mad but a first from a non rev. FA in uniform just told me on a flight where the seat map and upgrade list didn’t show the seat taken (images to follow).
Despite boarding in premium for my exit row aisle he was already on the plane with bags in the OHB.

Also told whoever he was taking to he will text on final approach so they can head their way to get them. Guess some rules don’t apply.

Best I can tell every other non-rev around me (4 of them in uniform) are accounted for on the seat map.

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 9, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
you post is lacking in clarity and details

Hope you had a good flight
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
you post is lacking in clarity and details

Hope you had a good flight
ATL-SRQ on an MD 90 (861).

As my awesome ultimate Diamond allows me after another non upgraded flight I boarded in Premium zone. Was seated in 27b and 27a has shown open all day long and still does as I am on the plane in the app. As I board I see that someone in a DL FA uniform is in 27a. I say hello and commented I thought I lucked out and had an empty seat next to me. Nothing rude and in a light hearted golly gee woe is me manner. He then made the comment about he can choose whatever seat he wants since he is commuting to work and sorry about my luck.
I didn’t engage further and overheard him on the phone prior to takeoff he will text them on final approach so they can head their way to pick him up.

And now you have the whole story.

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I swallowed a bug.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:12 pm

The other night I checked in to my room at an Intercontinental and the front desk told me both rooms next to mine were empty. Well later that night I heard a noise next door, so of course I knocked on the door and commented I thought I'd lucked out and had an empty room next to me. Nothing rude and in a light hearted golly gee woe is me manner. The guy then made the comment that he can stay in whatever room he wants and sorry about my luck. I didn't engage further.

Best I can tell other people checked in to rooms not next to mine, but this guy was next to me.

Also he left his room about 8 minutes after check-out time the next morning. I was watching. Guess some rules don't apply.

I also want to point out that I'm not mad and an awesome IHG Spire member.

That is all.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Sounds like a good night for popcorn.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
W27AB27A?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: A few
Confused: Help me out

I'm trying to follow along here; Are you upset that a DL employee took a seat next to you, or are you simply upset that the seat-map & upgrade list didn't reflect 27A being taken when you boarded?

Were you wanting to purchase that seat and were told no?
apodo77 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by apodo77

As my awesome ultimate Diamond allows me after another non upgraded flight I boarded in Premium zone. Was seated in 27b and 27a has shown open all day long and still does as I am on the plane in the app. As I board I see that someone in a DL FA uniform is in 27a. I say hello and commented I thought I lucked out and had an empty seat next to me. Nothing rude and in a light hearted golly gee woe is me manner. He then made the comment about he can choose whatever seat he wants since he is commuting to work and sorry about my luck.
I didn’t engage further and overheard him on the phone prior to takeoff he will text them on final approach so they can head their way to pick him up.

As far as I'm aware being a diamond doesn't guarantee you an empty seat next to you just like it doesn't guarantee you first class. If you were hoping for an empty seat you need to buy it. And what the FA said is factually true, so I'm not sure the issue? If they are flying for work they are space positive and hold a confirmed reservation. Since they are confirmed, they can choose any seat in their cabin that is still open, not waiting until everyone has boarded to clear into a seat. It's only when they are flying space available they don't get to choose a seat in advance and get-what-they-get, although most GAs will offer them a choice if there are choices available and they want to take a spot in a "lesser" seat. It's likely given this situation they would have flown in that exit row seat anyways. Generally space available is filled FC > C+ > Exit Row > Preferred Seats > Remaining Y
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I think the OP is more concerned that DL employees think they can do whatever they want "I can take any seat I want and I will turn my phone on before I am supposed to" and that they told a customer/said those things loud enough to be heard while they were in uniform.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I was rather surprised to find that the world hadn't come to an end when I woke up this morning.
OHDL1, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I think the OP is more concerned that DL employees think they can do whatever they want "I can take any seat I want and I will turn my phone on before I am supposed to" and that they told a customer/said those things loud enough to be heard while they were in uniform.
"I will text on final approach" could easily mean "I will use Delta's free in-flight messaging over WiFi to send an iMessage" (which, yes, people use interchangeably with text). And for all those thinking, "but wait, service cuts off at 10,000 feet," that could be considered final approach, but also that's not necessarily true. Some flights (e.g. flights with a 2Ku connection have gate-to-gate access).

As to the seat selection, seems like a reasonable response to what could have been perceived as whining about not having the adjacent seat free (to be clear, not saying that was the OP's tone/intent).
princeville and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
The commuting FA could also be the one who announces final approach at the first sign of decent 45 minutes before wheels down.

The commuting FA could also have said it in a 'nothing rude and in a light hearted golly gee' manner and the OP misinterpreted the tone.

Where did we leave that random, pathetic complaint thread anyway?!?

Oh, There it is!!
apodo77, mr_hoff, jinglish and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tkey75; Jan 10, 2019 at 5:43 am Reason: found the appropriate place for this thread
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We're not going to getting a full transcript of the initial verbal exchanges between the OP and employee, nor are we going to know the tone and body language. If one goes looking for a problem, though, he can often find one.
Taz, OHDL1, jinglish and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by apodo77

So, a working employee need to be on the plane, and took an empty seat. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Are we missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.