Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Premium Select an re-routing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba silver
Delta Premium Select an re-routing

Hi All! I am flying to Asia for the first time with DL this Wed Jan 16th returning Thurs Jan 24th and have a couple of questions. First, my itinerary is YUL-MSP in Delta first class ( Paid up-fare from C-plus to Z), then MSP-HND in paid premium select ( fare basis 'G'). My return is in paid DELTA 1 and then paid First ( booking codes " Z" and "J" ).

Looking at the seat maps it seem that on my outbound TPAC flight has all seats taken in both PS and J yet they are still selling seats. Same thing with the return TPAC flight, all seat taken in J yet seats for sale. Is that because it's either full or already overbooked, or they are planning an aircraft switch or even just a glitch. Not really worried on the return as all aircraft have J but not all have PS although Delta is really good on re-accommodating on other flights from my experience, although not required to do so but it is there policy.

If there are IROPS or a loss of PS will Delta re-route on any code-share or JV partner such as AF via CDG or another DL flight to ICN and then KE ? I know that they will route me via Detroit if there are still seats on that flight. Same question for my return; if I paid for J will they re-route in J via any JV partner. Air France seems unlikely but a Delta employee at Trudeau airport told me they re-route on any airline day of but try to favor Skyteam. That might not be policy if I go through reservations but rules seem to be different at the airport. And again, I find that among the three major US carriers Delta is the best in IROPS and willing at the very least to re-route on any code-share that has a DL flight number, not just revenue sharing partners.

Last, since my YUL-MSP flight is in first, if they sent me via another US hub would I get re-route in first on that segment if there are still first class seats available ( I would not expect to be upgraded on the international segment) or would they put me back in C-plus and refund the up-fare?

The good thing is that the weather seems fine the days I' m flying so again not too worried. I just rarely see a seat map being full while at the same time seeing something like " only five seats left at this fare" , and things usually work out at the end anyways.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see many open seats on the outbound and 3 open in D1 on the return. When did you last check? Quite likely related to Schedule Change Saturday.
stevendorechester likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If there are IRROPS agents have a lot of discretion. If the same cabin of service that you are booked is available on alternate routing, they will do this for no charge. When speaking with an agent, it's best to have something in mind that you want so that you can just ask them for it.

Also note that the seat map appearing full does not mean that the flight is fully booked, as seats can be blocked out for various reasons. Keep in mind that today is Saturday which is when the bulk of changes are loaded into the system, and this can sometimes impact things like this.
stevendorechester likes this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jan 12, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
At your place I will not worries too much.

I also flight from YUL a lots with AF & Delta. My final destination is PVG & PEK (sometime CAN with AF).

The first thing I will say you,
From YUL, Keep your smile, Agent from Delta are very nice and your first argument is keep your calm and have a good sense of humour (I personally have advantage this way).
It is many choice of route From YUL (via ATL, DTW, MSP).

From my experience Delta have most of the time "upgrade" me from PE to J, if PE is oversold. When J is also oversold (and can not upgrade me). They offer me alternate route.
But, it happen only one time to be reroute on AF (world tours) from PVG to YUL (via CDG), because nothing available at my satisfaction on Delta when oversold. Or if you have "free" time on the return, Delta can be very generous if you take the next flight.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
I see many open seats on the outbound and 3 open in D1 on the return. When did you last check? Quite likely related to Schedule Change Saturday.
Thanks! I just checked it. Saw early this morning that all seats were gone and now exactly what you said there seats are back. Not used to seeing that.

Thanks all of you for you' re replies. I' m nice to airline staff in general and have always been a fan of DL. Their agents at YUL are great, and so are the ones on the AF-KLM side ( had great service in the lounge). I know that in most cases agents at the airport have a lot of latitude in re-booking during IROPS, and not only with DL. Delta is even better than the others when it comes to their call centers IMO. I like the fact that they will re-route, in my experience, not only on revenue sharing partners but also on other code shares. When United has a schedule change or IROPS they will only re-route on their metal, not even on say AC code shares that they sell on their website. Don' t know why but they just won't

And sometimes Delta' s first class fares to the States are cheaper than AC' s economy fares. That' s why Delta is my first choice; the only thing that I wish they had was a lounge in YUL; too small an operation though. I remember flying them when they had a Crown Room here and you got a wide-body from Montreal to Boston. Great memories!

Last edited by stevendorechester; Jan 12, 2019 at 3:46 pm Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
the only thing that I wish they had was a lounge in YUL; too small an operation though. I remember flying them when they had a Crown Room here and you got a wide-body from Montreal to Boston. Great memories!
I agree with you, the only missing point for Delta is no lounge in YUL.
I also like the lounge of AF in YUL (even it is small, but staff there are great and very cool).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
seat maps are notoriously screwy on Schedule Change Saturday
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Seat maps can be very misleading.

If they are still selling J seats, no the flight is definitely not oversold in J.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.