Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Matching

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Status Matching

I had never heard of status matching before reading about it in an article today. Apparently, if you reach out to some airlines, they'll match the status you have with another airline? (Though it sounds like this sometimes, though not always, requires you to meet certain conditions.)

Has anyone tried this with their Delta medallion status? Which airlines did they have luck with? Any tips on how to go about this? Who exactly do you contact at the airlines and what conditions, if any, have folks encountered?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Delta does have a status match!
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/status-match-challenge.html
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Thanks! But what I was getting at was the opposite way around, i.e. I have Delta status and am wondering how folks have leveraged that for status on other airlines.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I looked into matching with United, but it wasn't going to work well with my upcoming travel schedule and/or my feeling about flying with United.

Essentially, you are given status and a period of time to meet certain requirements in order to keep that status for the remainder of the year.

It is usually for a period of 90 days and in order to keep it you have to meet 25% of that status' requirements.
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
There's a master thread and an entire website devoted to this. Enjoy.

Airline Status Match Master Thread

StatusMatcher | Obtain Elite Travel Status
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
There's a master thread and an entire website devoted to this. Enjoy.

Airline Status Match Master Thread

StatusMatcher Obtain Elite Travel Status
Awesome. Thank you!!!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by alexcr
Thanks! But what I was getting at was the opposite way around, i.e. I have Delta status and am wondering how folks have leveraged that for status on other airlines.
Sorry for completely mis-reading your post. I can share that AA has a status challenge, but existing status is not required. It's a pretty good deal if you can meet the requirements for AA Platinum (Oneworld Sapphire) because it includes MCE (their C+) at booking time for you and everyone on your itinerary, you pick the seats no upgrade games like with DL. Also a benefit is selecting your seats on BA flights at 7 days before travel (even business class on BA requires seat assignment fees).
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Sorry for completely mis-reading your post. I can share that AA has a status challenge, but existing status is not required. It's a pretty good deal if you can meet the requirements for AA Platinum (Oneworld Sapphire) because it includes MCE (their C+) at booking time for you and everyone on your itinerary, you pick the seats no upgrade games like with DL. Also a benefit is selecting your seats on BA flights at 7 days before travel (even business class on BA requires seat assignment fees).
IIRC AA charges a substantial fee to participate in these status challenges and doesn't offer them for EXP.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC AA charges a substantial fee to participate in these status challenges and doesn't offer them for EXP.
Those are true statements. I felt it was worth the $500 fee for Plat, as I timed it right for an 18 month membership and had 6 or so round trips with my wife in MCE, plus I had gone from zero-status to Plat so it was a nice change to be Priority. After that I kept it up for a few years of Gold (which just lapsed as I switched to DL). If I go back to AA I would have my wife execute a plat challenge.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Wow, time has changed. Back in the days, not so long ago, status match was instant, no challenge or fees. Flying in those days were grand.....

Jiburi
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jiburi
Wow, time has changed. Back in the days, not so long ago, status match was instant, no challenge or fees. Flying in those days were grand.....

Jiburi
.......and then too many people took advantage of the airlines' generosity and asked for the match with no intention to fly that carrier beyond one trip for which status benefits were desired while others did sequential status matches, never really earning status anywhere but getting free bags or lounge access for international trips, which of course did cost money to the airline.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
Don't believe AA has done straight-up matches in many, many years. There are threads on their status challenges going back to 1998 --

The Elite Challenge

I believe that WN and AS are the only major US airlines that don't have a challenge requirement. OP should keep in mind these match/challenges are generally only once in a lifetime or once every X years. It's not something you can do continuously year after year to maintain status on other airlines.
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 10, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LBJ
I believe that WN and AS are the only major US airlines that don't have a challenge requirement.
​​​​​​There may be other versions out there, but the WN A-list matches I've seen recently (and did one last year to stack with the CA Companion Pass offer) were UA/DL style, limited-time match upon approval, but must fly 3 RTs/6 one ways to keep for a year.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:52 pm

So are you admitting here that you have WN status and in fact acquired it voluntarily? Shocking!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
So are you admitting here that you have WN status and in fact acquired it voluntarily? Shocking!
"Had" -- it expired at the end of the year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.