Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight PDX-NRT diverted to ANC 1/4/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond

Due to an issue with the lav system, DL 0069 was diverted to Anchorage when we were about 5 hours out from Narita. They did not deplane any bags but bussed all of us to the Anchorage Marriott with overnight toiletry kits.

any other flyer talkers stuck here in anchorage overnight as a result?

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 8, 2019 at 4:28 am Reason: entered date in title
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Welcome to ANC! It's one of the coldest nights of the year so far. Curious, are they planning to send a rescue plane or did they provide a new ETD of the original plane once MX is completed for tomorrow? My husband works in hotel management up here (not the Marriott) and will be working the overnight shift. He is actually heading in to work now and is wondering if he will see DL pax.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, it’s definitely brisk out there. Reportedly we are leaving at 1030 tomorrow morning, but I don’t know if that is supposed to be on the original equipment or a new plane.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Still leaving today? There is a 763 (flight 9937) en route from SEA-PDX and is now showing going form PDX-NRT today at 11:38am. Tail is N190DN.
Maybe picking y'all up in ANC?

Original flight was on N192DN per flighstats.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So then DL will ferry the original 767 back to SEA for repairs?

BTW Anchorage sounds like a much better place to do an overnight diversion than Goose Bay.
jrkmsp likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So then DL will ferry the original 767 back to SEA for repairs?

BTW Anchorage sounds like a much better place to do an overnight diversion than Goose Bay.
Or Shemya!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I ended up once in ANC due to a medical emergency on PMNW; the airport handled it well and it’s definitely the best diversion option between Asia and the US. We were on our way after a bit of a fuel top up and only a few hours, though; sorry you got stranded overnight!

Probably better than lavatories overflowing into the aisles, though...

It’s too bad this was PDX-NRT and not NRT-PDX. There’s a large amount of service between ANC and the mainland, which makes me wonder if they would even bother with a rescue flight in that scenario; if I was in charge, I’d wonder if it might be easier/faster to just rebook everyone on random DL/AS flirhrs, hand out miles and refunds to the folks in J, and get everyone home sooner... then you can either ferry the AC home or use it as an extra section/equipment swap on ANC-SEA if you can fix the problem there.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Well, we’re back on board again on the original equipment. Plane was not recatered with regular international supplies so I am assuming we have domestic meals etc. FAs were not too sure about exactly what was on board but said that ANC doesn’t have stock for overseas flights. According to the pilot the lav problem was not fixed, so we are now heading to NRT with half the lavs working. He says the tank has been emptied and we should have enough capacity for the 7.5 hour flight. Hope that’s true!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Must have been a whole lot of poopy, because the plane was way past Anchorage when it turned around.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

Or Shemya!
If it were a serious problem with the engines, Shemya is a much better choice than the middle of nowhere in AK.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Finally arrived at destination with 24 hour delay

and surprisingly enough I have not received any sort of “we’re sorry” email from DL customer service for the entire debacle.

In your experience, does DL not normally reach out to pax after something like this with an email and some sort of offer of compensation? How long does that take? I’m DM if that makes any difference in how they usually handle this type of IRROPS situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.