Wiki Posts
Search

Dropping Award Segments Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold
Dropping Award Segments Question

AA refugee here doing my first DL award ticket, and I have a question....

I booked a round trip LGA-ATL-HAV-ATL-LGA. I wanted the return from HAV to be on a different date, but there was no availability, so I booked this.

A few days later, HAV-ATL-LGA became available on my preferred date, so I booked it as a one-way award. (Now I have 2 return flights on different dates.) I assumed I could change the original and just drop the HAV-ATL-LGA segments, resulting in two one-way awards on my preferred dates. I called, and the agent said the entire round-trip award would need to be be cancelled and a new LGA-ATL-HAV award would be purchased at the current price (which is much, much higher than it was originally).

Is that true? I did this on AA all the time but couldn't find explicit info. on the DL situation. Thanks a bunch!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you know whether your original award ticket priced (in miles) as a RT or two OWs put together on the same ticket/PNR? If you got RT pricing initially, I think it's standard with DL that you must cancel the whole thing and find new award availability. Similarly, it could be difficult to try to just fly the outbound and then cancel the return and expect to have the miles for the return portion refunded to you. I know this issue has been discussed here in the fairly recent past, since DL got rid of its award pricing charts.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:19 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
This is why delta sucks btw aa doesn't drop segments anymore unless you get a very kind agent
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you know whether your original award ticket priced (in miles) as a RT or two OWs put together on the same ticket/PNR?
The outbound and inbound portions both priced individually at 16K each (so 32K total for the round trip). But yeah, it was booked as one PNR. Worst case, I just waste the return and lose 16K. Annoying, but I guess I'll just book one ways from now on! Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
This is why delta sucks btw aa doesn't drop segments anymore unless you get a very kind agent
Alternatively, if you know the rules of the game, you can avoid situations like this by pricing one way awards in the future.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Alternatively, if you know the rules of the game, you can avoid situations like this by pricing one way awards in the future.
Missing my encyclopedic knowledge of AA rules, but after a year of flying DL, one 16K mile f-up is not too bad
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CaptainEasychord
Is that true? I did this on AA all the time but couldn't find explicit info. on the DL situation. Thanks a bunch!
A change to origin or destination on Delta reprices the award.

AA allows a segment to be dropped without a change (redeposit) fee. AA also charges a <21-day booking fee.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A change to origin or destination on Delta reprices the award.

AA allows a segment to be dropped without a change (redeposit) fee. AA also charges a <21-day booking fee.
OP isn't trying to change origin or destination, just to change a RT award (at miles that look like sale or advanced purchase RT pricing to me) to a OW award ticket.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Missing my encyclopedic knowledge of AA rules, but after a year of flying DL, one 16K mile f-up is not too bad
Can't disagree there!

I still think about the time 7 years ago when I did a mileage redemption to Hawaii at more miles than using pay with miles. It gives me nightmares to this day.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

(at miles that look like sale or advanced purchase RT pricing to me)
Oh, is RT pricing a thing? I didn't realize that. Although I will say that while my round trip priced at 16K each way, the one way I got later priced at 16K.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Oh, is RT pricing a thing? I didn't realize that. Although I will say that while my round trip priced at 16K each way, the one way I got later priced at 16K.
Since you are DM, can you simply cancel your round trip and book a new OW on our original date? Or is that too expensive now?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
Since you are DM, can you simply cancel your round trip and book a new OW on our original date? Or is that too expensive now?
Yeah, vastly more expensive now (62K for the new one-way). So I'm better off just letting it go.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:27 pm

Yes DL does offer some RT award pricing, often either as part of an award ticket sale or with advance purchase requirements, typically 21 days. YMMV.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Yes DL does offer some RT award pricing, often either as part of an award ticket sale or with advance purchase requirements, typically 21 days. YMMV.
Great to know. Really appreciate your replies.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
General Warning - if you book 2 One Way tickets vs a RT and cancel the whole thing - Delta will charge $150 to redeposit EACH award ticket/miles. Of course, if you are PM or DM, you can cancel with no charge. In this case, booking one way tickets makes more sense.

In the above case, I would not cancel the less desired leg and instead just no show. Spending $150 to get around $160 in miles back makes little sense for most folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.