Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta forcing passengers to check carry ons is this true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta forcing passengers to check carry ons is this true?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:03 am

[QUOTE=BHammy;30597332. "NO - or you won't be flying" was her only reponse.

.[/QUOTE]
This seems like the standard operating principle of the gate staff.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Jaguaar
Main cabin 3
Was always boarded last during all 4 flights
I think the root of your problems was that you chose to board last. I find that typically the beginning of Main 3 is usually (emphasis on usually - not always) safe with carry-ons. If you board last, you can pretty much guarantee that you're going to have to check your bag.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by WidgetKid
I think the root of your problems was that you chose to board last. I find that typically the beginning of Main 3 is usually (emphasis on usually - not always) safe with carry-ons. If you board last, you can pretty much guarantee that you're going to have to check your bag.
I wasn't the last but the second in line. There were only 5 passengers in that category anyways. And right at the start of boarding of this category the gate staff announced - no more carry bags will be allowed as plane is full. Of course it wasn't, when i entered, the staff inside the plane announced that they have space for 3 more suitcases at the back. It seemed like a deliberate policy to inconvenience the passengers who bought the discounted tickets. Had they informed at check in counter, I would have no problem with it.
My gripe is not why it was done but rather the way it was forced. I almost dodged a bullet, Had I found out that I lost the items from my luggage at Rio de Janeiro. I would not have been able to contact embassy on the phone, let alone in person or call my family to seek emergency assistance.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:18 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately Main Cabin 3 is the second to last group to board. I often try to warn family members without status traveling on DL who have Main Cabin 3 or Basic Economy tickets (sometimes Main Cabin 2 at hubs) that there's a possibility they might have to gate check their bags. Usually making sure that you have an under-seat personal item like a purse, small backpack, or tote bag can help you store any valuables from your larger bag in case it gets gate checked. (I tend to carry a tote bag folded up inside my suitcase in case of this possibility).
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So I was Main 2 tonight and during Main 1 they said all carryons checked. Get on plane and all the up bins are empty. .... Honestly feel like this is wrong. Lost a bag a few years ago. For good. So I’m very committed to my carryon. This can’t possibly be appropriate.
Spiff, indufan, emma dog and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So I was Main 2 tonight and during Main 1 they said all carryons checked. Get on plane and all the up bins are empty. .... Honestly feel like this is wrong. Lost a bag a few years ago. For good. So I’m very committed to my carryon. This can’t possibly be appropriate.
Force-checking carry-on should qualify a passenger to change to a later flight for free.

At a minimum, it should be limited to passengers flying the final segment without further connections.

The whole purpose of carry-on is to carry the items you cannot replace (can't afford to lose) or items you absolutely need to have without delay at the destination.

If one's carry-on is within the enforced limits, refusal to accept it on board must be considered violation of contract by the airline. In a perfect world, of course.
DCFlyer0306 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Firstboss
Force-checking carry-on should qualify a passenger to change to a later flight for free.

At a minimum, it should be limited to passengers flying the final segment without further connections.

The whole purpose of carry-on is to carry the items you cannot replace (can't afford to lose) or items you absolutely need to have without delay at the destination.

If one's carry-on is within the enforced limits, refusal to accept it on board must be considered violation of contract by the airline. In a perfect world, of course.
At least I was on my last leg. Still. I was pretty annoyed. It was a late flight getting in at nearly midnight and that put my departure from airport even later bc had to deal with baggage claim. Many people on board were angry. I may complain. I was unaware that I could change to a different flight (that was certainly never communicated). Of course this was the last flight of the day. What happens then? Do they have to put you up in hotel? LOL. Thankfully my bag did make it but this forced check added 25 minutes to my trip. And frankly if I’d known I’d have to check it, I wouldn’t have dragged it through international security etc. and lounge hopping for three hours.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 9, 2024 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Stgermainparis The ability to change to a different flight in case carry-on is not accepted was my wishful thinking
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 9:06 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
At least I was on my last leg. Still. I was pretty annoyed. It was a late flight getting in at nearly midnight and that put my departure from airport even later bc had to deal with baggage claim. Many people on board were angry. I may complain. I was unaware that I change to a different flight (that was certainly never communicated). Of course this was the last flight of the day. What happens then? Do they have to put you up in hotel? LOL. Thankfully my bag did make it but this forced check added 25 minutes to my trip. And frankly if I’d known I’d have to check it, I wouldn’t have dragged it through international security etc. and lounge hopping for three hours.
You should complain. Similar thing happened to me a few months ago and it’s got to stop.
Spiff and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
You should complain. Similar thing happened to me a few months ago and it’s got to stop.
I probably will. Had items in carryon that I needed for work the next day and would’ve been very peeved if bag didn’t make it.

Whenever I have made a complaint that doesn’t have a significant tangible “loss” (e.g. if bag is force checked but arrives with flight or if seat entertainment down) and is perceived as an inconvenience, they don’t seem to care. At all. Response essentially is “we got you and your stuff there” regardless of how they did it.

Edited to add: just filed a complaint with photos of empty overhead bins in my row and adjacent. I'll try to remember to update when they respond!

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 16, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 20, 2024, 2:28 pm

I probably will. Had items in carryon that I needed for work the next day and would’ve been very peeved if bag didn’t make it.

Whenever I have made a complaint that doesn’t have a significant tangible “loss” (e.g. if bag is force checked but arrives with flight or if seat entertainment down) and is perceived as an inconvenience, they don’t seem to care. At all. Response essentially is “we got you and your stuff there” regardless of how they did it.

Edited to add: just filed a complaint with photos of empty overhead bins in my row and adjacent. I'll try to remember to update when they respond!
Got a phone call. Said it was a weight balance issue, 🤔 which is not what they said at the gate. But they apologized and gave me 7500 points. I think they handled the complaint well.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 4:39 pm

Interesting - I feel like I've heard about weight/balance issues more in the past few months than I have in the prior 10 years of pretty heavy flying.

Perhaps airlines paying a bit more attention since the JetBlue tipping incident a few months ago? But that seems like a stretch...
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Got a phone call. Said it was a weight balance issue, 🤔 which is not what they said at the gate. But they apologized and gave me 7500 points. I think they handled the complaint well.
I think saying "weight and balance" vs "full" to the pax being told to gate check might be an issue. Many posters here would understand that, but most in the real world would not and would be asking what is going on and delaying boarding.

I think the more common issue with premature cutoff though is the simple fact that they can not wait for the bins to be actually full. If they did so, there would be dozens of pax already past the GA with rollers that will not fit. It would be a major meltdown.

So they wing it, estimates by FA and GAs. And can get it way wrong.

A camera on the gate could solve this (and also refine W&B with not just bags but average pax size). That would not only help on the bins pace issue but better W&B could help the airline thus pay for implementation. of such a system.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jan 20, 2024 at 5:30 pm
Old Jan 20, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by BHammy
I think it depends on the GA.

Mrs BHammy and I were headed to SYD through ATL and LAX from CHA...two weeks after I had back surgery.
I had an earlier flight to check gear through customs in ATL (with carnet), wife was coming 3 hours later with a tighter connection (45 mins, I think)

We were both PMs at the time, got seat in the second row of C+ just inside boarding door, and FA closed bins above us knowing she was running late due to weather out of CHA. My wife ran to the gate, with a CabinOK sized bag (smaller than normal carry on) which had ice packs and such as well as feminine products for our 4 hour flight to LAX and then 14 hour flight to SYD.

But within 15 minutes of closing the doors, the GA flipped on her power trip mode: ALL FURTHER BAGS MUST BE CHECKED.
I could hear my wife and several other pax in the jetway pleading with her to carry on small bags. "NO - or you won't be flying" was her only reponse.

She hadn't checked with the FAs what so ever - she only wanted an online gate departure....ended up taking WAY longer arguing with pax, getting bag tags, fragile tags, etc... My wife ends up coming on board in tears having to carry her feminine products onboard by hand, with the FAs shocked at how the GA was treating the last few pax.

During flight, FA ended up apologizing for GA, gave my wife a selection of premium snax and bottle of wine.
Post flight complaint ended with stock response covering for staff.

That's been the worst of our flights - but when showing up 'late' (zone 3+) to the gate, I hear more and more about checking bags. They let us on, both the DM status now, but plenty of others are stuck putting their bags below to destination. YMMV.
I have found the best way to handle a situation like this is to let the gate agent do what they are going to do. Let them tag the bag and then plead your case with crew at the door of the plane where you are supposed to leave the bag (explain you have an overseas connection, medicine in the bag or lithium batteries buried in the bag you will have the dig around and find and it might take a minute or two....(pack one in there so you are telling the truth 😉.. that usually works wonders with getting your bag in the cabin..) the crew usually will work with you under these circumstances. The gate agent(s) will be busy dealing with other passengers at the scanner and won't know what's going on anyway if you handle it right with the crew onboard..all they care about is being able to close the door on time.
Firstboss and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I think saying "weight and balance" vs "full" to the pax being told to gate check might be an issue. Many posters here would understand that, but most in the real world would not and would be asking what is going on and delaying boarding.

I think the more common issue with premature cutoff though is the simple fact that they can not wait for the bins to be actually full. If they did so, there would be dozens of pax already past the GA with rollers that will not fit. It would be a major meltdown.

So they wing it, estimates by FA and GAs. And can get it way wrong.

A camera on the gate could solve this (and also refine W&B with not just bags but average pax size). That would not only help on the bins pace issue but better W&B could help the airline thus pay for implementation. of such a system.
I get that. And I think this time they were premature in saying overheads were full, but I can understand them wanting to avoid a bigger problem later. I don’t know enough about planes to know how they’d have a weight and balance check before the second half of pax boarded.

When we boarded not even 50% of the bins in the back half of the plane were full. I also saw quite a few under seat items in the overheads (purses, coats, shopping bag) and FAs didn’t ask pax to relocate them. I’ve been on flights where they really tried to enforce that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.