Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL vs VS Upper Class pricing difference.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite

I've just booked a r/t on VS in Upper Class from SFO>LHR>SFO trip in March. The Economy and Premium Economy fares are identical, however Upper Class on VS is $4,454 r/t and on DL.com it's $6,299 r/t! Are these two airlines never going to be able to match their fares in all classes, regardless whether it's booked on VS vs DL? Totally unnecessary when you're in a JV IMHO!

Last edited by audidudi; Dec 31, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
JVs etc make no difference if you expect rational prices.

A few years ago I flew on a BA Metal,it was booked via AA with an AY flight number. IB also code shared the flight.

There was a price range of £400 between the lowest and highest fare depending on who I booked with and which flight code (yes I checked all the combinations!) All of these airlines are in the same JV (and two share an owner) yet had different prices and all share the revenue.

In your case depending on the fare bucket (you need J, C or D) the VS ticket booked via VS could get you a free car at both ends but not if you booked via DL
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VS and DL have exact same ZN1XU6D4 fare filiings for $3129 base and $1106 YR. Sounds like DL just doesn't have Z bucket available in one direction (did you check?). Doesn't necessarily mean there's no coordination going on just because they don't have exact same inventory available on every flight. VS does have a slightly lower ZN1XU6D1 filing ($100 less) for which DL does not have a matching filing. This is the fare that you booked. Could be the DL has better brand recognition out of SFO and thus the $100 premium.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
It was that way when I booked TATL in July. Also, seat availability in J with points was better on VS than on DL. Took VS A346 one way and DL 332 return. No surprise, DL's hard product was slightly better but the VS service was far better, even contributing to the fond memories of the trip.
I don't need the larger IFE screen, and I enjoyed sleeping on the VS upper class seat not converted to the bed. So for the same price, I choose VS. For $1,800 less, you bet I choose VS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.