Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Prevalence of Google Flight fares requiring a travel agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

So many of the DL fares I find are only available via a travel agent. (GF says this on the final page after you've selected all your flights.) But, the travel agents I talk to can't find these fares. Most agents don't book flights only any way - they want to book just packages.

Has GF gotten less reliable than it used to be?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google Flights uses ITA Software code behind the scenes which has issues with married segment availability when using multi-city searches (it incorrectly only looks at individual flight bucket availability with multi-city searches). They've added a "hack" to Google Flights get around the ITA issues by doing a final inventory check on the actual married segment inventory. It's not a real fix as they should really be looking at married segment availability from the initial flight search and quoting prices based on that. Unfortunately, they incorrectly state that an agent might be able to book the flights (they can't). But then, I've explained this all to you in the earlier thread that you started.
Duke787, wxman22 and kthomas like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 25, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's is an example with CLE-ATL-MSY on Jan 2, flights 401 and 1167. Google initially quotes a $173 E fare with L basis because the individual flights have L inventory. But wait there's no L inventory, only M on the married segments! Therefore, the only fare than can actually be booked is an M fare at $370. An agent cannot simply ignore the married inventory and book that $173 fare. It doesn't work that way.

Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Thanks for explain LBJ.
wxman22 and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
It may be the agents with whom you're speaking. I regularly book complex itineraries through our agency (Amex Global Business Travel). I generally find these complex itineraries on GF and then call in (as opposed to using our booking tool, Concur). ~90% of the time the agents can compose the itinerary and price it close to what I find on GF.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by webmarks
It may be the agents with whom you're speaking. I regularly book complex itineraries through our agency (Amex Global Business Travel). I generally find these complex itineraries on GF and then call in (as opposed to using our booking tool, Concur). ~90% of the time the agents can compose the itinerary and price it close to what I find on GF.
Corporate travelers often have access to fare buckets unavailable to the general public enabling AMEX GBT to book the complex itinerary while a generic TA would not have access to that same inventory -- I know this happens somewhat frequently at the company I work for when I'm traveling
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Duke787
Corporate travelers often have access to fare buckets unavailable to the general public enabling AMEX GBT to book the complex itinerary while a generic TA would not have access to that same inventory -- I know this happens somewhat frequently at the company I work for when I'm traveling
These are corporate discounts which are negotiated by the employer with a carrier. Those generally may only be booked by a corporate TA designated by the employer. That is generally coupled with compliance software such as Concur, which can limit what employees may book and either limit or at least log exceptions.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
These are corporate discounts which are negotiated by the employer with a carrier. Those generally may only be booked by a corporate TA designated by the employer. That is generally coupled with compliance software such as Concur, which can limit what employees may book and either limit or at least log exceptions.
100% agree -- just noting that the poster who cited an example complex bookings by AMEX GBT shouldn't assume those complex bookings available to the general public just because AMEX GBT can book them. AMEX GBT has access to discounts / fare buckets that aren't available to general public.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
When google flights says to book with a “travel agent”, doesn’t it really mean “I can’t direct you to DL.com to book broken fares”; however you can go to DL.com and book some broken fares by using the “multi-city” feature.

Try it when you want a cheaper fare between two DL hubs. Use ORD or MDW as the connection point using “multi-city”.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RRDD
When google flights says to book with a “travel agent”, doesn’t it really mean “I can’t direct you to DL.com to book broken fares”; however you can go to DL.com and book some broken fares by using the “multi-city” feature.

Try it when you want a cheaper fare between two DL hubs. Use ORD or MDW as the connection point using “multi-city”.
These are not broken fares. The $173 example above (a CLE-MSY fare - fare basis code LA3NA0BQ) and many others are simple through fares where ITA/Google is incorrectly using individual flight bucket availability instead of married segment availability when quoting through fares. It's clearly an error and cannot be booked by an agent. Sometimes it works out and there is similar bucket availability on both individual flights and married segments, and sometimes it doesn't as in the case above where there is no L bucket on the married segments.
kthomas likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 26, 2018 at 11:50 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by LBJ
These are not broken fares......
I'm sure you're correct for the case you quote. However; as someone who never learned the meaning of "buckets", "ITA", "basis codes", etc; I have learned that one may book cheap fares quoted by Google Flights and Kayak by using the "multi-city" function on DL.com.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RRDD

We are discussing specific instances where Google Flights/ITA multi-city produces fares that cannot be booked on delta.com or OTA's. I never said that the multi-city fares are always in error and not bookable on delta.com. It's the specific cases where they are not bookable online where it's likely an issue with their use (or rather, lack thereof) of married segment inventory. By the way, delta.com multi-city search no longer even attempts to merge multiple segments on single fares. So even in the cases where Google/ITA produces correct quotes where married segment inventory matches individual flight inventory, you will not be able to reproduce on delta.com using multi-city search.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Actually, this problem happens a lot with GF. I've lost the count of time that i find something good only to be told to book by agent, or worse yet, it forwards to DL website and the site throws an error say fare not available or "private" whatever that means.... It wastes a lot of time.

This issue is not limited to DL and happens with other airlines as well...
kthomas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.