Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Someone needs a geography lesson. SYA is roughly equivalent in latitude to the north end of Vancouver Island, some 2,500 miles from the North Pole.
As I said in my very first post, it was tongue-in-cheek. I know where SYA is in relation to the North Pole — but it is very much as remote, if not more so.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The affected airplane (N1612T) left Shemya for Seattle yesterday, and will be back in the regular rotation today. So, it does not look like the repair needed was too extensive.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Having been to both, I would far prefer to divert to CDB than SYA, Cold Bay is closer to the rest of the country, and is civilian and so you can have the run of the town such that it is. At SYA, you would have military guards and the weather starts at bad and goes down from there.
If they had diverted to Cold Bay, would there have been customs officials there to process passengers to give them "run of the town"? I'm not sure how that works at a military base but if the pax were confined to a building either way I'm not sure the difference.

I'm glad to not have been a part of it but reading about it had been interesting
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Gig103
If they had diverted to Cold Bay, would there have been customs officials there to process passengers to give them "run of the town"? I'm not sure how that works at a military base but if the pax were confined to a building either way I'm not sure the difference.
The passengers on the 2013 divert to CDB were taken into town:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/arti...ay/2013/10/30/

There's no road out of Cold Bay.
wrp96 and Gig103 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by cautiousjon
I wonder if Delta will have to pay for the use of the air station for the divert (my guess is yes) and if so, how much.
considering the relationship between the company and the administration I would agree.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
The last time a Delta flight diverted to an Alaskan island, they had to fly a deicing truck in from MSP.
I would have loved to see that! Did they contract a C-5 or AN-225 or something? There's no way it would fit in any of DL's fleet.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I would have loved to see that! Did they contract a C-5 or AN-225 or something? There's no way it would fit in any of DL's fleet.
There is a post above with a link to pictures.

Here is the post.
Originally Posted by cautiousjon
There's some discussion about this on airliners.net (https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1411327) including a link to a Flickr album showing some pretty cool photos of the previous Delta diversion to Cold Bay.
​​​​​​
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by amanuensis
What is Alaska flying to Adak? IIRC, they retired the use of their combination cargo and pax aircraft. The flight flies TSA with them because none are stationed there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adak,_Alaska
Originally Posted by mediator

I believe AS flies the 738/9 to ADK now.
AS mostly sends the 73G to Adak, although in my observation it seems to be whatever is available at ANC on Thursdays and Sundays.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by defrosted
There is a post above with a link to pictures.

Here is the post.
​​​​​​
thanks. Looks like it was an An-225
defrosted likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Someone needs a geography lesson. SYA is roughly equivalent in latitude to the north end of Vancouver Island, some 2,500 miles from the North Pole.
LOL SYA is about ten miles closer to the North Pole than TXL airport in Berlin.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: Delta PM
ETOPS

Originally Posted by pvn
Is that serious enough to require an immediate landing instead of continuing on 1 engine to ANC?
The whole point of ETOPS is to allow an aircraft that loses an engine to be have a place to land.
Dual engine planes that lose an engine can not maintain a cruising altitude. In other words, on one engine only, they will be descending, slowly, but surely. The flight plan takes this into account to make sure they are never too far from a diversion airport.

During the Cold War, SYA was the primary base for our Cobra Ball mission. They took off in a RC-135, within 15 minutes (I think) every time the USSR launched a missile. They would then take pictures of the re-entry vehicle as it came down over the northern Pacific.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by wxman22
Dual engine planes that lose an engine can not maintain a cruising altitude. In other words, on one engine only, they will be descending, slowly, but surely.
Source? Reason I ask is because twin engine airliners (even non ETOPS) can ascend on takeoff with only one engine. (V2 speed). Cruise flight uses significantly less power, so I highly doubt you could use one engine to take off, but couldn’t use one for cruise...

Last edited by HDQDD; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by amanuensis
What is Alaska flying to Adak? IIRC, they retired the use of their combination cargo and pax aircraft. The flight flies TSA with them because none are stationed there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adak,_Alaska
I think one of the most interesting places in the world that I've been to was Adak, AK. We were originally scheduled to have a B73G however they needed to send some cargo to the corporation there so we swapped to a Combi aircraft and thus lost my UG but when it's a Combi that's kind of an upgrade for an AvGeek.

The TSA did fly out and back and I learned that they travel on revenue tickets that is being paid for by the tax payers as they don't have adequate people in Adak to support a full time location so they're all MVP Golds and above and can be seen sitting in First Class.

Originally Posted by mediator
I believe AS flies the 738/9 to ADK now.
It's most likely the 73G as the 738/739 would be too much capacity for ADK.

Originally Posted by Chugach
AS mostly sends the 73G to Adak, although in my observation it seems to be whatever is available at ANC on Thursdays and Sundays.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Source? Reason I ask is because twin engine airliners (even non ETOPS) can ascend on takeoff with only one engine. (V2 speed). Cruise flight uses significantly less power, so I highly doubt you could use one engine to take off, but couldn’t use one for cruise...
The atmosphere is much less dense at 35K feet (roughly about 25% of the density at sea level.)

https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7e...de54f87b9e.pdf

That yields less lift from the wings.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The atmosphere is much less dense at 35K feet (roughly about 25% of the density at sea level.)

https://www.avs.org/AVS/files/c7/c7e...de54f87b9e.pdf

That yields less lift from the wings.
Obviously, but perhaps you forgot that more importantly: it reduces drag which means less power is needed to maintain cruise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.