Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Some Delta passengers are going to spend Christmas near the North Pole

Old Dec 24, 18, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Ok, it’s not that close. But it’s certainly as desolate. DL128, which I’ve taken from PEK to SEA, diverted to SYA — Shemya, Alaska. There’s a rescue flight en route, but boy is that desolate. The last time a Delta flight diverted to an Alaskan island, they had to fly a deicing truck in from MSP.

Rescue flight: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...110Z/KSEA/PASY

Diversion: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...420Z/ZBAA/PASY
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Actually, from Wikipedia, this is just a reopening of a PMNW station:

In 1956, Northwest Airlines leased Shemya Island from the U.S. government to use as a refueling station on their North Pacific route. According to Northwest's website, that made them "the first airline to operate its own airport."[2] Northwest was operating Lockheed Constellation L-1049G model propliners on its "Orient Express" service between the U.S. and Asia in 1956.
Now we just need to get DL to unretire the Connie and base it out of Seattle - for my money, the most beautiful commercial aircraft ever designed.
Gar1P, wrp96, webmarks and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA View Post

Now we just need to get DL to unretire the Connie and base it out of Seattle - for my money, the most beautiful commercial aircraft ever designed.
LOL! Yes!
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:14 am

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Y'all realize that the actual North Pole, AK is closer to FAI
https://goo.gl/maps/JAZSQab7z4v
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
Yes, but this made a better subject line.
BenA, samwise6222, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
. And recycling a photo I took earlier this month at SEA and shared in the lounge thread, I suspect the passengers on DL 8240 will get even closer:

HawaiiO, Silver Fox, wrp96 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 18, 8:40 am

(For those who don’t follow the lounge thread, the explanation - that “flight” was really on the board, but it was the annual Holiday in the Hangar charity flight, where DL employees decorate their hangar as the North Pole and operate a “flight” there so underprivileged kids can experience what it’s like to take a commercial flight and so they can meet Santa and receive gifts. Kinda puts a new meaning on “redcoat” )
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by BenA View Post

Agreed. Notice my handle. My all time fave flight.
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
So, do we know why it diverted?
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: Float between DL Gold and DL Platinum; "alum" of consistent mid-high tier status on UA
Back to the topic of the diverted flight . . . I hope there is a FTer on board who can report how it all unfolded.A few logistical questions I have about a situation of a diversion to an extremely remote location:
1. Are passengers allowed to deplane? If so, is there any kind of facility for them in which to pass the time? What would that look like? If they do deplane, is there a security rescreening process before they re-board? How would that work as I doubt there is security screening machinery in place there? Maybe they’d send some TSA agents on the rescue plane with hand-held wands?
2. I would really hope that passport formalities (i.e, the absence of a CBP presence there) would not be a barrier to allowing passengers to deplane. I mean, really, is a non-citizen with nefarious intent going to attempt to take advantage of the situation to sneak into the U.S. by way of a remote Aleutian Island?
3. Given that there is a “rescue plane” coming, how are the logistics of checked baggage handled? Will they transfer baggage to the “rescue plane”, or leave it on the affected plane for future delivery? If they bring some baggage handlers on the rescue plane, that’ll probably represent an exciting opportunity for them. Would they bring one of those planeside conveyor belt trucks on the rescue plane?
4. If passengers have to stay on the plane, would Delta be able to provide some meal service and keep lavatories functioning?
Merry Christmas to all on board! Hope you can get where you are going as soon as possible.

Last edited by andrewk829; Dec 24, 18 at 9:34 am Reason: Spacing
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM
Originally Posted by DLATL777 View Post
So, do we know why it diverted?
Not yet, but obviously something mechanical... I suspect the reason will be on avherald.com soon. The affected aircraft is the N1612T, which is a regular on the PEK-SEA route.
Old Dec 24, 18, 9:55 am

I bet they had to wait for a gate.
Old Dec 24, 18, 10:03 am
vga

Programs: yes
More than 100 Tri-State children took a special trip to see Santa Saturday. It was Delta Airlines' fourth annual North Pole flight.
Old Dec 24, 18, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
Not yet, but obviously something mechanical... I suspect the reason will be on avherald.com soon. The affected aircraft is the N1612T, which is a regular on the PEK-SEA route.
I heard it was a rollback on the #1 engine.
Old Dec 24, 18, 11:36 am

Programs: DL FO, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by andrewk829 View Post
3. Given that there is a “rescue plane” coming, how are the logistics of checked baggage handled?
They will send gate and ramp agents from SEA on the rescue flight to assist with the pax / bags transfer. But, RE: bags, it really depends on what equipment the base has at their disposal. Since bags on widebody A/C must be in containers, if they don't have a container loader on hand, the checked bags will probably have to sit there until the broke airplane is fixed and ferries out. A narrow-body A/C that diverts would not have this issue, since those bags are bulk-loaded and aren't in containers.

I believe Cold Bay, AK still has a Delta de-ice truck there from a previous ETOPS diversion, it was cheaper to just write it off and leave it there rather than package it up and send it back somewhere in Delta's network. So you never know what sort of oddities are lying around some of these remote ETOPS fields.
andrewk829, trooper, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: