Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion benefits if I book Delta flight of AirFrance ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver

For work, we have to use a booking site. It shows the exact same flights for Delta and Air France (on Delta metal for almost all of the trip) (PBI-LIS) , but Air France is cheaper.
Due to a far too complicated to explain reason, I would need to book the cheaper fare. As a platinum medallion, if I booked on a DL ticket, I could get the C+ for free and Sky Priority.
But if I book on a Air France ticket, would I get the same treatment? I also have the same options on a KLM ticket.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
For work, we have to use a booking site. It shows the exact same flights for Delta and Air France (on Delta metal for almost all of the trip) (PBI-LIS) , but Air France is cheaper.
Due to a far too complicated to explain reason, I would need to book the cheaper fare. As a platinum medallion, if I booked on a DL ticket, I could get the C+ for free and Sky Priority.
You already explained it in two words.

But if I book on a Air France ticket, would I get the same treatment? I also have the same options on a KLM ticket.
Any insight would be appreciated.
You will be able to upgrade to C+, but ONLY on day of departure. Most of your other benefits will carry over. You'll get lounge access, sky priority baggage/security etc.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
You already explained it in two words.
good point!

Originally Posted by pvn
You will be able to upgrade to C+, but ONLY on day of departure. Most of your other benefits will carry over. You'll get lounge access, sky priority baggage/security etc.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I really want to book c+, since it is a 767 I am flying on. Doubt that they will have any good seats left on day of departure.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I actually didn't think that any status upgrades happened on international itineraries. Can't even pull up an upgrade list when I travel those routes.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I actually didn't think that any status upgrades happened on international itineraries. Can't even pull up an upgrade list when I travel those routes.
You'll see GUC upgrades for D1 on the list if any are still pending. I think C+ upgrades are just rare outside of PM+ clearing on ticketing, but they do exist.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Psyduck1
You'll see GUC upgrades for D1 on the list if any are still pending. I think C+ upgrades are just rare outside of PM+ clearing on ticketing, but they do exist.
If you are on an AF-coded DL flight, there is no way to be upgraded to C+ other than on day of -departure. The system simply won't allow it or process it. The flight must be DL coded so that it can be exchanged for SU class (the upgrade bucket for C+) due to C+ being a separate fare class.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
If you are on an AF-coded DL flight, there is no way to be upgraded to C+ other than on day of -departure. The system simply won't allow it or process it. The flight must be DL coded so that it can be exchanged for SU class (the upgrade bucket for C+) due to C+ being a separate fare class.
But hey! Since it’s AF marketed, you get MQDs based on percentage of distance travelled
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
As PM"
My KL ticketed DL steal showed up in the DL program and allowed me to upgrade to C+ immediately.

My phone call to customer service got me into better seats of the AF portions of my KL ticketed flight.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wimsta
As PM"
My KL ticketed DL steal showed up in the DL program and allowed me to upgrade to C+ immediately.

My phone call to customer service got me into better seats of the AF portions of my KL ticketed flight.

Hope that helps.
How long ago was your trip? Was the DL flight KL-marketed or DL-marketed? This has not been true since they made C+ a separate fare class on DL TATL routes (Jan 22, 2018). Upgrades are now processed into SU class just like domestic. It can't be don't done with AF/KL marketed flights because they have no concept of a SU class for upgrades.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 24, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
How long ago was your trip? Was the DL flight KL-marketed or DL-marketed? This has not been true since they made C+ a separate fare class on DL TATL routes (Jan 22, 2018). Upgrades are now processed into SU class just like domestic. It can't be don't done with AF/KL marketed flights because they have no concept of a SU class for upgrades.
I flew ATL-JFK-AMS-DEL Nov. 16th
DEL-CDG-ATL Dec.9

I booked January 3rd on KLM

ATL-JFK was on DL steal, showed up in the DL app, UG no problem.
JFK-AMS was on DL steal (I think, sorry I've had so many AMS flights this year) and I had to call in to get the C+ seat.

DEL-CDG-ATL were both on AF, I bought preferred seats at booking, when I called in they said I could have gotten them for free with PM.

So, you my be correct, but in may case they did get me into the "Premium Class" after I called.
My original ticketing information was "Economy Class"

It may be different since I booked earlier in January...

Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wimsta
As PM"
My KL ticketed DL steal ...
Hope that helps.
I think you mean steel (or metal), unless it was a really good deal?

Back to the original question... you could always book and then call AF to see if they'll upgrade you. If not, you could void it within 24 hours.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
I think you mean steel (or metal), unless it was a really good deal?

Back to the original question... you could always book and then call AF to see if they'll upgrade you. If not, you could void it within 24 hours.
I did mean steel, and It even felt wrong while I was doing it...
I did think $706 R/T was good though.

The phone call within 24 hours does seem the smartest move.
rucksack likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The issue isn't metal or ticket, it's marketing of the flight. If it's DL coded it can get a window upgrade. If the DL metal flight is partner coded then only window upgrades.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I figured out a way (I hope) that will satisfy my company and booked it as a DL ticket.
I would have tried the 24 hour suggestion if I hadn't done it before reading this. So I will not be able to help with an answer. I have my C+ seat reserved. Since it is a 767, I opted for the aisle of one of the 2 in the 2-3-2 configuration. Hopefully that works out for an empty seat next to me.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The issue isn't metal or ticket, it's marketing of the flight. If it's DL coded it can get a window upgrade. If the DL metal flight is partner coded then only window upgrades.
I suspect that explains why my original booking shows KL flight numbers and the later image has changed to DL flight numbers. That is probably what they did when I called in.

I am pretty sure I was able to select the C+ seat through the app before I called for the ATL-JFK flight, but I did have to get them to make the change for me on the JFK-AMS flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.