Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

1 Itinerary, 4 Segments, 4 Planes, 3 Airlines + Weirdness!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme

So, I have a speaking engagement in Kitale, Kenya this February. I check flights with DL and they're all over the map -- price-wise, time-wise, etc. I check ITA and find the shortest IAD>NBO flight times and Z-fare pricing is good -- about $4200/pp R/T for my wife and myself, through DL. Travel times are ~18 hours out and ~24 hours back, due to a >6-hour layover at AMS on the return leg. The only "issue" is that, while ticket is 006 and all DL flight numbers, the itinerary is on an AF B773 IAD>CDG, a Kenya Air B788 CDG>NBO, a KLM B744 NBO>AMS (our first-EVER 747, woohoo!), and a KLM A333 AMS>IAD. Fares are Z>C>Z>Z respectively.

ITA coughed up this "eclectic" mix, but DL wouldn't, so I called the DM Desk an hour ago and spoke with Jose, who was AWESOME! He had to do battle with the International Desk, who didn't want to work for their pay today and tried multiple times to shut him down. Jose bulldogged it and wouldn't let them go. After multiple INTL agents hung-up on him, he managed to get one that he was able to bend to his will. QAPLA'! (Success! in Klingon )

Now, all of a sudden, a bunch of similarly-priced flights, all on KLM metal, are showing up that weren't showing up before my call. What just happened?!?!

Seriously, I've been scoping out flights for the last week on both the DL iPhone app and on DL.com, and NOTHING like this was showing up, including this morning moments before I called. I didn't change parameters, and was always using the "Flexible Dates" option.

Could those multiple calls to the International Desk have forced DL.dumb to start displaying flights that weren't making it through before?

I never would've bothered with the call -- as fun as Jose was -- had these options been available when I was looking to book online.

ETA: Also, Jose couldn't assign any seats, so after booking I went into my AF iPhone app, loaded the CONF#, and was able to select seats on ALL flights -- including the KA flight and return KLM flights. Is this a phony seat selection, or does AF has magical powers that DL lacks?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Now, all of a sudden, a bunch of similarly-priced flights, all on KLM metal, are showing up that weren't showing up before my call. What just happened?!?!

it could be something as simple as fare bucket availability on the relevant segments. I really doubt your inquiry caused Delta to change a fare rule.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
it could be something as simple as fare bucket availability on the relevant segments. I really doubt your inquiry caused Delta to change a fare rule.
I dunno... I can be pretty persuasive. After all, I did get a girl WAY out of my league to stay married to me for 25 years.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most likely KLM released additional inventory or a new fare. If within free cancellation window (midnight day after) I'd call and rebook.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If this had happened on a regular weekday, there would be a chance that someone helping you contacted RM and someone at RM took the initiative to reconsider, resulting in the new itineraries showing. On the Saturday morning before Christmas, I doubt it.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I dunno... I can be pretty persuasive. After all, I did get a girl WAY out of my league to stay married to me for 25 years.
That's easy you just need money. But then again Delta just wants money too so maybe they would bend to a FF like you
AeRoSpaceman and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Remember that it is Saturday, so all kinds of schedule changes/updates and other weirdness could be happening!
TheHorta and Renes Points like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

OK, so it's Schedule-change Saturday and I'm not as important as I think I am.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
QAPLA'! (Success! in Klingon )
I have nothing useful to add except that it's Saturday when weirdness abounds on Delta anyway, plus it's the Saturday before Christmas.

I just wanted to say it's cool to see some Klingon on the board. ;-)
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most likely KLM released additional inventory or a new fare. If within free cancellation window (midnight day after) I'd call and rebook.
I called and got us rebooked, AND saved us a grand total of $35 -- Woot! Woot!

Now it's all KLM and we get TWO trips on The Queen of the Skies! B789 IAD>AMS>IAD and B744 AMS>NBO>AMS. Got 1A / 4A outbound, since it's a daytime flight, and 77A/B Upper Deck (!) return since it's a midnight flight and we'll likely sleep for most of the trip.

Schweet!

Thanks guys!
Renes Points and pauly_long like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I have nothing useful to add except that it's Saturday when weirdness abounds on Delta anyway, plus it's the Saturday before Christmas.

I just wanted to say it's cool to see some Klingon on the board. ;-)
I also see you now have 666 posts.

My suspicions about you have now been confirmed.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Now it's all KLM and we get TWO trips on The Queen of the Skies! B789 IAD>AMS>IAD and B744 AMS>NBO>AMS. Got 1A / 4A outbound, since it's a daytime flight, and 77A/B Upper Deck (!) return since it's a midnight flight and we'll likely sleep for most of the trip.

Schweet!

Thanks guys!
excellent results!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
Deleted
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Schweet!

Thanks guys!
Be aware that 1A/4A are reassignable for passengers with disabilities. If that happens you'll get whatever seat is still available .
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Be aware that 1A/4A are reassignable for passengers with disabilities. If that happens you'll get whatever seat is still available .
That's my flyerCO -- always a fun sponge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.