Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What time to go to airport when you know flight is delayed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time to go to airport when you know flight is delayed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you never miss a flight, you're spending too much of your life waiting in airports.
My goal is to get to the airport, get through security, get to the gate immediately as boarding begins and walk straight on the plane.
Amazingly I've only ever missed one flight in my life, though I've had many close calls.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
The good rule to follow is 90-minutes before your originally scheduled domestic flight.
You don't actually do this, do you?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by defrosted
No closure until we know what time OP went to the airport....
LOL. I did as people advised here and monitored the inbound aircraft. Incidentally, Delta sent me two subsequent messages, each pushing back the departure time slightly. On the second such message, announcing a 1:01 PM departure, it offered me the opportunity to change my flight at no charge. But none of the alternatives offered would have gotten me to Seattle prior to the delayed flight. One tempting option, just to do something fun, was an SNA-LAS-SEA routing that offered a 2-hour layover in LAS. Then there were a couple of crazy ones, including SNA-LAS-LAX-SEA, and I think there was another that was SNA-SLC-SFO-SEA. So had I wanted to, I could have done a "mileage run".

TO answer the question . . . I presented myself at the bag drop counter at about 11:40 AM, and all was well.
defrosted likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
By the way folks (OP here), thanks for all the replies. I am frankly pretty amazed that there is no consensus (even among road warriors) or policy as to what a passenger should do when informed of a delay prior to airport arrival. It would be nice if the airlines, when announcing a delay, would give some indication as to whether the delay is "confirmed" (i.e., departure will for sure be no earlier than __ o'clock") or merely "estimated".

One relevant experience I'll remember is about ten years ago, I was flying United at LAS. The plane was delayed (a delay that was announced after I arrived at the airport). I had some work to do so I planted myself at a nice work counter 3 gates down the concourse. I monitored the flight on the United website, and there were some subsequent extensions of the delay. About 25 minutes prior to the updated departure time according to the website, I walked down to the departure gate only to hear my name being announced as a "final call". The gate agent told me, "in this situation, never go by what's on the website". And then they closed the door 10 seconds after I walked aboard.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All this about barely a one hour delay? My rule is that if its an hour delay I proceed as normal, if we are talking about domestic flights into a place where the airline has a decent amount of traffic. If its a real outstation, the kind of place that has maybe 2-3 flights a day and they are spaced out, I would go with the new time, and check the inbound a/c to make sure. If its long haul international, and a thin route, i.e. one that goes once a day, I check the inbound aircraft and time myself to it, I of course am referring to the "foreign" end and not a US based hub.....
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
The problem is that if the delay is "fixed" and they board, you loose and don't have status for the next flight
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
The good rule to follow is 90-minutes before your originally scheduled domestic flight.

All this talk about outstations is nonsense. I experienced a plane swap at Cedar Rapids of all places where the pilot determined we were cancelling CID-DTW for mx. Then operations determined they were using that very aircraft to complete a CID-ATL, taking our aircraft, delaying us 6hrs, but pulling back the ATL delay. Complete shenanigans.

While the outstation aircraft swap is rare, it’s still possible, making it better to just sit at the airport vs sitting at home and missing a flight during holiday travel.
My point of view is that 90-minute before a scheduled domestic flight is nonsense. I target 60-minute which gives me time for a quick swing by the Skyclub to get a drink (coffee if early in the morning or a sparkling water or other drink if later in the day). Also, if the security line turns out to be slower, I can always skip the Skyclub and go straight to the gate.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by andrewk829
By the way folks (OP here), thanks for all the replies. I am frankly pretty amazed that there is no consensus (even among road warriors) or policy as to what a passenger should do when informed of a delay prior to airport arrival. It would be nice if the airlines, when announcing a delay, would give some indication as to whether the delay is "confirmed" (i.e., departure will for sure be no earlier than __ o'clock") or merely "estimated".

One relevant experience I'll remember is about ten years ago, I was flying United at LAS. The plane was delayed (a delay that was announced after I arrived at the airport). I had some work to do so I planted myself at a nice work counter 3 gates down the concourse. I monitored the flight on the United website, and there were some subsequent extensions of the delay. About 25 minutes prior to the updated departure time according to the website, I walked down to the departure gate only to hear my name being announced as a "final call". The gate agent told me, "in this situation, never go by what's on the website". And then they closed the door 10 seconds after I walked aboard.
So, is the moral of the story that going by the published delayed time all worked out fine? You didn't have to hang out the gate all the time and you made your flight totally fine
defrosted likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH, DL
Read all info on DELTA iphone app Departure screen

After my original flight was delayed by 13 hours, I was able to transfer to an earlier flight that was also delayed.

Had I only looked at the BOARDS info on the app screen on phone #1 (A) - I would have missed my flight., I believed the DEPARTS time
Interestingly phone #2 (B) had a different boarding time for the same flight even after refreshing both.

Below are side by side screen shots from each phone at (nearly) the same time for my flight.

Different boarding time for same flight on different phones

This might not be the best thread to post, but was the first I found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.