Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SKY CLUB Updates Coming not too soon to LAX T3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC

I noticed this sign at the LAX sky club today. Announcing a remodel / makeover some three years in advance (and probably longer because no construction project ever finishes on time).

It seems quite a bit unnecessarily early to announce.

Thoughts? Has anyone noticed a similarly long term announcement elsewhere?

Last edited by KenTarmac; Dec 13, 2018 at 7:54 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Which terminal was this in? I'm guessing #3 . Used Terminal 2 Sky Club on Friday (12/7) and didn't notice a sign.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
I noticed this sign at the LAX sky club today. Announcing a remodel / makeover some three years in advance (and probably longer because no construction project ever finishes on time) seems a bit unnecessary.

Thoughts? Has anyone noticed a similarly long term announcement elsewhere?
As some historical context, Delta recently moved into terminals 2 and 3 in LAX from T5 as part of a long term play to build their ideal terminal experience and get enough gates to expand. Unfortunately, this meant inheriting two buildings with serious structural and layout issues.

Delta fully recognizes the current experience is subpar (to put it nicely), and made a conscious decision to suffer in the short term for more benefits in the long term once they get their construction projects all completed. If you chat up any of the agents in LAX, they will freely acknowledge the shortcomings and will happily share some of the exciting details of what’s coming eventually.

Notably, Terminal 3 is getting demolished entirely in phases - the changes are that aggressive.

Signs like this one are intended to highlight short term progress - they converted a small additional area into a second temporary satellite club in T3 to relieve some of the crowding - while acknowledging they know things aren’t ideal until the full project is done in a few more years. It’s worth talking about because they want everyone to know a large project is underway with lots of intermediate progress coming online along the way.

Delta has made huge, huge improvements already since the first few days of the new terminal move; the concessions have improved significantly from what was essentially a 1980s mall Burger King, and the checkin areas are at least somewhat more functional. But until they can get out the wrecking balls, T3 in particular is still going to be rough for a while.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I'm guessing this is T3 as well, where DL is still undergoing years or renovations/work.

The SkyClub at T2 is newer and for PP holders, the Virgin club is available in the mornings as well in T2.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
+1

Also, this is to re-assure Delta Passengers that have noted the recently completed Terminal 1 construction efforts that Southwest has made directly next door. It is literally night and day as you enter the "horseshoe" at LAX.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
BenA, Thanks for the detailed answer.

Originally Posted by jalves
Which terminal was this in? I'm guessing #3 . Used Terminal 2 Sky Club on Friday (12/7) and didn't notice a sign.
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I'm guessing this is T3 as well, where DL is still undergoing years or renovations/work.

The SkyClub at T2 is newer and for PP holders, the Virgin club is available in the mornings as well in T2.
Yes, this is T3.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the 2021 date is discouraging.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
The real date is probably a secret due to OPSEC
Qwkynuf likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
This is better than announcing that it will be done next year, then taking three years to do it (from someone who still recalls the PHL club debacle).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
The real date is probably a secret due to OPSEC
It was! but I unearthed the secret! For T2 real date is 2023
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jeet
It was! but I unearthed the secret! For T2 real date is 2023
It makes the term "they died waiting" more literal than ever expected.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, the 2021 date is discouraging.
If I were to place a bet I would wager the over on 2021.

Credit to DL for planning ahead though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.