Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
My unpopular opinion is all planes should board from front-back. It will stop people in row 40 from sticking their bag in the first bin they see "just in case"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
They can call these zones anything they like and make them any colour they like like but unless the gate staff enforce the order properly - and that includes telling interlopers to go away until it is their turn AND not adding the groups together - it will make absolutely no difference at all.
Would that include the Platinum and Gold members who assume that "I must be important" so I will board with the First Class cabin no matter where I am sitting?

Another option would be to tell some their elite flyers "it's TWO carry-ons and ONE of them DOES go under the seat in front of you, your status did not entitle you to free carry-ons or to use all the overhead bin space"

Considering that I fly out of ATL where half of the plane is "Elite" I think it's hysterical that everyone assumes the rules don't apply to me. (Yes, I am sure that years ago you were Diamond, but that does not entitle you to board NOW as one man recently told me LOL!)

And the reason the gate agents don't turn people away is the DKYWIA outcry just delays boarding. I got yelled at once by a man who apparently thought that he should be FIRST on the plane in spite of the fact that he apparently had NO idea where his boarding pass was. He screamed at me and the gate agent about his status and whatever else he thought entitled him to hold up the entire boarding because he was totally disorganized LOL!

The outcry on here is because at least some of the posters trashing "gate lice" and complaining about Delta boarding are probably the one's who are at the airport going "the rules don't apply to me" or "well I KNOW that those people in front of me aren't really in first class" so I am sure I should board now. Hint when they say First Class or DM and you are Gold seating in row 24 they don't mean YOU! (yes, I have met you. There was the woman who SCREAMED at me "they are only boarding Business" on a flight to LHR, I smiled and said "I am in business, would you like to see my boarding pass" At least her husband looked mortified. There was the man who got on the plane and proceeded to quiz all the first class passengers as to "why are you sitting up here instead of me" LOL!) If Delta actually does start enforcement it will be fun watching grown men and women act like spoiled 2 year olds when told "please wait" (And I actually do see them ask people to wait quite often, but they never seem to do it with passengers with ANY status)
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LegalTender
...Biometric boarding is the only long-range remedy.
Can not agree with this at all.

Though the gate lice crowding at the gate is always an issue, the REAL delay is further down the jetway and the aisle. Biometric does not cut out one bit of that problem.

As to this new boarding - what a crock of $hit... same thing, just new names.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Also, why bother with having both Main Cabin 2 and 3? How are those two groups even separated. Like what even distinguishes whether a kettle pax is in group 2 or 3? Further, why does DL even bother? Is it just because Main Cabin 2 sometimes has overhead space and Main Cabin 3 doesn’t?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ryw
As others have said, this will likely put more stress on the main thing that holds up boarding - the number of people trying to use the aisle space at once. No amount of biometric scans or pillars will help if the line is backed up the jetway.

For non-frequent fliers, the addition of colors in a random order and (to some of them) strange sounding tier names probably makes the boarding process more confusing and stressful, not less. The lack of predictability in ordering for non frequent fliers will probably result in more gate crowding earlier as people don't want to "miss" their zone being called. A simple zone 1-9 or Southwest-like system is a lot easier to predict and lets people sit longer before lining up....
Yes, a simple and TRUE 1-9 makes way more sense. Who in their right mind thinks ZONE 1 is something other than the first zone.??? The current system just needs to get in a 1-9 order and not have all those crazy names. Think about it... if you are ZONE 2 today, you would reasonably think you are the 2nd group to board. No wonder there are so many gate lice.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Mostly, the only change here is demoting PM and GM, as wel as SkyTeam partner elites, in a scenario where they are already unhappy they didn’t get an upgrade to Comfort+. Combine that with the impending demotions next year with the loss of the Amex waiver, and it’s gonna be pretty ugly for a few weeks in February.

The only benefit I see to splitting off this boarding group is announcing Comfort+ at the gate as a marketing move, to folks whose opportunity to buy it on the current flight is already over. I don’t get what this accomplishes.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here we go:

Hey Honey, they started boarding and we are Main Cabin One - so we will be boarding first.
or
Hey Honey, we are Main Cabin Two so we are second to board. Get up there fast.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My personal takeaway from this is that it's the preamble to PMs losing their C+ at booking "upgrade" benefit, which jives with the new boarding position and DL's repeatedly stated goal of monetizing their seats to the n'th degree. Further supporting is the "new and improved" opportunity to use your miles for seat upgrades to C+ or F.

We will see...
Excellent point and quite possible!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Because it's pointless and at best slows boarding. That's why I'm riled up at least.
Completely agree that it is pointless. My energy for getting all riled up is better spent on things that aren't pointless though. Boarding is already a slow mess - realistically I don't see how this would slow the process down anymore. Boarding can only go as fast as the slowest person in the line and I just don't see how this will move any of the slowest pieces in the puzzle around. The C+ gate louse who stands in the aisle unpacking and repacking their suitcase and then spends 2 minutes pondering the ideal overhead bin spot, is still going to be at the front of the line in either case.

On a side note, I did witness someone board with 7 carryons this weekend. GA nicely asked the PAX to consolidate or check. The PAX immediately started making a scene and made it clear that things would escalate quickly if she had to check a bag and then actually tossed one of her items over the counter at the gate agent (and no that was not hyperbole - she really did toss an item over the counter at the gate agent). At that point the redcoat assisting with the flight stepped in and let her board the aircraft with her seven items, so as not to escalate the situation. I thought it was a huge risk allowing her to board with her attitude in the state it was in, but the flight made it without a diversion. If the GA ended up denying her and police were called, I would have supported the gate agents 100%. It was amazing how calm the GAs remained and that they continued to be nice to her even as she was screaming at them, and that after the situation was over, they kept working like nothing happened.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Angry Nope

This is a gigantic, unmitigated "F*ck You" to PMs. As a 100k mile/yr PM, who often buys ridiculously expensive last minute coach tickets (when there's no C+ left), and who has no problem making the MQDs each year, if Delta's new line is going to be "WC+BC+," well, ok. I will. But not consistently on Delta.

Now, in particular, Southwest and JetBlue become more attractive options for my last minute tickets.

And if there's basically no consistent benefit to being Platinum, the 20% of the time I buy F, from now on, I'll buy F solely on price and schedule, rather than staying loyal to Delta.

And when I have to travel with my family during the holidays, I'm sure as hell not going through Atlanta if there's a nonstop on another airline.

Why bother with a Platinum and Gold elite tier to your loyalty program if there's basically no benefit to it?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wrytoast
This is a gigantic, unmitigated "F*ck You" to PMs.
Having to board after the 20 people in C+ instead if with them is a "gigantic, unmitigated 'F*ck You'"?

Can you expand on this? I'm not seeing it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl

Also the bottom line reality here is Delta doesn't enforce any of this so it doesn't truly matter at all. They rarely enforce number of carry-on bags. They never enforce boarding zones unless someone comes up and asks 'do I board now?'
You just named that tune in 1
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The sky (priority) is falling! The sky (priority) is falling!
Lol! I am never going to fly Delta again!!! yeah yeah yeah
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:25 pm

Board the planes from back to front. Its normally elites holding up boarding with the incessant .....ing about not being upgraded or trying to stow their steamer trunk in the overhead bin.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: NW GE
The thing that would speed boarding more than anything else would be to make kettles on MC and everyone on BE fares pay for a roller bag. That would speed stowage of items, decrease gate checks, and decrease anxiety from everyone else about getting their roller bag in the bin. Remember the days when checked bags were free and your worry was whether your roller bag would be above your seat or 1-2 rows back not whether it would be in the cargo hold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.