Search
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rogo
Delta's gate agents are among the worst employees of the airline.

Rarely articulate. Often inaudible. Routinely incomprehensible.

Especially in SEA.
Yeah, I'm starting to get that impression.

I've had them before not even announce the later zones at all. People just spontaneously get up and start boarding.

No fancy new boarding procedure is going to be an improvement until they instill consistency and professionalism in the execution by gate agents. This is probably the company's weakest service area.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Yeah, I'm starting to get that impression.

I've had them before not even announce the later zones at all. People just spontaneously get up and start boarding.

No fancy new boarding procedure is going to be an improvement until they instill consistency and professionalism in the execution by gate agents. This is probably the company's weakest service area.
I'd rather see them put in self-scan gates, like at a subway station. That way if your zone isn't ready it rejects you outright. It would need a clear message so that people don't try 30 times thinking it's a scan error, but that is easily doable. Heck, anyone using a phone is already self-scanning in the presence of the gate agent anyway.
jaimemayo and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'd rather see them put in self-scan gates, like at a subway station. That way if your zone isn't ready it rejects you outright. It would need a clear message so that people don't try 30 times thinking it's a scan error, but that is easily doable. Heck, anyone using a phone is already self-scanning in the presence of the gate agent anyway.
While FTers would like this, there are practical issues that would prevent it from being realistic. Just starting with pre-boarders, this would become an issue unless the GA manually handles all those. Military boarding is another. Also, generally passengers on separate tickets will board together and board with the first zone eligible. And TBH as any such system would likely still have a GA override ability, most GAs are just going to use that for those boarding out of order and allow them to pass because it's quicker and less painful overall to do that than to have them continue to hold up the line.

While for passengers, it's not zero sum, for DL, the order in which passengers get on planes is zero-sum and it's why GAs probably don't spend much time enforcing boarding zones.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
While FTers would like this, there are practical issues that would prevent it from being realistic. Just starting with pre-boarders, this would become an issue unless the GA manually handles all those. Military boarding is another. Also, generally passengers on separate tickets will board together and board with the first zone eligible. And TBH as any such system would likely still have a GA override ability, most GAs are just going to use that for those boarding out of order and allow them to pass because it's quicker and less painful overall to do that than to have them continue to hold up the line.
I would think in my imagined situation there would be a gate agent managing the exception cases. And the 'quicker and less painful' comment of yours goes to the root of the problem now because that's why, if they're looking at all, they are letting it slide. Sort of like on Southwest when preboarders are allowed one fellow passenger, and I watched a family of three board (mom had a Cxx boarding group, too).
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sure, sounds good.

But, when people try to board out of order and keep fussing with the gate - it holds everything up.

And as mentioned, those in a group trying to board together.

Dealing with the public is always a challenger.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How about a horn blowing, followed by a loud voice saying, "You're out of order, m*****f****r! Get your ... to the end of the line!"
jaimemayo, strickerj and Psyduck1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by hotturnip
How about a horn blowing, followed by a loud voice saying, "You're out of order, m*****f****r! Get your ... to the end of the line!"
Not gonna happen, but I LOVE THIS. That speaker has to be loud and clear.

Still chuckling.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Not gonna happen, but I LOVE THIS. That speaker has to be loud and clear.

Still chuckling.
Louder and clearer than the gate agent PA system!

How about "Your boarding group has been downgraded to Basic Economy. Learn to queue next time!"
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
They are testing these at a few gates in the T concourse in ATL.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
I would think in my imagined situation there would be a gate agent managing the exception cases. And the 'quicker and less painful' comment of yours goes to the root of the problem now because that's why, if they're looking at all, they are letting it slide. Sort of like on Southwest when preboarders are allowed one fellow passenger, and I watched a family of three board (mom had a Cxx boarding group, too).
I think I saw this sort of setup on one of my overseas trips last year - I think it might have been ATH or possibly CDG. I can't recall. Anyway, it was subway-like gates and the passengers were split into assorted boarding groups. Someone was directing people into the proper lanes upon showing their BPs. For those who fit into the "pre-board" category, there was a side lane where they'd bypass the auto gates and a GA would take care of them manually before opening up the automated gates.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
The only way to eliminate gate lice would be some sort of guarantee that your rollerboard is not going to be gate checked. Make that an added fee or a perk of having status etc and then I will gladly board last and remain seated. But this will never happen therefore I’ll be crowding and fighting all the other lice to guarantee my overhead bin space.
dalehill and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:40 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Once at an outstation I was boarding Zone 1 but saw the person in front of me with a Zone 3 BP. I didn't say anything and when the person got to the front of the line and said a few words to the GA I overheard and realized that the GA had offered Zone 1 boarding for those (in zones 2/3/4) who gate checked their bags ahead of time. (I wasn't at the gate when that announcement was made).

Which is all to say thay sometimes there are legitimate exceptions (which might be made more difficult with automated boarding)
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by reimero
I think I saw this sort of setup on one of my overseas trips last year - I think it might have been ATH or possibly CDG. I can't recall. Anyway, it was subway-like gates and the passengers were split into assorted boarding groups. Someone was directing people into the proper lanes upon showing their BPs. For those who fit into the "pre-board" category, there was a side lane where they'd bypass the auto gates and a GA would take care of them manually before opening up the automated gates.
Yes, CDG and a few other European airports use gates like these.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Can anyone find the original announcement on DL.com anymore? I *think* the original December 11, 2018 press release has been deleted, which if confirmed might be an interesting development in the evolution of this particular concept.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mnbp
Can anyone find the original announcement on DL.com anymore? I *think* the original December 11, 2018 press release has been deleted, which if confirmed might be an interesting development in the evolution of this particular concept.
Still seeing it: https://news.delta.com/boarding-simp...tte-tie-it-all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.