Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Miles to upgrade your seat at delta.com after booking a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles to upgrade your seat at delta.com after booking a flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
When you go to purchase now it gives you the option similar to when you purchase the ticket where oyu can swap between miles and currency

But I've had offers pop up in my reservation, post-purchase, to upgrade with miles or currency, just like it does during the purchase process. It seems to have been selective, and now maybe it will always be offered.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
you can actually do it now don't have to wait till 2019

I didn;t screen shot it but yesterday

ORD to JFK
C+ was 43 dollars or 3900 miles
1st was 138 dollars or 12900 miles.
Had the option for 2 days. Guess they were in beta.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
How is this new? I've seen this option in reservations post purchase on and off for the past couple of years. It was just not always offered.
You've seen FCM offers *paid in miles* on a cash ticket?

EDIT: oops, hadn't finished the whole thread. I see your second post now. Were you maybe seeing Upgrade With Miles? Granted that is essentially the same idea as this, but UWM I think is a strict 1 cpm while this appears not to be?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
You've seen FCM offers *paid in miles* on a cash ticket?

EDIT: oops, hadn't finished the whole thread. I see your second post now. Were you maybe seeing Upgrade With Miles? Granted that is essentially the same idea as this, but UWM I think is a strict 1 cpm while this appears not to be?

Yes, UWM. What is this? This is not Mileage Upgrade Awards, so isn't it UWM? Or is there now a 3rd way to upgrade with miles?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
/
Originally Posted by manually
Doesn't this sound more like FCM? Fewer upgrades will be available for elite members.
DL recently told investors how maybe 60% (IIRC) of F seats were purchased. It's only going to get worse.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
/

DL recently told investors how maybe 60% (IIRC) of F seats were purchased. It's only going to get worse.

I have really appreciated having reasonably priced F seats on certain routes. Much better than the upgrade game and domestic F tickets that are priced at stupidly high levels that most people would never buy.
bubbashow likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:19 pm

OK, I just took at a look at the new T&C's on Delta.com and I really think this is bad news for a couple reasons:

So they seem to have created this third way of upgrading that is a Upgrade With Miles option for after booking. I agree with others that this appears to just be an extension of 0.01/mile pay with miles type upgrade. However, because they are pushing this so hard, it's going to drive more people away from the classic Mileage Upgrade Awards, which you still need to call reservations for. These fixed amount upgrades (based on regions of travel) are usually a better value than $0.01/mile and it seems like they are hiding it even more. Are they eventually going to do away with Mileage Upgrade Awards? Or do they still have them because of partner agreements and they are just trying to hide them and drive us all towards these bad deal online options?

Secondly, I noticed this new gem:

"​​​​​​Upgrades purchased with miles on delta.com after booking are non-refundable and non-changeable. If you voluntarily change your flight, your upgrade will not be applied to your new reservation. Prices vary by market and are subject to change without notice. Will not be available for all flights."

Huh?? So you spend, let's say, 40K miles to upgrade your flight and then if you call in a make a chance, including paying a change fee, you loose your upgrade AND the miles?? That's crap. If you are paying a change fee it should certainly cover the redeposit if the upgrade can't be transferred, or if the upgrade is available but costs more miles, you should be able to just pay the difference.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's absurd.
Do the upgrade with cash options have that language? That's usually a buy-up to the first class fare, right? So it would be changeable for a fee, or certainly you could SDC or standby into the FC cabin on a different flight.
Making it non-changeable and non-refundable if you use miles is almost a complete nonstarter.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
That's absurd.
Do the upgrade with cash options have that language? That's usually a buy-up to the first class fare, right? So it would be changeable for a fee, or certainly you could SDC or standby into the FC cabin on a different flight.
Making it non-changeable and non-refundable if you use miles is almost a complete nonstarter.

No, cash upgrades do not have this language, because you are buying up to an actual first class fare. I also don't understand why they would do this because it seems to be that they will be turning away change fee revenue.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No, cash upgrades do not have this language, because you are buying up to an actual first class fare. I also don't understand why they would do this because it seems to be that they will be turning away change fee revenue.
But similarly, you are "buying" up to the first class with miles.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I'm not sure about that. I upgraded with cash to PS and ended up not taking that flight. The upgrade amount was lost in its entirety.
Of course, should Delta have been responsible I would have expected a full refund, or keeping the upgraded cabin on the replacement flight. But in case the passenger chooses to change/cancel I think the upgrade is lost and not refunded.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

So I just used this because it was a decent offer--7900 miles each way.

However, after booking I quickly realized that I should have just booked first class from the start and then used pay with miles to take $100 off for 10,000 miles which brought the F ticket down to the price of the C+ ticket that I had first purchased, so it would cost 10,000 miles instead of 16K r/t . So I called DL and asked if the miles I had used to upgrade could be redeposited in the 24 hour cancellation window. The agent said yes, of course.

Well, she tried and then said "uh-oh, the miles did not redeposit." After she spoke with three difference supervisors (15 minutes later) she came back on and said "sir, it seems those miles are stuck somewhere in cyber space, thanks for your patience we're working on this and we're not sure what happened." After 20 minutes she came back on and said "sir, we don't know what happened, if you trust me to follow up on this I can let you go, and I'll call you if there's a problem" So I hung up, which I may regret, but by her accent she sounded like she was in Chisholm so...hopefully that was not a big mistake.

Anyways, moral of the story: these mileage offers are really really not refundable. I think the phone agent did not even fully realize this. But I really think that they should at least be refundable in the 24 hour window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.