Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Miles to upgrade your seat at delta.com after booking a flight

Old Dec 10, 18, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM

Got this email today! Starting in 2019, you can upgrade with miles right on delta.com AFTER the purchase of a ticket.

New and Easier Way for Members to Use Miles to Upgrade Their Seat Now Available

It’s here! You can now use miles to upgrade your seat at delta.com after booking a flight, making it easier than ever before to treat yourself to that upgrade without having to call Reservations.

Here’s how to upgrade with miles on a flight you’ve already booked:
  1. Find your reservation in My Trips at delta.com
  2. If an upgrade with miles is available for your flight, you’ll see a banner above your flight information showing the price to upgrade
  3. Select the button next to the price in miles
  4. Click ‘Select Seats’ to be taken to the seat map and confirm your upgrade
Be on the lookout for more new ways to use your miles coming in 2019, including being able to upgrade your seat with miles in the Fly Delta app.

I guess that will allow folks to burn a few 100 thousand sky pesos without ever have to talk to a person
Old Dec 10, 18, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Hopefully, a change for the best. My mileage upgrade awards over the phone experience has been inconsistent at best.
If upgrades on other airlines' metal are included that would be truly great, since now there is no other option than call repeatedly.
Old Dec 10, 18, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM
But I have a feeling these are going to be no different than 'upgrade with miles' option that you get during initial purchase time, where difference in fare is charged at 1 mile per cent Not very good for any international upgrades.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by arunhn; Dec 10, 18 at 4:49 pm Reason: typo fix
Old Dec 10, 18, 4:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Wyndham DM, Choice lost me, BW only at one specific property,DL nobody (I'd rather drive)

It's already live I think. It is for me anyhow. I bought the ride up front for 4 segments w/ miles at time of purchase, now it's trying to get me buy C+ on the CRJ leg(s)

It's rare that I'm on cheaper fares booked a week in advance like this one, and have rarely seen mileage upgrade availability even on some of the higher fares. Was actually surprised to see it offered now.

Last edited by Cyberian; Dec 10, 18 at 5:04 pm
Old Dec 11, 18, 4:29 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
How is this suppose to work if you can't see the front of the plane (only the main cabin) on the seatmap ?
Old Dec 11, 18, 4:35 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
How is this suppose to work if you can't see the front of the plane (only the main cabin) on the seatmap ?
See the "Select Seats" box above? When you click on that it will show a seat map with the available seats in the upgraded cabin which you can select from.
Old Dec 11, 18, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Doesn't this sound more like FCM? Fewer upgrades will be available for elite members.
audidudi and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by manually View Post
Doesn't this sound more like FCM? Fewer upgrades will be available for elite members.
It seems like it, but with the ridiculous miles required for an upgrade I don't see too many seats being lost.
Old Dec 11, 18, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Its just an alternative option to pay with miles for the upgrade at 1c/mi. Nice to have it offered but its still poor value.

I'd rather see the ability to use and place waitlist requests for upgrade certs online.
Old Dec 11, 18, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
At least recently, I've been able to see all cabins. When I hover over a higher cabin (C+ or F), it shows me the price (in $ only) to upgrade.

The $0.01/mile to "pay" for the upgrade has also been around for a while, although I'm not sure it's always been available. I want to say it was only available during the booking process, so maybe now it's available anytime.

But since there's no award chart for "real" mileage upgrades, I'm skeptical that this feature really means anything new. Presumably mileage upgrade awards didn't give much more than $0.01/mile of value anyway...
Old Dec 11, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
This "enhancement" is based on "customer feedback"

Yes, give me a lower redemption rate... but hey, no blackout dates!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Maybe it does not apply to bookings already in place ?
On my seatmap I see the usual grayed out other cabins, although phone app tells me there are 5 seats available for upgrade in F (the regular upgrades).

Consensus here seems to be these are not the "mileage upgrade awards", but selling upgrades at $0.01/RDM. Do they come out of the same buckets, though ?
Old Dec 11, 18, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
you can actually do it now don't have to wait till 2019

I didn;t screen shot it but yesterday

ORD to JFK
C+ was 43 dollars or 3900 miles
1st was 138 dollars or 12900 miles.

Last edited by HWGeeks; Dec 11, 18 at 6:30 pm
Old Dec 11, 18, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
How is this new? I've seen this option in reservations post purchase on and off for the past couple of years. It was just not always offered.
Old Dec 11, 18, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
When you go to purchase now it gives you the option similar to when you purchase the ticket where oyu can swap between miles and currency

Search this Thread
Search Engine: