Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Where best to credit, if i cant credit to DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

Hey all-

So I am trying not to put any more ticket spend in to maximize my rollover for next year, but just got a last min work trip, its a $3500 flight so if i credited it to DL, id hose my rollover. I was thinking id just not put in my skymiles # and go, but thats a lot of miles and such left on the table, what would everyone recommend doing as far as how/where to credit it otherwise? I could sign up for Virgin, KLM, etc...credit there?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
You get a decent number of redeemable miles for KLM/Flying Blue if you're booked into a higher fare bucket, and crediting to FB while on Delta metal gets you redeemables based on distance flown. The down side is that they've got a fairly quick expiration date so you need to continue to credit to FB once or twice a year to keep those miles alive. FB is lousy in terms of elite qualification if you're USA-based, but if you've already got ST status with another partner that's not much of a problem (exception- FB native status is needed to redeem for first class on Air France)

FB has a lot of credit card transfer partners and their promo awards often get you a good deal if you can be flexible enough to take advantage of them. but again the non-flight points have a two year expiration timeline if you don't earn or burn them, and non-flight miles are on a different expiration clock than flight-earned miles are so you have to check your account for that on a regular basis so you can feed it and not lose the miles.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I’d pick an airline you have a chance of using the miles for an upgrade on, and ideally one you can also transfer credit card miles to so you can top up for a reward.

TATL, Virgin Atlantic would be a good choice. High business fares earn 400% miles, which is pretty great, and upgrades on their flights are a nice value from premium economy.

TPAC, I’d probably go Korean Air; the earnings are lower, but the miles are pretty useful. They are one of the few SkyTeam airlines with an international first class worth redeeming for, and they have credit card transfer partners.

Booking class and mileage distance of flight would help us guide you more precisely; money is irrelevant when crediting DL flights to partners.

I would probably steer far away from FlyingBlue (AF/KL); their new program is pretty stingy all around, as I understand it...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Hmm. Its TATL coach (H fare) MSP-LHR, so not much in terms of bonus business earnings. I never fly anything other then DL so odds are if i did FB they would expire.....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
VS is probably your best bet since you can transfer from AMEX and Chase to top up (or Marriott/SPG I believe).

KE is a good option but you won't get enough miles from one flight and it's no longer a Chase partner so you'd either have to transfer Marriott/SPG or be stuck with nothing
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Registering for VS now! So bummed i cant jsut credit to DL without killing my rollover So many RDM just sitting there....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

One last question, does it make more sense to book through VS and credit to VS, operated on DL metal? Or book through DL and credit to VS, does it matter?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If/when winter weather is possible, I've had enough good IRROPS experiences with Delta's customer service and app rebooking options I'd probably want to have them handling that ticket.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If/when winter weather is possible, I've had enough good IRROPS experiences with Delta's customer service and app rebooking options I'd probably want to have them handling that ticket.
Good point, thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Rollover MQM is a great benefit, but I really really wish they would rollover MQD too. I am "giving up" over $5k in MQD in 2018 over DM levels
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:35 pm

Could you make a new Skymiles account and put the miles there. In the future when you are short of miles transfer them over?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DTWSam
Could you make a new Skymiles account and put the miles there. In the future when you are short of miles transfer them over?
I kinda doubt it....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DTWSam
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I kinda doubt it....
Only if OP wants to have their current DL account closed, shut down, and status revoked.

Duplicate accounts is a quick way to finding yourself a new airline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.