Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Distance Out vs back

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Distance Out vs back

Seems like these two numbers to should be the same. Looking at several mileage calculation sites I get between 731 and 733. Other then some earned points it doesn't matter but I am having a hard time understanding how the Delta system can list different distances based on direction. Thanks for letting vent my first world problems....

LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe the airport is moving over the weekend?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Maybe there's an earthquake planned for next weekend.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Longtime issue. They apparently pull the mileage in the flight info section from a separate database than what's used to credit the flights. The mileage calculator shows the correct number in both directions (733 miles).

Discrepancy between miles flown and base miles which calculate MQM's posted

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 9, 2018 at 2:49 am
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by LBJ
Longtime issue. They apparently pull the mileage in the flight info section from a separate database than what's used to credit the flights.
How does that make sense of the OP's question? The outbound and return are different. He even circled the problem.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
How does that make sense of the OP's question? The outbound and return are different. He even circled the problem.
Yeah, I get it. Just pointing out that the flight info mileage information has long had consistency issues and the above is one more example of it. Fortunately, they do not seem to use this database when crediting MQM's for flights.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Maybe Al Capone is on the return flight and, umm, "convinced" DL to give him extra miles for it?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

I just noticed the same thing on MY ATL LHR flights, out on Delta return is Virgin, unsure if it is the difference in airlines or the routes they use. I will look on some of my history since I do this route semi frequently.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replys. I even did a search of the topic thinking this was not new but missed that thread. I guess next time my checked bag is 51 pounds I’ll tell the agent it’s “a know issue” and we all have them.
davetravels and CPMaverick like this.

Last edited by john c wisconsin; Dec 9, 2018 at 8:52 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Could it have something to do with the actual route, I am no pilot but if they are scheduled to fly a different route it could add more miles, I mean westbound flights are longer time wise, could they take a physically longer route to make up some time? No different than I take a longer drive to the airport so I can drive 70mph vs a shorter distance at 45mph?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defrosted
Could it have something to do with the actual route, I am no pilot but if they are scheduled to fly a different route it could add more miles, I mean westbound flights are longer time wise, could they take a physically longer route to make up some time? No different than I take a longer drive to the airport so I can drive 70mph vs a shorter distance at 45mph?
Wouldn't it be nice to get credit for actual miles the flight plan took! If you had to avoid weather, got put in a holding pattern or just got routed the long way. The first points program that can offer that would get my attention.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by john c wisconsin
Wouldn't it be nice to get credit for actual miles the flight plan took! If you had to avoid weather, got put in a holding pattern or just got routed the long way. The first points program that can offer that would get my attention.
Ha- that would be nice, but as someone mentioned before milage earn is not the same as mileage flown. I figured, like time, they are showing the planned miles which is not related to what you earn. I thought they changed the mileage earned to be based on fare price anyway?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
[JOKE] Eastbound versus westbound? Well, for westbound flights, don't planes just go up in the sky and wait for the earth to rotate so that where they want to land is right underneath the aircraft? Conversely, most eastbound flights race to chase the earth as it rotates and they can only land after they more that catch up. So of course eastbound flights should earn more miles. [/JOKE]
CarmenOM and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[JOKE] Eastbound versus westbound? Well, for westbound flights, don't planes just go up in the sky and wait for the earth to rotate so that where they want to land is right underneath the aircraft? Conversely, most eastbound flights race to chase the earth as it rotates and they can only land after they more that catch up. So of course eastbound flights should earn more miles. [/JOKE]
If a plane was trying to takeoff on a treadmill going west that was programmed to match the speed of the wheels versus a treadmill with the same programming but going east, would it make a difference in whether the plane is able to takeoff?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

If a plane was trying to takeoff on a treadmill going west that was programmed to match the speed of the wheels versus a treadmill with the same programming but going east, would it make a difference in whether the plane is able to takeoff?
It would depend on whether the treadmill is turning clockwise or counterclockwise.

However, taking off from a treadmill requires either some additional dimensions or that the treadmill be a Mbius strip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.