Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why was I upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Why was I upgraded?

My husband and I are flying on Delta 2189 from PDX to HNL on December 25th. We are both gold medallion and were upgraded to first this week, about four weeks before the flight date. While I’m very happy to be upgraded, I’m having trouble explaining why.

For what it’s worth, the flight was booked as an economy award using flying blue miles.

In addition, the standby list for the flight indicates there are 55 seats open. However, the flight is showing as sold out in coach - the only seats available for sale are in first.

Does anyone have any insight into why we were upgraded?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Well, it is almost certainly just schedule change Saturday and, as such, your reservation is getting mucked with as part of a schedule change (cancellations and equipment swaps are common on December 25th). I would wait until tomorrow before getting too excited.

In terms of upgrades.. while unlikely, it is possible that there was a plane swap that reduced the number of available economy seats but there was still F availability. I am not sure what this would be (it would need to be a swap from a 757 or 767.. but it looks like all other flights on this route are 737s as well.. maybe they did a mass swap?). Delta may have taken the highest status passengers and put them into F to clear up space in Y. That seems unlikely on this flight (especially since there are seats open, although a lot of folks may be on E). But who knows.

My bet is on schedule change Saturday. Give it some time..
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by ethernal
Well, it is almost certainly just schedule change Saturday and, as such, your reservation is getting mucked with as part of a schedule change (cancellations and equipment swaps are common on December 25th). I would wait until tomorrow before getting too excited.

In terms of upgrades.. while unlikely, it is possible that there was a plane swap that reduced the number of available economy seats but there was still F availability. I am not sure what this would be (it would need to be a swap from a 757 or 767.. but it looks like all other flights on this route are 737s as well.. maybe they did a mass swap?). Delta may have taken the highest status passengers and put them into F to clear up space in Y. That seems unlikely on this flight (especially since there are seats open, although a lot of folks may be on E). But who knows.

My bet is on schedule change Saturday. Give it some time..
Thanks for the insight. To add more context - I noticed the upgrade this past Wednesday, Nov. 28. At that time I noticed one coach seat was being sold for the low price of $1698. This flight had been marked as sold out in coach for about three weeks before this single seat popped up. Now it is sold out in coach once again.

Ive been expecting a cancellation or schedule change due to the strange dynamics, but wasn’t expecting the upgrade. I think you’re right to not get “too excited” yet.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bretmd

Thanks for the insight. To add more context - I noticed the upgrade this past Wednesday, Nov. 28. At that time I noticed one coach seat was being sold for the low price of $1698. This flight had been marked as sold out in coach for about three weeks before this single seat popped up. Now it is sold out in coach once again.

Ive been expecting a cancellation or schedule change due to the strange dynamics, but wasn’t expecting the upgrade. I think you’re right to not get “too excited” yet.
Do you recall what plane it was when you booked it? Was it a 757? This is right on the edge of what is doable for a 739 with winter headwinds so wouldn't surprise me if they originally planned this with a 757.

What is your current fare class showing? Is it RU or is it showing as an actual F fare class?

I agree that odd behavior like this can be a precursor to a cancellation. With that said, it is very late in the game for Delta to be cancelling flights (holiday cullings usually happen at least three months in advance). In addition, this is a special route that appears to be set up specifically for the holidays, so it would seem odd for them to cancel it.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

My recollection is that this flight has been consistently scheduled as a 737-900, but it’s possible I missed something. The fare class is being shown as RU.

Perhaps they are restricting selling out the plane due to range and headwinds, and bumped us to first to sell more coach seats?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd assume it to be a mistake which DL will correct unless you see that your ticket has been reissued.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Perhaps they are restricting selling out the plane due to range and headwinds, and bumped us to first to sell more coach seats?
​​​​​​They don't need to do that this far out, they'd just happily keep selling coach seats without seat assignments up to whatever limit RM forecasting indicates, and resolve with op-ups/VDB as necessary on day of travel.

Put me in the "some kind of glitch/Saturday Schedule Shenanigans" camp. I assume it will sort itself out, but if it sticks, enjoy!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Has it been reticketed in F or no? Check the receipt.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Has it been reticketed in F or no? Check the receipt.
It has not been reticketed. It shows as an upgrade (RU class).

Thanks everyone - I’ll expect it to change back to the main cabin at some point.

Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

In addition, the standby list for the flight indicates there are 55 seats open. However, the flight is showing as sold out in coach - the only seats available for sale are in first.

Where are you seeing a standby list? I though you could only see a standby list after checking in, at T-24.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
I've had this happen once or twice before as a PM. Booked a ticket almost two weeks out and got instantly upgraded to First (RU) at the time of ticketing. I actually got two "Upgrade" emails, one for C+ and one for F. Must be some weird automation with inventory control. Just speculation?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Where are you seeing a standby list? I though you could only see a standby list after checking in, at T-24.
There is a button in the app to show the upgrade/standby lists. It only populates with names after you check in, but even outside T-24 it shows the number of "seats available" subject to the usual FT caveat about available vs unassigned.

Originally Posted by av8rsamr
I've had this happen once or twice before as a PM. Booked a ticket almost two weeks out and got instantly upgraded to First (RU) at the time of ticketing. I actually got two "Upgrade" emails, one for C+ and one for F. Must be some weird automation with inventory control. Just speculation?
I wonder if there are still vestiges of the old instant Y-fare upgrade code lurking around in DL's systems and some other bug or quirk is triggering that code.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
When you click on the “upgrade/standby list” option on the app, it displays the number of open seats in first, c+, and the entire plane. There is no actual list yet, since it’s so far out.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:50 pm

When you click on the “upgrade/standby list” option on the app, it displays the number of open seats in first, c+, and the entire plane. There is no actual list yet, since it’s so far out.
But remember, that number only shows seats which are not assigned to passengers yet - not seats that available for sale. This could include both Basic Economy passengers and people who have a confirmed ticket but haven't selected a seat for whatever reason. The only ways that I know of to see is a cabin is actually sold out would be either via an Expert Flyer subscription (which I don't have) or by attempting a "dummy booking" on the flight on delta.com. If Delta's not willing to sell you a ticket, there is a pretty good chance it's sold out.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
At least you were upgraded? On our most recent pair of flights, we were upgraded to Comfort on one leg, nothing on the rest. And yet my other half - Silver Medallion - was showing ahead of me - Gold Medallion who booked the flights - on the upgrade list when it became available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.