Wiki Posts
Search

Is this enough MQD? (2018 Plat)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Is this enough MQD? (2018 Plat)

According to my Summary, I have 1645$ to go until PM. Every time I check my results of past flights it always seems like less MDQ are earned. From what I have gathered, it is because gov fees and taxes are not included.

Here is what I have booked for the remainder of the year. Will I make it?

Trip to SJU (with a companion)
Base Fare:$654.00USD

Total Per Passenger:$719.80USDTotal (2 Passengers)$1,439.60USD

Business Trip to MSP
Air Transportation ChargesBase Fare:$483.72USD
Total Price:$557.00USD

My current guess is no (I think my Companion purchase does not count), so I will be short by about 518$ and need to book a MR (and quickly).

Last edited by cytog64; Nov 27, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: bad math, again
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
My quick math says you won't make it, but the numbers are slightly off. Base fare and Delta-imposed fees count, but taxes, airport fees and government fees do not. Without knowing those specific costs, I can't give you an actual qualification number (it could be as low as $400) but to be safe, go with the $434.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reimero
My quick math says you won't make it, but the numbers are slightly off. Base fare and Delta-imposed fees count, but taxes, airport fees and government fees do not. Without knowing those specific costs, I can't give you an actual qualification number (it could be as low as $400) but to be safe, go with the $434.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm currently looking at a late Dec (27-29) SNA to DEN around 450$ with a side bonus of visiting my stepbrother.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You only earn MQD for tickets you fly, not for other people's tickets regardless of if you pay for it.

Best bet is to either take a quick MR or do a cheap FCM upgrade to F. Note this must be purchased before checkin, in order for the upgrade $ to count as MQD.

Pull up the reservations online at delta.com It'll give you a price to upgrade in $ and miles usually. Only the $ option counts for MQD. You can also pull up the seatmap and select a seat in F. It'll tell you what the price is to upgrade just that segment. If all the offers are bad, call in they can come up with an offer. Finally, keep going back to look, the offers amount can change each time you look (and can disappear one look and reappear seconds later if you pull it up again)
cytog64 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do not receive MQD credit for your companion's ticket. MQD credit always goes to each individual flyer's Skymiles account, not the purchaser's account. Also, you can't add your Skymiles number to another passenger's ticket (DL will not give credit if the name on the Skymiles account does not match the name on the ticket).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume that you didn't spend $25,000 this year on DL AmEx cards?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we assume that you didn't spend $25,000 this year on DL AmEx cards?
Only made it to 7k...for the last few years, I had been paying my CA rent with payment services such as RentPay and easily making the threshold. When Delta announced that DM would no longer be granted I moved my spending to my United and American Airlines cards. I was honestly going to let my status die this year until last week when my manager informed me that I will likely be traveling on some painfully long flights next year. For me, PM makes it all a little more bearable.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:15 am

With those base fares, it appears you will be $507 short. Looks like you will probably need a trip in the ballpark of $600 to requalify.
cytog64 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cytog64
Only made it to 7k...for the last few years, I had been paying my CA rent with payment services such as RentPay and easily making the threshold. When Delta announced that DM would no longer be granted I moved my spending to my United and American Airlines cards. I was honestly going to let my status die this year until last week when my manager informed me that I will likely be traveling on some painfully long flights next year. For me, PM makes it all a little more bearable.
I think you can look forward to a fun little weekend trip, maybe in FC, between now and Christmas to get those MQDs.
cytog64 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think you can look forward to a fun little weekend trip, maybe in FC, between now and Christmas to get those MQDs.

Could someone please explain what "CA rent," FC, DM, and PM mean? I understand MQD and MQM, and recognize a few of the fare classes, but those four are new to me.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by randysea
Could someone please explain what "CA rent," FC, DM, and PM mean? I understand MQD and MQM, and recognize a few of the fare classes, but those four are new to me.
I think CA rent is actually OP's rent in California (OP indicates his/her home airport is SNA).
FC: First class
DM: Diamond medallion
PM: Platinum medallion

In case you delve further into the Delta forum, you'll see
SM: Silver medallion, also known as FO (Flying orchid)
GM: Gold medallion

Finally, here is the Delta forum glossary:
The Delta Forum Glossary

Last edited by daloosh; Nov 27, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:55 am

FC = (domestic) first class

DM = Diamond Medallion
PM = Platinum Medallion

I assume CA rent means apartment rent somewhere in California.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.