Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best way to fly to BKK comfortably and affordably???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to fly to BKK comfortably and affordably???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA SKYMILES
Smile Best way to fly to BKK comfortably and affordably???

I would appreciate anyone that has more expertise to help me out, I am planning a surprise trip for my parents to Thailand for their 45 year anniversary gift....on short notice....from anywhere in the U.S. (I can get them to departure city with my miles) - destination BKK (Thailand) on business class, preferably a flat bed...they have always wanted to go there and they so much deserve it! Any and all help would be so much appreciated!!! Looking it up some of the prices were outrageous and I know it can be done for less....thanks in advance!!!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:57 pm

I've been doing a lot of searching for cheap(er) lie flat seats to Asia, and pretty consistently, the lowest prices seem to pop up from Vancouver, and not the US. Can your miles get your parents there? Not sure why that's the case, but it is.

ETA: I use Google flights to find the best deal. Not sure what you mean by last minute, but flights in December can be had in the $2500-2600 range round trip from Vancouver, which I don't think sounds bad at all for a lie flat seat to Asia. In contrast, cheapest flights from Seattle and San Francisco are about $1000 more.
DPOPE74 likes this.

Last edited by mnflyer58; Nov 26, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Without more detail, all I can say is that you can usually find business class tickets from the West Coast to BKK for as little as $2500-3000 with reasonable 1 stop connections if you're willing to fly a non-US carrier with flexible dates. Pick competitive hub airports (e.g., LAX, SFO, or even NYC airports if you're East Coast based).

Here's an example on China Eastern with one stops (there's a 4 hour hop that is more like Domestic First, but the long haul are comfortable lie flats but with medicore service) for $2400: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...13*.USD.241392 (edit: just saw this was their A330 and not 777 so the seats are not very good; there's some Air China options that are $3000 with better seats).
wxman22 and DPOPE74 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
A good site to use is awardhacker.com . What dates are you looking for? Do you have any Amex/Citi/Chase points? Some programs open up saver space at the last minute, for instance using Flying Blue or Virgin Atlantic miles within 2 weeks on Delta medal might get you a better deal than through delta themselves. Also I suggest using Google flights if you're looking for deals on revenue fares. They have a map based search that you can find out which US city has the cheapest airfare to BKK.
DPOPE74 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

I noticed that as well, more so it was YVR-SEA-ICN-BKK, I appreciate your response, and will keep eye out...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by DPOPE74
I noticed that as well, more so it was YVR-SEA-ICN-BKK, I appreciate your response, and will keep eye out...

I would looks for one stop options - especially if you are already re-positioning your parents to take the first leg (meaning it will be two stops minimum already). In my opinion it's not worth saving $200-300 dollars to add an extra stop if you're trying to make it a luxury / easy / comfortable trip. This is especially true for Vancouver if you then have to re-connect in the US given that they'll have to go through customs multiple times (entrance to Canada and then pre-clearance back to the US).
CPMaverick and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you buy today, SQ has a black friday sale from SFO or LAX for $3190, $3390 from NYC.

It's not a great fare, but it's quite a bit cheaper than usual.
hi55us and DPOPE74 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:25 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've been watching China Eastern seats out of LAX with a 2 hour layover in PVG then on to BKK. $2,400 RT on the 777 with lay flat and 1-2-1 cabin.
DPOPE74 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Tomphot - Thanks for that information, is the second leg PVG to BKK on the 777 as well? that is a great price either way, best I was able to see is $2900 but a 4 and 5 hour layover
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Tomphot - Thanks for that information, is the second leg PVG to BKK on the 777 as well? that is a great price either way, best I was able to see is $2900 but a 4 and 5 hour layover
You need to check the individual flights. MU frequently flies a narrowbody with recliners on PVG-BKK (and they're prone to swap those in, even if you've originally booked on a widebody). That's going to be pretty uncomfortable after a 14 hour TPAC.

For some reason, I've always had difficulty putting together an MU itinerary to BKK that didn't involve either a very long layover or two stops in one direction.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:02 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
the flights change by the day of the week. I’m going to book a 12:05 AM departure - IMO, perfect for getting on and to bed. Second flight then lands about noon. The short flight isn’t a lay flat. I’m looking at Jan so short term might be more $$
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
If you can possibly afford it, business class on SQ is a truly luxurious experience.
if you parents are, presumably in their late 60s, and are not frequent world travelers, transfers in ICN or HKG are much less stressful than in PVG.

I’m a fairly frequent visitor to BKK (probably 25+ times)...currently leaving for there from NY next Wednesday. We are taking an absolutely insane itinerary, but that has more to do with it being a mileage run-and we know what we’re getting into. I completely agree that adding additional stops for those who are not familiar with Asia’s airports is probably not a great idea.If you’d like some other suggestions (pluses and minuses of various places to stay, etc.) feel free to private message me.
DPOPE74 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Here's an example on China Eastern with one stops (there's a 4 hour hop that is more like Domestic First, but the long haul are comfortable lie flats but with medicore service) for $2400: https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...13*.USD.241392 (edit: just saw this was their A330 and not 777 so the seats are not very good; there's some Air China options that are $3000 with better seats).
I'm not super familiar with MU, and I can't speak to the entire airline, but when I flew them from YVR-PVG the business class seats were lie flat suites, akin to the Air Canada dreamliner seats. I'm not sure the make/model exactly of the seats, but they looked pretty good and that was on the 330. Just not sure if all their aircrafts are configured with those or not. FWIW the economy seating was just fine too, the worst parts about MU are the service (which is fine, just not geared towards non-Chinese travelers) and the food which again isn't really geared to anyone other than Chinese passengers.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm not super familiar with MU, and I can't speak to the entire airline, but when I flew them from YVR-PVG the business class seats were lie flat suites, akin to the Air Canada dreamliner seats. I'm not sure the make/model exactly of the seats, but they looked pretty good and that was on the 330. Just not sure if all their aircrafts are configured with those or not. FWIW the economy seating was just fine too, the worst parts about MU are the service (which is fine, just not geared towards non-Chinese travelers) and the food which again isn't really geared to anyone other than Chinese passengers.
I am not an MU expert so not sure of what routes use which planes but most of their A330 seat configurations appear to be angled 6-abreast lie flats. Only one version of the A332 has the "good seats".you reference. If it's a far out booking there's a risk that the seat map is subject to change. Someone with more experience flying MU will have to chime in. It may be a fair assumption to guess that MU will prioritize their higher quality seats to CN-US traffic under the guise that it is generally higher yield than intra-Asia traffic (although in recent years with the TPAC glut this may no longer be the case).
DPOPE74 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
the worst parts about MU are the service (which is fine, just not geared towards non-Chinese travelers) and the food which again isn't really geared to anyone other than Chinese passengers.
And apparently the pilots smoking and frequently lost luggage, so I've heard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.