Wiki Posts
Search

"Additional Fees May Apply"?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - seesaws between no status and Silver; HH Diamond
Question "Additional Fees May Apply"?

I'm about to book a RT IAD-LHR on Delta, but flight is on Virgin metal (Upper Class). There was a small notation that the flight was operated by Virgin and that additional fees may apply. Then at checkout, there was this in the fine print: "You may see separate transactions to your credit card based on the vendors and the products you are purchasing. Amounts may vary dependant on the rate of exchange at time of transaction." I don't want to book what I think is the final cost only to be surprised with a large additional payment - amount of which is unknown up front. I know I can call Delta but in the interest of saving time and frustration - anyone have experience with this that can let me know if there will be a surprise charge on my credit card? Thank you!!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I think that what this refers to is that you have to pay for seat assignments on VS if you don't have any sort of status. That's the only "additional fee" I've ever run into when flying with them (same can apply on KL and AF, depending on what type of flight you're on - e.g. intra-Europe vs. long-haul).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - seesaws between no status and Silver; HH Diamond
Thanks, @Cory6188 ... I don't think I've ever flown on Delta (we live in a United hub area) so I didn't know if this was something to be concerned about. When looking on the Virgin site, the same flight booked directly through them is more expensive (by several hundred dollars).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by myburg
Thanks, @Cory6188 ... I don't think I've ever flown on Delta (we live in a United hub area) so I didn't know if this was something to be concerned about. When looking on the Virgin site, the same flight booked directly through them is more expensive (by several hundred dollars).
Standard when booking a flight on a partner (even UA) they let you know additional fees may apply. Don't want you shocked that VS charges a seat assignment fee.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
You won’t have fees if you’re traveling UC and don’t have too much luggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.