Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused by Comfort+ Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by JeffCO
<snip> Regardless, I have yet to see any real factual reason why you shouldn't be able to specify all your preferences for C+ upgrades at the time of booking, i.e., three checkboxes for your willingness to accept an upgrade to window, aisle, and middle.
I researched this earlier this year, and while I can't prove it to be a "real factual reason", I would bet it is a factor.

I wonder if this is part of the difficulty with them implementing a "No C+ Middle" preference setting for our profiles. At first blush it seems like it would be easy to just exclude B and E seats. But in reality, they would need to not only account for aircraft type, but also figure out logic for addressing equipment changes.

According to SeatGuru, the middle seats on the various Delta aircraft are:
  • A330: D, F
  • A350 E, F for PS, B, E, H for Y
  • B767: D
  • B777: B, E, H
  • A319/320/321: B, E
  • B717: D
  • B737: B, E
  • B757: B, E
  • E175: None
  • MD88: B
  • MD90: D
  • CRJ 100/200/700/900: None
  • E145: None
So, it would appear that the only seat designations in use which are *never* a middle are A, C, and G (and J on the 777).

The question becomes, "how do you define 'middle seat'?" When you are sitting on a plane, it's easy. But programmatically... that is a *lot* of nested if/then/else statements. Unless they are going to standardize the seat designations across the fleet, which would be kind of weird if you found yourself sitting in 12J on a CRJ200.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rikramer
I don't think this is correct. At least not my experience today. C+ seats never became available for me select. Despite most of the seats remaining empty for the flight.
This means that there was no upgrade inventory available. Open seats doesnt mean theyre available for upgrade. If there is upgrade inventory you can simply select a seat and it'll process.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:41 pm

So let me get this straight. You had a middle seat in economy and didnt want to be upgraded to C+ because you were concerned you may get a middle seat in C+? I normally just let myself get upgraded and then just rearrange myself on the app or at the gate. If you are happy with middle emergency row, then most likely you would be happy with middle C+ unless you dont drink on flights and value zero recline for a little more leg room. I personally prefer a free adult beverage and a touch of recline over strictly leg room, but then again I am only 6'1"
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sevastras
So let me get this straight. You had a middle seat in economy and didnt want to be upgraded to C+ because you were concerned you may get a middle seat in C+? I normally just let myself get upgraded and then just rearrange myself on the app or at the gate. If you are happy with middle emergency row, then most likely you would be happy with middle C+ unless you dont drink on flights and value zero recline for a little more leg room. I personally prefer a free adult beverage and a touch of recline over strictly leg room, but then again I am only 6'1"
OP originally had an aisle seat in the main cabin, as stated in the first post. Third sentence.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:06 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Might some of this have to do with some C+ seats set aside for gate control? Several times as FO, I've checked off the C+ upgrade box, but there's no automatic upgrade at T-24 and the seat map shows C+ as full - but closer to departure (like T-4) I'll clear into a bulkhead C+ seat. (Which I think is because of gate controlled seats, but maybe there's something else happening with upgrade inventory?) Of course being the among the last assigned C+ seats, there aren't other open C+ seats to switch with if it's a middle, but I do appreciate the legroom and drink!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryw
Might some of this have to do with some C+ seats set aside for gate control? Several times as FO, I've checked off the C+ upgrade box, but there's no automatic upgrade at T-24 and the seat map shows C+ as full - but closer to departure (like T-4) I'll clear into a bulkhead C+ seat. (Which I think is because of gate controlled seats, but maybe there's something else happening with upgrade inventory?) Of course being the among the last assigned C+ seats, there aren't other open C+ seats to switch with if it's a middle, but I do appreciate the legroom and drink!
Could be someone with higher status cleared into F closer to departure and that same sweep brought you up to C+ but for whatever reason RM releases to upgrades before the flight goes to gate control and GA for upgrade processing.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryw
Most flights have a seat or two blocked in the bulkhead row. This is done in case any disabled passengers in Y request it. Until the gate releases them they can't be selected/upgraded to.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
As a DM, I get bump into C+ shortly after booking it appears... I know people love upgrades but C+ is not all that better on many of Delta's aircraft. 767 and some 757 have a lot of emergency exit C+ seats and those are PURE TORTURE, I'd take a regular economy seat any day. Those seats have rock hard seat padding and seat back, and no padded arm rest, or better yet, a completely shifted arm rest on the window seat. I lost count of times of coming off a transoceanic flight with a sore neck and back when I was in those seats...

Truth be told, I had better seats when I was Silver and Gold. Many of the prefer seats are actually better.

The C+ extra recline might be good for you but you will realize it's not so good when the person in front of decide to do a full recline. The feeling for you is actually worse, compare to normal economy seats.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wlau
As a DM, I get bump into C+ shortly after booking it appears... I know people love upgrades but C+ is not all that better on many of Delta's aircraft. 767 and some 757 have a lot of emergency exit C+ seats and those are PURE TORTURE, I'd take a regular economy seat any day. Those seats have rock hard seat padding and seat back, and no padded arm rest, or better yet, a completely shifted arm rest on the window seat. I lost count of times of coming off a transoceanic flight with a sore neck and back when I was in those seats...

Truth be told, I had better seats when I was Silver and Gold. Many of the prefer seats are actually better.

The C+ extra recline might be good for you but you will realize it's not so good when the person in front of decide to do a full recline. The feeling for you is actually worse, compare to normal economy seats.
I'm also not a fan of the exit row

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.