Search

JFK for dummies (i.e., me)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
JFK for dummies (i.e., me)

Apologies for such a basic question, which I’m sure would easily be answered if my search skills were better.

My kid is flying JFK-SFO tomorrow on DL1490 in J (Z inventory). Checked in, BP printed and no checked bags. No pre-check (note to self: time to renew her GE).

What terminal should I tell her to go to to clear security? Will she have lounge access?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:07 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's the simplest, least-complicated path:

Her flight is scheduled to depart from T4 Gate B33 (as of now; check before departing for airport) and yes, she gets SkyClub access.

If taking AirTrain from Howard Beach or Jamaica, the stop is inside T4, one level below departures. She should walk through the DL check-in counters and kiosks directly to the Sky Priority check in lane; the entrance is on the right side of the terminal. If being dropped off, she should ask to be dropped towards the start of the terminal, near the skycaps.

It takes about 7-10 min to walk from TSA to the SkyClub. The departure gate is pretty near the club.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 18, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's the simplest, least-complicated path:

Her flight is scheduled to depart from T4 Gate B33 (as of now; check before departing for airport) and yes, she gets SkyClub access.

If taking AirTrain from Howard Beach or Jamaica, the stop is inside T4, one level below departures. She should walk through the DL check-in counters and kiosks directly to the Sky Priority check in lane; the entrance is on the right side of the terminal. If being dropped off, she should ask to be dropped towards the start of the terminal, near the skycaps.

It takes about 7-10 min to walk from TSA to the SkyClub. The departure gate is pretty near the club.
Perfect. Thanks.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:51 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Another JFK newbie/dummy question - is there a dedicated FO lane/desk in T4, and if so where is it? Last time I was there I couldn't find it, and since the SkyPriority lane excludes silver medallions, I just ended up waiting in the regular bag dropoff line.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Since when does the SkyPriority lane exclude Silvers? I never been turned away even when not in 1st or c+ at T4 although as of late I check in at t2 and take the jitney to t4
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:16 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Since when does the SkyPriority lane exclude Silvers? I never been turned away even when not in 1st or c+ at T4 although as of late I check in at t2 and take the jitney to t4
Ah, perhaps I should've just gone for it then! Normally at most stations there's the little line at the bottom of the SkyPriority checkin lane sign that says "Silver Medallion" but I didn't see it on the T4 sign. (I was in a bit of a rush though, so it's possible I just missed it - I don't go through JFK that often, even less so landside, so I'm less familiar with the layout or their checkin area).
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ryw
Ah, perhaps I should've just gone for it then! Normally at most stations there's the little line at the bottom of the SkyPriority checkin lane sign that says "Silver Medallion" but I didn't see it on the T4 sign. (I was in a bit of a rush though, so it's possible I just missed it - I don't go through JFK that often, even less so landside, so I'm less familiar with the layout or their checkin area).
If you are eligible for SkyPriority, you'll see a SkyPriority red logo on your boarding pass. That's all you need to access a SkyPriority lane.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Using this to ask a different question -- I'm flying DL to JFK to connect with an MU flight to PVG. Pretty sure I'll arrive at a gate at the far end of T4-B.
Rather than the long walk and then the train, might it make more sense to take the bus over to T2 and then walk over to T1. I did that years ago (T3 was still around) when connecting from DL to AF. Thanks to any folks more savvy on JFK.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
If you are eligible for SkyPriority, you'll see a SkyPriority red logo on your boarding pass. That's all you need to access a SkyPriority lane.
And per delta, if there is no dedicated FO lane you can use the SkyPriority Lane.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
JFK T4 has a dedicated counter for FO which is outside of the big red SkyPriority area.
CPMaverick, btonkid12345 and ryw like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:06 pm

I guess I just blew threw it and no one ever stopped me.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I guess I just blew threw it and no one ever stopped me.
No. I have had the T-4 dragons guarding the SP lane, stop me two years ago, but that was the only time.
The Silver Medallion lane was unmanned.

IF i get past the dragons, I have never had a problem once I got to the counter.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Note that you must be at least 18 to access the SkyClub, so if your child is a teenager they will not be able to access it if traveling alone even if their ticket would otherwise permit it.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ryw
I had this issue the other day in T4. Asked about the FO lane, and two different employees told me to go to the regular bag drop. I promptly turned around to the SkyPriority checkin and was processed without issue.

A bit troubling multiple employees don't know their own policy!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
another noob question...i fly out of jfk often but never check a bag and always use a mobile boarding pass so ive always skipped the skypriority check in area. is there a priority/tsa pre security line in it? i usually just go straight to the main tsa pre line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.