Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Per FAA - water bottles cannot be in seat backs in FC

Ok, I've had this on maybe two or three flights this year (out of 50 or so legs), but today's flight DAY to ATL DL1521, the Flight Attendants were adamant about the bottles could not be stored in the seat back during takeoff and landing, nor on the armrests or seat. They had to be put "away". Multiple times they referenced that this was "Per FAA Policy". So, anyone know the regs they are quoting? Oh, and why isn't it enforced on all flights if it is an FAA policy?
Old May 22, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
More importantly, what does "put away" mean if not in seatbacks?

Rare but sometimes the flight attendants actually put them in the seatbacks rather than the arm-tables when boarding.

I'd almost rather get rid of the water. It's always a game of "where do I put it" and I rarely drink it.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Original FAA rules said only magazines and passenger information cards were allowed in seat pockets. Later was clarified to allow small, lightweight items such as "eyeglasses or a cellphone" so long as total weight of items in pocket does not exceed 3 pounds and does not block evacuation. Somewhat confusing as the old rules can still be found in many places. Maybe bring a scale with you next time?

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v0...03_033_006.pdf
Old May 22, 2019, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be precise, it is DL's safety & security policy which is then filed with the FAA. Once filed, it becomes enforceable as an FAA rule. To the passenger, it's the same thing. No water bottle in seatback pocket means no water in seatback pocket. If it isn't enforced, that's on DL. It it is, it's on you.

My preference is that nothing goes in the seatback pocket which poses a significant harm if it flies into someone's face in turbulence or worse. Either you hold it or it gets stowed. The reason seems fairly clear.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Ok, I've had this on maybe two or three flights this year (out of 50 or so legs), but today's flight DAY to ATL DL1521, the Flight Attendants were adamant about the bottles could not be stored in the seat back during takeoff and landing, nor on the armrests or seat. They had to be put "away". Multiple times they referenced that this was "Per FAA Policy". So, anyone know the regs they are quoting? Oh, and why isn't it enforced on all flights if it is an FAA policy?
Discussed at length in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...r-bottles.html
CO-PLAT, jdrtravel and nancypants like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
To be precise, it is DL's safety & security policy which is then filed with the FAA. Once filed, it becomes enforceable as an FAA rule. To the passenger, it's the same thing. No water bottle in seatback pocket means no water in seatback pocket. If it isn't enforced, that's on DL. It it is, it's on you.

My preference is that nothing goes in the seatback pocket which poses a significant harm if it flies into someone's face in turbulence or worse. Either you hold it or it gets stowed. The reason seems fairly clear.
Does DL mainline have such a rule? IIRC it was some DeltaConnection carriers that had this in their official rules filed with the FAA.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

My preference is that nothing goes in the seatback pocket which poses a significant harm if it flies into someone's face in turbulence or worse.
Has there EVER been a documented injury due to flying water bottle?
HDQDD likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by indufan
Has there EVER been a documented injury due to flying water bottle?
Good point......and yet I was on a recent DL flight where my seatmate was explicitly allowed by two FAs (including the lead) to use a rather chunky laptop throughout the flight, including during taxi, takeoff, and landing. It was not a tablet and it was definitely a lot bigger and especially thicker than my MacBook, plus it had rather sharp looking corners (compared to my little baby computer).
Old May 22, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... I was on a recent DL flight where my seatmate was explicitly allowed by two FAs (including the lead) to use a rather chunky laptop throughout the flight, including during taxi, takeoff, and landing. It was not a tablet and it was definitely a lot bigger and especially thicker than my MacBook, plus it had rather sharp looking corners (compared to my little baby computer).
I trust you sent an appropriately-worded complaint to DL customer service!
Old May 22, 2019, 2:36 pm

Not yet, but I'm thinking about it. I know the brand of the laptop so I want to google how much that brick would have weighed.

The ironic thing is that (from loud cell phone calls that I was forced to overhear) the seatmate seemed to work in the health insurance industry.

Fortunately there was no aborted landing, go around, or sudden stop on the tarmac, so no humans or fake ESAs were harmed.
LAX-1K likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good point......and yet I was on a recent DL flight where my seatmate was explicitly allowed by two FAs (including the lead) to use a rather chunky laptop throughout the flight, including during taxi, takeoff, and landing. It was not a tablet and it was definitely a lot bigger and especially thicker than my MacBook, plus it had rather sharp looking corners (compared to my little baby computer).
We won't allow a water bottle in a seatback pocket, but we'll totally go for infants in arms. Makes total sense!
Old May 22, 2019, 3:14 pm

This is somewhat sporadically enforced on regional carriers, but rarely on mainline. That being said, my last mainline flight, this was strictly enforced. I do not care about enforcement on regional jets, because I have conceded that they are just going to make up the rules as they go along and I am going to be a lot less cranky if I just go along with what they say and don't think twice about it. I have taken for granted that mainline uses common sense, and so it does make me grumpy when they go and enforce a rule like this, yet on that mainline flight the people across the aisle from me had a laptop in the seatback pocket on takeoff and the other was using an iPad, both of which weigh more than the 8 oz of water you get.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:17 pm

I think the FAA rule referenced in the other thread said something like “food and beverages served by the airline must be stowed for takeoff/landing.”
Old May 22, 2019, 7:22 pm

if the turbulence is bad enough that an item would fly out of the seatback pocket, it's WAY more than enough to cause someone to lose their grip on that item.
HDQDD likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
You're obviously not an engineer. A loose water bottle is somewhere on the magnitude of >100000 times more likely to hurt someone than one that is stowed in a seatback pocket with a strong spring retainer. I've seen more people injured by an FA's beverage cart than by a 8.5oz water bottle. In fact I'm not aware of anyone ever getting injured by flying 8.5oz water bottles.

If a plane incurs enough force to knock something that small out of a closed seatback, you're already dead. Even if you weren't the flying smartphones, tablets, and bags from the overhead bins would get you first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.