Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Definitive Thread: Rules in FC with pre-flight water bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

ATL-AUS. Boarded as normal and everyone had the little water bottles. Normal boarding and received additional drink. One of the FAs then went through he cabin and multiple people were told they couldn't put it int the seat back pocket because it was dangerous and could become a projectile. I was told the same thing when he asked to pick it up so I put it into the pocket. Never heard of this or seen a cabin crew so aggressive trying to get these water bottles picked back up.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
I traveled in F ATL-MKE last week and was never told I couldn't put my water bottle in the seat pocket. I just put it there and no one said anything.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I’ve seen the same thing VERY randomly over the past two years. I’d say 1/10 flights an FA will mention it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

I always stick mine there and given how stretched out the pockets are, so does everyone else
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Usually depends on how well it's wedged into the pocket. I usually see them speak up when people have made a halfhearted attempt, like shoving it into the tiny too-small water bottle pocket tip first with the main body of the bottle dangling out, or nestling it in a pile of magazines in a bulkhead pocket, or clipping it into the pocket with half the bottle still visible where a bump could cause it to launch out the top of the pocket. I've never seen anyone object if the bottle is shoved all the way down into the pocket and no longer visible.

My solution is simple - wedge it between my posterior and the corner of the seat. Never once had an objection with that strategy
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Mine and my neighbor’s water bottles are currently like this at this very moment. 😂 Some rule.
MSPeconomist and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I always stick mine there and given how stretched out the pockets are, so does everyone else
That's my routine as well (after seeing more than a few water bottles go flying down the center armrest on take off). My presumption is that those who just leave them sitting there on the table are rookie flyers. Sometimes I'll put arm nearby my seatmate's bottle as a guard in case they start to run. You can always put them in the lower pockets if the upper ones are too tight. The exceptions are bulkhead seats where both can be tight (I just put them in my seat in those cases).
davetravels likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:01 pm

This is technically a FAR under 14 CFR 121.577. It may not always be enforced consistently, but it is the law.

§ 121.577 Stowage of food, beverage, and passenger service equipment during airplane movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing.
(a) No certificate holder may move an airplane on the surface, take off, or land when any food, beverage, or tableware furnished by the certificate holder is located at any passenger seat.
(b) No certificate holder may move an airplane on the surface, take off, or land unless each food and beverage tray and seat back tray table is secured in its stowed position.
(c) No certificate holder may permit an airplane to move on the surface, take off, or land unless each passenger serving cart is secured in its stowed position.
(d) No certificate holder may permit an airplane to move on the surface, take off, or land unless each movie screen that extends into an aisle is stowed.
(e) Each passenger shall comply with instructions given by a crewmember with regard to compliance with this section.

Cornell LII Source
DL Platinum and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does "at any passenger seat" mean exactly?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What does "at any passenger seat" mean exactly?
One could argue that the seatback is still at the passenger seat area, but I dont know of any federal or legal interpretations of the FAR.

At my airline (WN), the FA Manual explicitly states that all service items are to be collected by FAs prior to movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing. Since the manual is the FAA approved SOP for our certificate, then that is the clarity for our interpretation. I cannot speak to what the DL manual instructs.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
To me, putting it behind the seat is actually more secure than leaving it sitting on the arm rest, which other pax and I have done many times without complaints.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So, it's a rule which is spottily enforced. If something does happen, it may result in liability for DL to the injured passenger, DL may be fined, the FA fined, and disciplined.

Once enforced, e.g. FA tells you to move the thing, it's a valid crewmember instruction so not something to argue about.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BenA

My solution is simple - wedge it between my posterior and the corner of the seat. Never once had an objection with that strategy
My solution as well, although it can make for warm water for coffee or tea
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
As with anything inflight. It is how the FA’s enforce it. I have had bottles in the seat back. No comment, from the crew. I have properly stored items under the seat in front of me and also left them out at my feet. Same with PDB’s. Also in the old days when you could not have electronics on (headphones and other electonics) below 10,000 feet, some times they would call you out and sometimes they would not. Laptops as well. It is all random, depending upon the crew. Also seat backs and tray tables. I have been on flights where they say nothing when people are reclined or have their tray tables down during landing.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
As with anything inflight. It is how the FA’s enforce it. I have had bottles in the seat back. No comment, from the crew. I have properly stored items under the seat in front of me and also left them out at my feet. Same with PDB’s. Also in the old days when you could not have electronics on (headphones and other electonics) below 10,000 feet, some times they would call you out and sometimes they would not. Laptops as well. It is all random, depending upon the crew. Also seat backs and tray tables. I have been on flights where they say nothing when people are reclined or have their tray tables down during landing.
I was under the impression that most of these things are actually FAA regulations and not optional airline policies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.