Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Great J to Europe award tix sale right now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great J to Europe award tix sale right now

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Booked JFK-BCN for three in February. I already have a summer booking, but it was 231K miles for C+ while here I'm getting D1 for 294K miles. Now, since it was summer I could book longer than a week, build in an eight hour layover in AMS to get a bite to eat in town, but BCN is almost 90 degrees in summer. And, I didn't have any plans yet for spring break so I booked it and now we can discuss when to go for the next couple months. The non-stops in February are sadly 767-400s, while the summer nonstops are A330s.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: DL DM
....! Here I was 2 weeks ago panicking to make sure I booked a SEA-AMS round trip. Used miles for a D1 upgrade..

Now an almost identical route is much much cheaper. If I were to try and rearrange it and make a second booking, would my only option be to pay a change fee for a flight Long way down the road and hope for a 30+ minute change allowing me to cancel completely? I am DM if it helps.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The published rule is greater than 90-minute change, not 30. (Or misconnect/below MCT.)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AntonS
In April

SEA - DTW - FCO in J
CDG - SEA in Y (with free upgrade to C+)

62K total.

Good deal!
Just to make sure - you searched for the roundtrip in J, but picked J on the way out and Y back, and it still priced at 49K outbound in J and 13K return in Y?

Did you just pick from different columns while selecting or what? Usually it allows J on the return with Y on the outbound, but not the other way around like you have...

Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
This is a very good deal compared to other redemption I've made. I already booked one ticket and may book another one.
Dates are not perfect, but I will take it.

Keep in mind, I normally book 70k OW to Europe. Assuming you are one that already is willing to spend that, 98k for RT is great.
OWs to Europe are now 86K minimum. The 70K level is gone.

Only 12K more miles to get the return in D1 (suites)? Yes, please.

Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
....! Here I was 2 weeks ago panicking to make sure I booked a SEA-AMS round trip. Used miles for a D1 upgrade..

Now an almost identical route is much much cheaper. If I were to try and rearrange it and make a second booking, would my only option be to pay a change fee for a flight Long way down the road and hope for a 30+ minute change allowing me to cancel completely? I am DM if it helps.
I would book the new one with miles that's cheaper.

The system could auto cancel one or both as a duplicate and then you can have the one you want reinstated.

Or, book the new one, call and ask nicely what they can do for your other duplicate. They may just let you refund it now (don't forget operating carrier changes also allow for a change or refund for free)
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I looked yesterday, talked to my wife today, and now literally every single (same) trip we want to take is >250K Sky Pesos.

Either they had a seat here and there, or they sold out those award levels in record time.

Suckage. Complete and total suckage.
Check again now. They seem to have reloaded a bunch of inventory.

A flight where I bought the last 98K ticket last night is now showing 4 additional seats on that same flight available now again for the 98K level.

And another flight I bought that had a 10 hour layover now has 1, 4, and 7 hour layover options too for the same price (where last night they were 2x or more).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by slykens
I wouldn't call it great, per se, but good enough to entice me to finally book award J with DL for the first time in six years.

Most other programs still beat the pants off SM for premium redemption - and this offer at 98k still doesn't meet those programs' regular offerings.
I snagged 2 RT to Dublin for late March/early April trip (which we'd been thinking about doing anyway), and then our friends immediately booked the same deal. Cash price was almost $7k, so around 7 cents/mile redemption. That's a darn good redemption in my book.
obscure2k and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm curious what incentivizes DL to offer this much discounted award J inventory? Does it help them clear out a bunch of miles from the books all at once?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
IAH-MSP-CDG for 98K RT for 2 of us in February with good connections on the 777 suites.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Check again now. They seem to have reloaded a bunch of inventory.
Thanks for the tip! I was checking for different itineraries last night for better options than my original booking, but didn't find anything. I was able to change from CDG to AMS this morning, now on A330 out, A350 back!
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:27 am

Booked JAX-ATL-CDG-ATL-JAX in February. 98k miles plus $133. New 777 suites. What a deal! Thanks for posting this.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm curious what incentivizes DL to offer this much discounted award J inventory? Does it help them clear out a bunch of miles from the books all at once?
Probably not. They hold a lot of miles on the books. 345 Billion (with a B) SkyMiles were redeemed in 2017 for 14.9 million awards according to the annual report. (Compare that to the number of D1 seats flown to Europe over the promo period.) As for Delta's the liability for miles, it's not trivial, but valuations get split into multiple components. Only the transportation component - when you fly on an award ticket - has the revenue deferred. The marketing component - say, the award of miles by Amex - gets recognized immediately. The trope of 'getting miles off the books' doesn't really have much value in this situation.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Probably not. They hold a lot of miles on the books. 345 Billion (with a B) SkyMiles were redeemed in 2017 for 14.9 million awards according to the annual report. (Compare that to the number of D1 seats flown to Europe over the promo period.) As for Delta's the liability for miles, it's not trivial, but valuations get split into multiple components. Only the transportation component - when you fly on an award ticket - has the revenue deferred. The marketing component - say, the award of miles by Amex - gets recognized immediately. The trope of 'getting miles off the books' doesn't really have much value in this situation.

So then it's just about building brand value & loyalty for Sky Miles?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The published rule is greater than 90-minute change, not 30. (Or misconnect/below MCT.)
Ok. For what I'd want to do I don't think I have the time to go through all the work to change and not know 100% it would work. Seems risky and time consuming..

I booked here Upgrade w/ Miles, Milage Value 2x tickets for $1,200/ea, and 65k each leg for D1. I would want to change 1 passenger to full cash fare and the other passenger to the special offer.

Advice?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS Peon
The route I was going to book (SEA-AMS, AMS-PDX-SEA) was available, I transferred over 10k MR to top off for the redemption, and then it was gone... It was going to be my first time to Europe, first time flying J/F, anniversary trip with my SO, etc. and its just gone. That hurt.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by emag_eh7
The route I was going to book (SEA-AMS, AMS-PDX-SEA) was available, I transferred over 10k MR to top off for the redemption, and then it was gone... It was going to be my first time to Europe, first time flying J/F, anniversary trip with my SO, etc. and its just gone. That hurt.
When I was looking at SEA-AMS-SEA options I was seeing plenty through airports like SLC, LAX, MSP and DTW. Those routes were not an option for you? Some of the other routes are in the new D1 Suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.