Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta (confirmed) adds 10 more A330-900NEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Delta adds 10 more A330-900NEO. It will total 35 A330-900NEOs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...e=businessNews

Not sure when the schedule to be delivery.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Nov 16, 2018 at 9:13 am Reason: story confirmed
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Are they planning some sort of Asia expansion? Where could they possibly be sending them?

So now 4/5 aircraft orders in the past decade have gone to Airbus. And people doubted me when I said the relationship between Boeing and Delta is damaged beyond repair. Delta's pride is so enormous it's just sad. They don't have appropriate aircraft for their network because that would mean admitting they were wrong to forego the 787. United is killing Delta in Asia.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Are they planning some sort of Asia expansion? Where could they possibly be sending them?

So now 4/5 aircraft orders in the past decade have gone to Airbus. And people doubted me when I said the relationship between Boeing and Delta is damaged beyond repair. Delta's pride is so enormous it's just sad. They don't have appropriate aircraft for their network because that would mean admitting they were wrong to forego the 787. United is killing Delta in Asia.
LOL - what? I have no bone to pick in Airbus vs. Boeing (except maybe for the fact I appreciate the extra inch of seatwidth I get in Y on Airbus products) but you're being a little ridiculous. A330neos will be perfectly fine on both US-Europe and West Coast to Asia routes if Delta wants to use them that way.

What makes the 787 so special versus the A350 or A330neo? Whatever competitive advantage a 787 has over the A330neo I am sure Airbus made up for in discounts. Delta loves to have a mix of fuel efficient planes and capital efficient planes so that they can ramp up and ramp down in response to demand (although the A330 isn't that bad from an efficiency perspective anyways).

Regarding Asia, United is killing Delta because (a) they have the right hub and slots to support it and (b) they're willing to jump into the blood bath that is US-Asia routes and fight for market share. Delta isn't. Two different approaches, neither is right or wrong. The 787 isn't the main causative factor there.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I just pray for normal A330 seats and not suites.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:53 pm

Is anyone making money flying US to Asia right now? When one can get a a flight BOS to SIN leaving TOMORROW (11/15) for $1,037, and leaving Monday (11/19) for $793, I can't imagine a 787, A350, Soyuz Rocket, a hang glider, or any other machine capable of flight making the difference on profitability on TPAC routes right now.

And just to show that's not an outlier, I'm grabbing some random US cities and Asian cities leaving 11/19 and back 11/23

BDL/PVG - 1 stop - $602 on AC
PBI/BKK - 2 stops - $980 on UA/HK
MSY/MNL - 2 stops $1,208 on CX
MCI/KUL - 2 stops $1,124 DL/KE
LAX/DPS - 2 stops $456 MF
SFO/PEK - non stop - $514 UA
PDX/HAN - 2 stops $799 AA

I understand that this isn't the peak season to many of those destination and it's just one day, but it's pretty consistent that one can fly to much of Asia for not a lot.
Airlines may be able to make it up with ancillary fees or cargo, but to me at least I doubt the 787 is the key to TPAC success.
From the perspective of the DL/UA/AA, they need their JV's in Asia to work much more like their JV's in Europe. There is just too much TPAC capacity to have anyone make consistent money.
syd999, cmx and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal
LOL - what? I have no bone to pick in Airbus vs. Boeing (except maybe for the fact I appreciate the extra inch of seatwidth I get in Y on Airbus products) but you're being a little ridiculous. A330neos will be perfectly fine on both US-Europe and West Coast to Asia routes if Delta wants to use them that way.

What makes the 787 so special versus the A350 or A330neo? Whatever competitive advantage a 787 has over the A330neo I am sure Airbus made up for in discounts. Delta loves to have a mix of fuel efficient planes and capital efficient planes so that they can ramp up and ramp down in response to demand (although the A330 isn't that bad from an efficiency perspective anyways).

Regarding Asia, United is killing Delta because (a) they have the right hub and slots to support it and (b) they're willing to jump into the blood bath that is US-Asia routes and fight for market share. Delta isn't. Two different approaches, neither is right or wrong. The 787 isn't the main causative factor there.
Delta can't even fly SLC-LHR year-round and when it does operate it is a 767. Same goes for SLC-AMS,CDG. If they can't use anything bigger than a 767 on hub-hub flights then routes like IND-CDG, TPA-AMS, ATL-STR, etc won't have a prayer of lasting on a gigantic A330. It's the same problem Pan Am had. They ordered a ton of 747's and couldn't fill them. Their competitors flying the DC-10 and L-1011 faired much better. A smaller aircraft will help you weather an economic downtown.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Delta can't even fly SLC-LHR year-round and when it does operate it is a 767. Same goes for SLC-AMS,CDG. If they can't use anything bigger than a 767 on hub-hub flights then routes like IND-CDG, TPA-AMS, ATL-STR, etc won't have a prayer of lasting on a gigantic A330. It's the same problem Pan Am had. They ordered a ton of 747's and couldn't fill them. Their competitors flying the DC-10 and L-1011 faired much better. A smaller aircraft will help you weather an economic downtown.

??? How would the 787 help? The A330neo and 787-9 have literally identical capacities (and no one is ordering the 788 because the economics of the 789 are just much better).

The hole in the middle of the market (the 767 zone) is well known and documented. There isn't a fix for that - either from Boeing or Airbus. As 767s fade away, routes will be run either slightly over capacity (via A330 or 787) or under capacity (using extended/long range narrowbodies). It is what it is.

Out of all airlines I would say Delta is the last airline that runs routes overcapacity. If a route has low yields, Delta cuts it quickly.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

??? How would the 787 help? The A330neo and 787-9 have literally identical capacities (and no one is ordering the 788 because the economics of the 789 are just much better).

The hole in the middle of the market (the 767 zone) is well known and documented. There isn't a fix for that - either from Boeing or Airbus. As 767s fade away, routes will be run either slightly over capacity (via A330 or 787) or under capacity (using extended/long range narrowbodies). It is what it is.
Boeing is building the 797. The 757/767 replacement. Final engine proposals are due next month. United is expected to be the North America launch customer. With the 787 and 797 United will own the Pacific and Atlantic from the US.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:20 pm

Boeing is building the 797. The 757/767 replacement. Final engine proposals are due next month. United is expected to be the North America launch customer. With the 787 and 797 United will own the Pacific and Atlantic from the US.
Boeing is considering the 797. It does not have board approval yet. And, quite frankly, my hypothesis if it launches at all is that it will end up being a long range narrowbody that no one is going to like. That will have, far and away, the best economics relative to a narrow widebody.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Boeing is considering the 797. It does not have board approval yet. And, quite frankly, my hypothesis if it launches at all is that it will end up being a long range narrowbody that no one is going to like. That will have, far and away, the best economics relative to a narrow widebody.
If Boeing doesn't have commitments then it won't launch the aircraft. It's that simple. And it is estimated they have already poured hundreds of millions into R&D for the 797. You must really think Airbus screwed up with the A380 since it has sold so poorly.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:29 pm

If Boeing doesn't have commitments then it won't launch the aircraft. It's that simple. You must really think Airbus screwed up with the A380.
Given that they literally don't have board approval to do even detailed design of the plane, commitments is a bit of a strong word.

Regarding the A380, it was a failure, no doubt about it. It was a plane built for a future that never took shape: slot restrictions were alleviated by secondary airports that shifted away volume, four engined planes were completely superseded by twin engine due to the economics of it, and point to point has become an increasing focus even in international routes.

Airbus is still trying to keep it alive in hopes of the slot restriction issue resurfacing enough to make it work on some routes, but I don't see it happening.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

Isn't the 797 still in a conceptual phase? I don't think we have any idea what Boeing is planning since I don't think they even know what they are thinking about yet. Hopefully, it's similar to the 767 (still my favorite Boeing type). But, knowing them, it'll become another vessel that airlines can just pack 'em and stack 'em. .
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I just pray for normal A330 seats and not suites.
I think DL is committed to suites on all their international wide-bodies, so I don't see why these would be any different. Though, I did find the J seats in the current A330 quite nice. I don't think the really need to replace that product.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:41 pm

How many years out are 797 deliveries. I cannot see the 767 hanging on that long. I will never do a long haul flight in a narrow body. I have too much self respect to ever do that.
sdadept and ems717 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Isn't the 797 still in a conceptual phase? I don't think we have any idea what Boeing is planning since I don't think they even know what they are thinking about yet. Hopefully, it's similar to the 767 (still my favorite Boeing type). But, knowing them, it'll become another vessel that airlines can just pack 'em and stack 'em. .
I'm guessing Boeing has a pretty good idea of what the 797 will be since the engine manufacturers will need specs for their proposals. My guess is P&W isn't even a consideration with their current troubles. Boeing can't depend on them. GE may also want to be the exclusive engine provider if market forecast is unknown. If GE can scale up the LEAP then they can probably get the 797 underway quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.