Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta (confirmed) adds 10 more A330-900NEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta (confirmed) adds 10 more A330-900NEO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
The issue with intra-Asia partners is that much of the growth is likely to come from LCCs. Air Asia is already the fifth largest airline in the region, bettered only by the Chinese carriers. I would expect the Asian market to remain exceedingly tough.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:32 am

The last delivery schedule was 2 in 2019 (1st quarter) and 2 sometime in 2020. The last 10 have been moved out to 2025 or later.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Simultaneously, Delta has agreed to terms with Airbus to reduce its near-term A350-900 purchase commitment to a total of 15 aircraft from 25. The 10 previously on order A350 aircraft have been deferred to 2025-26 with certain flexibility rights including the right to convert these orders to A330-900s.

From the Delta press release.
The decision is a win/win for Delta and Airbus. Airbus currently has tremendous pressure on their A350 production, and Delta deferring their ten A350s for nearly a decade helps relieve some of that pressure. Simultaneously, the A330neo has been a slow seller, and you can bet Airbus was willing to give some very favorable concessions in order to keep the production lines moving at an efficient pace. Delta gets bargain-priced new planes, with the latest engine technology on an airframe Delta clearly loves; Airbus gets more volume in a slow-selling product and lower production pressure on a product they're struggling to meet demand with. Win/Win.

Originally Posted by BenA
Yields are indeed trash out of LA to Asia, but MF is maybe the wrong airline to cite as the reason why. They offer normal fares on routes where they are competitive, and these crazy $500-ish deals on connecting itineraries that involve a double hop XMN-SZX or similar with an 18+ hour layover.

My willingness to be abused by SkyTeam airlines for miles is crazy high, and even I haven’t been able to bring myself to take advantage of one of these 38-hour-total trips. Maybe someday I’ll take advantage of the opportunity to see Xiamen, but these flights are timed so poorly they aren’t serious competition for connecting traffic - just south China O&D.

The rest of your examples stand, or course - just wanted to fall out this particular data point.
Cargo. Cargo. Cargo.
Cargo revenue is up 25% and is expected to increase. Frankly, the cargo space is more valuable than the passenger space on a lot of these flights. I'd imagine the cargo's schedule is also more valuable to the airline.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Wonder if.........

QUOTE:
"While the operator is not identified in the filing to the US FAA, Delta Air Lines is the only US carrier with A330-900s on order."

Airbus to fit 29 mini-suites in US carrier's A330neos

01 DECEMBER, 2018 SOURCE: FLIGHT DASHBOARD BY: DAVID KAMINSKI-MORROW

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...330neo-454074/
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Wonder if.........

QUOTE:
"While the operator is not identified in the filing to the US FAA, Delta Air Lines is the only US carrier with A330-900s on order."

If I whine in the public comment period to the FAA, can I get these switched back to the classic reverse herringbone seats?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Wonder if.........

QUOTE:

Good find!

That seems a little short on PS seats but if they're going to have Comfort+, too, perhaps the mix is fair.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Good find!

That seems a little short on PS seats but if they're going to have Comfort+, too, perhaps the mix is fair.
That's probably all that can fit in the front cabin, assuming that the layout is similar to the current A333s. The Suites probably take up a bit more room, hence the decrease in number from 36 D1 seats to 29 Suites.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Good find!

They're probably finding the demand for PS for flights to/from Asia is a bit soft or the revenue premium for PE on those flights can't justify the cost of providing that level of service. Didn't they install a fairly large number of PS seats on the A359s? (40?)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by kop84
I'd agree with you. DL seems to have little interest in "vanity" routes. They even scratched JFK/TYO, ATL/DXB and HKG to anywhere! So having a plane capable of those and further at a higher price point doesn't seem wise.

Until TPAC fares can support routes like SEA/SIN, I doubt DL sees any reason to jump into the fray on those routes. Now if that ever happens I think DL will be in a position to get those planes in time, as it's likely going to take some mergers, some strong JV's, some carriers going bankrupt, and those are not typically fast things.
There's no way they're going to start SEA/SIN when SQ is jumping in on it. DL will burn cash flying it even if they manage to fill the plane up.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ab2013
They're probably finding the demand for PS for flights to/from Asia is a bit soft or the revenue premium for PE on those flights can't justify the cost of providing that level of service. Didn't they install a fairly large number of PS seats on the A359s? (40?)
Yes, but they've said they're going back to add Comfort+ to the 359s. I don't assume those will all be grabbed from Main Cabin. We may see a new PS count on 359s.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Why? Because of the slightly higher cabin pressure and relative humidity?
YES!
I can really tell the difference on a 14+ hour flight. And if flying in the back, it makes so much difference since it's so much harder for me to sleep compared to J.
When I took the DTW-NRT flight, it was the first time ever in 40+ years of flying that I actually based the itinerary on the equipment.
And as I said, it was a significant difference and looked at it as a solution because as I have gotten older, red-eyes will little sleep have caused me to feel sick.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ab2013
There's no way they're going to start SEA/SIN when SQ is jumping in on it. DL will burn cash flying it even if they manage to fill the plane up.
Actually, they already announced it in a few months ago. It will be on A350-900XWB, not on an ULH aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.